• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovie update

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
image.jpg So to cut a long story short we've been thinking about this for a while as our flock dynamics have changed and with completely separate out of cage time for all, things were getting hard to monitor and maintain especially as we had to cover the cages of the birds left inside. So if Red was out, Blue was in protective custody, Pika and Licy covered and the lovies covered. Then when Pika and Lucy out, Red is covered and the lovies covered too.

If the lorikeets are out the lovies could be covered during the day for a couple of hours to protect them from being tormented or longer depending on the out of cage time.

J's daughter unfortunately has lost interest in them so the emphasis on their care and training etc has fallen on me and I realise that I just cannot give them the attention they need and deserve.
They really would like to be centre of attention but they can't at our place.
They are fighting for position with lorikeets who well, size does matter and the lorikeets do make it clear to the lovies of this! Red I know would kill them which is always on my mind when either are out of their cages.

A friend of ours mentioned last night he was looking for a pair of lovebirds (he's previously owned lovies) and I asked if he wanted to have a look at taking ours on board. No fee I just want a damn good home where they can be the centre of the home as you can see they want to get involved with things they chirp and cling to the bars wanting to have fun with us.
He came over today and loved them, Peachy stepped up for him although was incredibly shy as you would expect when a new person appears. Fluffy was good and happy to be shepherded back into the cage after a fly around.

We agreed that if after a while things didn't look like they were working out, we would take them back.

So off they went today, he has his own cage but we preferred that they have a transition period from their current cage, over to the new one which is more or less the same. However he keeps everything inside which they are familiar with.
I gave instructions on their preferred schedule, the rotation of fruit and veggies, their current feed (there is three months supply already) and treats amongst other things.

We of course will be able to visit as we are friends which is great that we won't lose touch with the birds.
I was actually really sad to see them drive off but at the same time relatively sure this is the best for them.

They've got to their new place and of course my friend wanted to take them out. I urged him not to and let them have half cover on like I do at home so they have a little retreat. For the first hour or so they hid in the corner but after a while have come down for some food and water which is great. They've also made some chirping noises which is another good sign. :)

I hope we've made the right decision and can always have them back if anything changes.
I catch up with my friend at training on a weekly basis and we also text so I have been getting lots of update already. :)

I have suggested he signs up here as well to learn even more about lovies and bird care, he's going to be a great parront to them I really hope they warm to him!

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
It must have been a hard decision for you but it sounds like it will work out well for all :hug8:

Reactions: JAM

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It must have been a hard decision for you but it sounds like it will work out well for all :hug8:
Yes a lot of thought went into it, we looked into schedules and such.
However, the conclusion was that our household as a mainly lorikeet based flock simply cannot provide the attention they need and they have a right to it.
I think it would be more cruel of us to try to keep going on the way we were and having to keep them covered over periods of the day whilst the brats were out. Similarly to have the brats covered whilst the lovies got their well earned fly around.

Now they are in a household where they are the only two that matter, they will be concentrated on and have so much more time and attention devoted to them. As long as it ends up being a good fit on both sides then it will have been the right decision for us and the lovies.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Well I have an amazing update and it nearly made me cry with happiness.

He had them out (couldn't resist taking them out) and they investigated the new home then perched next to Matt on the couch just chilling...then I got this text

The best update was this:

"Was able to get fluffy to sit on my lap. Had him in the hands patting him but not for too long ! But yeah. A good step in the right direction :)"

I had to ask him whether he definitely meant Fluffy as in the white one and he said yes!
That's amazing because none of us could get Fluffy to be touched we had thought he would always be a hands off bird but I am so, so, so happy to hear that Fluffy is comfy with human contact.
After 24 hours as well. It looks like our gut feeling that these little guys needed a household devoted to them was on the right track.

Things are looking good and I really hope that for Matt, his family and especially the lovies that this works out to be where they belong. :)

image.jpg image.jpg

Rebekka

Meeting neighbors
Wow really glad they're adjusting fine!! It must be such a relief to know that^^ Lovely birds, btw :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sure that was a tough decision to make but it sounds like it was the right decision. I'm glad to hear the lovies are doing so well. :)

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They're such robust little birds and Matt loves the species he's dead set on having lovebirds.
He had a play with the lorikeets but said he couldn't think about owning a larger bird no matter how playful and lovely they look.

He definite had eyes for the lovies and given they're seeming to warm up to him so quick they can obviously tell/sense he is interested in them. :)

He wasn't too sure about taking on older/established birds he'd been told to start again with hand raising babies which is why I said to him this would be a no pressure situation to show him that you can take on older birds and still develop a relationship with them and it would be a lot more stable as they have been through their birdie puberty and their personalities wouldn't fluctuate like it would a baby.
I told him about the changes of favourite person throughout the growing up stages of the lories which he found interesting.

I will see what his updates are for me today. :)

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Seems like they are settling in well!! How old are they!! I'm owned by 1 lovie but have 6 birdies total!!

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:heart: :hug8: Looks like win win situation. .there just adorable. .

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Seems like they are settling in well!! How old are they!! I'm owned by 1 lovie but have 6 birdies total!!
They're over 3 years old now so
Through their initial hormone patch (which was interesting at the time! Anything they could hump they did!).

We are 99% sure they are both male as they do the wiggle butt master nation thing and neither present like a female does.
They have a basket they sleep in and over the 3 odd years we have had them no eggs which is what Matt was really concerned about as two of his previous lovies died from egg binding and he was assured they were male. Turns out tragically they were female.

That's another reason he was happy to take them as he didn't want to go through the heartbreak he already has of handling egg scenarios and neither did his parents.

I just warned him he may need to sacrifice his hand to their "requirements". :lol:

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
They're over 3 years old now so
Through their initial hormone patch (which was interesting at the time! Anything they could hump they did!).

We are 99% sure they are both male as they do the wiggle butt master nation thing and neither present like a female does.
They have a basket they sleep in and over the 3 odd years we have had them no eggs which is what Matt was really concerned about as two of his previous lovies died from egg binding and he was assured they were male. Turns out tragically they were female.

That's another reason he was happy to take them as he didn't want to go through the heartbreak he already has of handling egg scenarios and neither did his parents.

I just warned him he may need to sacrifice his hand to their "requirements". :lol:

:rofl:..........Sacrafice his hand........ :rofl:

:heart: The last text you got!! Seems like it's a match made in heaven!! :heart:

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Awesome updates!

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran