• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vetachef lorikeet taste trial

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
:crycry2: Mine hasn't arrived yet :crycry2:

Hope your lories like it, Does it still have the same awful smell as the Golden Lori formula?

Reactions: JAM

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I wasn't going to open it in the office but I just have to sniff it now everyone thinks I am a weirdo! :lol:

It's not as bad as the golden Lori no but still has a strong smell, not sweet its a bit biscuit like. Wombaroo smells really sweet its more like a stronger smelling Passwells.

Looks nice tho.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I'm glad the smell isn't so bad. I'm hoping my birds like it as I may switch over if it's good. When I was making my own mix I used Bee Pollen and I could see a difference in their appearance, The man I get my Vetafarm products from drives down to Sydney regularly to buy stock and brings it back to Brisbane and I get it really cheap compared to the pet stores, so if it works out I will put my order in with him as soon as it is available :)

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If ours like it I would probably mix it in with what we are currently feeding them so we will end up with three or four in one! :lol:

They actually prefer the mix now instead of individual products. Fussy lories!

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
@JAM mine arrived today :dance4: :dance4: :dance4: But it arrived just as I finished feeding everyone so I'll have to wait until this afternoon to try it. It looks like we have to offer our regular food at the same time, this is going to be fun :wacky:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yeah I've done the first one as wet mix.

Two liked it, two turned ther beak up, can you guess which ones??? :D

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
One right and one wrong. :D

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Lucy & Blue??? Anyways, what's Vetachef? What's the difference between golden Lori and the Vetachef thing? Sorry. :lol:Sounds nice! :dance4:

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Pika & Red? :D

I tried my flock this afternoon and offered a bowl of their regular and a bowl of the new mix to each pair. So far it is a major fail, Lily was the only one I saw who actually sat and ate some, Ollie and Precious took a taste shook their heads and ran mile :hehe: , Ginger was in the nest and didn't surface and Fred ignored the wet mix as usually preferring to eat the fresh dry mix, Daisy and Casper tasted and went to their regular food and Fred and the two youngsters also tasted the nest and walked away. Ill also try it dry.

I also found it was really lumpy and I had to resort to putting it through the blender to smooth it out and their recommended water to dry ratio left it a little too thick so I will make it thinner next time. I will try again tomorrow and see if there is a different reaction.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Lucy & Blue??? Anyways, what's Vetachef? What's the difference between golden Lori and the Vetachef thing? Sorry. :lol:Sounds nice! :dance4:
Its a new blend made by Vetafarm that is currently on a trial, JAM and I signed up and got free trial samples for our flocks to taste test :D

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Cool! Hope your flock enjoys it tomorrow!

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
One right and one wrong @CheekyBeaks

One right and one wrong also @firdy num num

I found it lumpy too and had to put more water in it as well!

Last edited:

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I think I'm going to mix it up without the hot water and see if it makes a difference with the lumpiness.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Ours prefer it when it is warm. I tried making a paste then adding more water but as you mentioned it kept lumping up.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Another thing was one of the ingredients sucralose is an artificial sweetener and I'm not too keen seeing that in the ingredients, so will definitely mention that in my feedback form.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am surprised that is in there!

I tried it again this morning and it was so lumpy and hard to mix.

Three now are eating it as a wet mix but one still having a dip then flicking it and walking away.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Me too I found a little info on it on Wikipedia Sucrose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm wary of artificial sweeteners after someone I knew had allergic reactions from using them in their coffee. It seems only about 20-30% is metabolised so I guess it sweetens without a heap of sugar being digested but I'm still not keen.