• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to determine the right species for me?

Perocore

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Arik
My thing with dogs is...well you know how not everyone likes birds? Yeah. I honestly just don't like dogs. I don't dislike them, per say, but they just are not a suitable companion for me. I own dogs, and I just don't usually enjoy their company, not like I do rats, rabbits, or, haha, chickens. It's weird, even though I am sure they're emphatic, if they try to comfort me it usually just makes my panic worse, just as humans and horses do. Birds (ranging from parrots to poultry to pigeons to finches), rabbits, rodents, certain fish, and other various animals all comfort me simply by being in the same space as me, but I guess I have a weird phobia of dogs (which is odd because I've been raised around them my whole life and, while our current one has tried attacking me many times, I've never been bitten).

I think a bird raised with traveling might be more used to and accepting of it? I know my sister's conure loves traveling, possibly just because he's happy to be able to go places with her, but he seems to enjoy meeting new people and seeing (and eating) new things. But I know all birds are individuals, so just because my "nephew" Groot loves traveling and is extremely empathetic and loves comforting people, that probably it's very different for most birds, even other GCCs. And chances are I'm looking into birds so much is because I just really enjoy having a little critter sit on my shoulder and chatter in my ear. My wee ratties do it, and even the less-loving birds I've met will still chatter at me and seem to want to converse with me, which helps a lot since most of my anxiety comes from loneliness. I mean, I just absolutely fell in love with the variety of birds I met at the place I worked, but those birds may be so outgoing because they're part of a camp, and meet a lot of troubled kids by the thousands every year, so anxiety and other problems are likely not very new to any of them.

I don't know. This is all quite disheartening, I suppose. Could be that I had a bad day, haha.

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Er, your dog tries to attack you? I can't imagine that's good for your anxiety even if you aren't hurt.
I don't blame you for having issues with dogs (and understand people who just like some species more and not others) but it's kinda abnormal for a dog to attack it's owner unless it has some baggage/prior history, behavior problems, or just poor training. Have you considered getting help for your dog, like consulting a trainer (if you haven't)? Why on earth does he (she?) attack you?

Like the amazingly well tempered birds you met, have you ever met a trained service/therapy dog? Just curious, if you can't form a connection with any dog obviously it doesn't matter what a well behaved dog is like.
I've just have met a lot of people who have a poor impression of dogs because they only know unmannered, ill socialized, and/or poorly trained dogs.
I'm sorry you've had a bad day. :hug8:

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think someone here has a macaw as a service animal. Macaws, conures, and some cockatoos are probably the best suited for what you are looking for, in terms of traveling well and being friendly to new people - if well socialized of course. Perhaps you could find a rescue cockatoo that has been raised to be overdependent on constant attention (not that rare - since baby cockatoos are easily spoiled). Cockatoos that have become so dependent on attention that they scream, pluck, or mutilate themselves are hard to place; so adopting a bird like that might work out well for both of you. But you would really have to go and meet and interact with some and be aware that cockatoos are a LOT of work and very loud.

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
Actually, I feel a bird may be suited to be YOUR ESA. Usually they don't fit but we have rats and I always liken my birds to them. I believe you should look into conures yourself. If you can handle the noise, a Jenday may be perfect. I don't think birds generally make good ESA animals but for a while, Yoshi was my only support for my mental health and he was amazing. You must understand that birds are more independent than dogs, but then you must know such if you've had rats. The Ringnecks you met, I'm given to understand, are classic Ringnecks. Happy to sit with you but only the occasional head scratch is permitted. Conures tend to be more cuddly birds. Actually, thinking about it, read into Quakers if they are legal in your area. Quakers are less dog-like than conures. Learn about mid-sized birds, Quakers, Sun Conures, Jenday Conures, Nanday Conures, Princess Parrot, Regent Parrot, Senegals, Pionus, Meyer's and perhaps Ringnecks. But I believe a Quaker or Jenday may be quite ideal for you. Approx 40 year lifespan I believe, both can be cuddly (that's really an individual thing) and neither are terribly flighty birds. I have a friend with a Quaker who pats him/her all over and hasn't had an issue with it, just need to watch out for 'sexual activity'. Out of breeding season, I do the same with my conures. I think you need to ditch the idea of big birds, they can be quite difficult! And look into that mid-range. Not being a dog-person says a lot about the traits you're looking for!
Look into an adult bird too - over a year preferably, as they have developed a lot of their personality so you know what they will be like. Find the right bird for you and I think you will be very happy. Be warned, birds are like people, they don't 'love unconditionally' like dogs, they are friends, companions, if you do wrong by them, they'll let you know. :lol:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Oookay so I should cross birds off of my list of potential companions, then?

This search is very difficult! If only my favorite animals had a longer life span, eh?

Thanks to all for the advice, everyone! Much better I am informed so that I don't get a bird and end up with both of us suffering for it :)
I did want to point this out - you state that you're an animal with a 75+ year life span. To the best of my knowledge, as a human, I have no idea of what my life span actually IS. Granted, the female lines on both the maternal and paternal sides of my family have outlived the males but that is not a guarantee since I have a father and grandfather who suffered from cardiac problems.

If and when you do get an avian companion, will you have something in place in the unfortunate event that your lifespan is not exactly the 75+ years you anticipated? I do not mean to burst your balloon, but I did want to throw that thought out to you.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Read the rules for therapy animals as that has changed in the states.

Some parrots really do enjoy traveling. One just needs to know how to train the bird and make arrangements for them. Touchy feely is not something that is natural for birds. There are some birds though that like touch more than others. All beings do need time for "their" space. Service dogs are trained and people should not touch or interfere when the dog is working unless the owner gives permission. But, the service animal needs to have downtime also. Birds do have an advantage in some cases as some talk and actually carry on a conversation. Just watch any of Holiday's videos and how they ask her for stuff.

Have you contacted any organizations about a therapy animal? Have you contacted the Delta Society which encourages the animal human bond. I have had 4 birds trained as visiting animals and they were great with people. A couple of birds even allowed people with parkinsons disease (heavy hand trembling/shaking) hold them. Mentally challenged kids loved talking to my B&G and she in turn loved just listening to them. They did need rest time as they tire. Any animal would require you learning general care taking needs but you still can have a relationship.

Different birds work for different people. Not knowing you would make it hard to see which would be the right bird. One family I know has a U2 for their autistic son who carries the bird around everywhere. And his bird can't wait until he is home from school. The parents are attentive to see that the bird gets vet care. The child is very ritualistic and great at feeding, watering and cleaning the cage. In turn his bird loves spending time at the computer. Another friend is elderly and had a Goffin with heart disease. Her goffin loved spending time with her while she played video games. They adored each other.

Birds work more than some know. They are great at reading body language. Mine certainly knew that mentally challenged kids were different and were excellent with them rather than fearful as the children are so honest!

That is just my experience. Wish you the best in your research. :hug8:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I notice that you mentioned you like chickens. I wasn't going to mention them because you said your main interest was in the length of lifespan. We have Serama chickens who are the smallest of the chicken breeds and they are incredibly sweet and docile and make great pets. One of our hens, Tildie, is absolutely and completely attached to my SO at the hip and would follow him to the ends of the earth. Their lifespan is only supposed to be nine or ten years, but I wouldn't trade our Tildie for anything. You might want to consider looking into that. The best thing about chickens is you can order an egg right online and raise the baby from egg on out. They're very easy to hatch and care for and as loving as you could ever imagine and as cuddly as all get out!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I notice that you mentioned you like chickens. I wasn't going to mention them because you said your main interest was in the length of lifespan. We have Serama chickens who are the smallest of the chicken breeds and they are incredibly sweet and docile and make great pets. One of our hens, Tildie, is absolutely and completely attached to my SO at the hip and would follow him to the ends of the earth. Their lifespan is only supposed to be nine or ten years, but I wouldn't trade our Tildie for anything. You might want to consider looking into that. The best thing about chickens is you can order an egg right online and raise the baby from egg on out. They're very easy to hatch and care for and as loving as you could ever imagine and as cuddly as all get out!

Definitely need to see Tilde in her cage on the swing!!!! :heart:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

Definitely need to see Tilde in her cage on the swing!!!! :heart:
I aim to please! We don't cage her though, she has full run of the house...we're working on potty training the little strong minded tornado in a feathered body. She was checking out Amarillo's cage while Amarillo was out and about. I swear to god, she found her own way up to the swing and sat there for quite a while. I finally decided to get up and get the camera when I took these pictures. She really is the light of our life and has such a personality.

I threw in one of her in her diaper and another one of her in Reggie D2's cage...she likes to sneak in the parrot cages any chance she can get. We even took her with us when we went on vacation this year in Northern Wisconsin. She laid an egg on the way home in the car! She has Avian Stainless toys all her own because she loves shiny objects. She's just a little spoiled.

DSC06271.JPG DSC06608.JPG DSC06690.JPG

Perocore

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Arik
I do love chickens (we have a flock of 17 right now), and people definitely underestimate their emotional depth, haha. We have one hen who we raised away from the others since she was a rescue, and until she joined the other flock, we couldn't go anywhere without her at our side or on our shoulder! So I will most certainly have two hens or so some day (I love their company and their eggs, hehe), but not sure if I'd get a chicken registered as an ESA. A peafowl might make more sense, as they live 40+ years and form strong bonds with their person, but I'm also not sure how feasible bringing a bird that size into public with me would be XD I mean they learn to follow just fine, but I can not stop laughing of the mental picture! Just going through the store with a peacock trailing after me, hehe.

While I'm not really entirely giving up on parrots (as I do believe/know there are rare individuals out there who would make great ESA's), until I am lucky enough to find such a bird, I'll likely look towards creatures such as rabbits and ferrets. I will visit aviaries/breeders and shelters, though, in the hopes that I may find a bird who is the right level of demanding and curious for me.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think someone here has a macaw as a service animal. Macaws, conures, and some cockatoos are probably the best suited for what you are looking for, in terms of traveling well and being friendly to new people - if well socialized of course. Perhaps you could find a rescue cockatoo that has been raised to be overdependent on constant attention (not that rare - since baby cockatoos are easily spoiled). Cockatoos that have become so dependent on attention that they scream, pluck, or mutilate themselves are hard to place; so adopting a bird like that might work out well for both of you. But you would really have to go and meet and interact with some and be aware that cockatoos are a LOT of work and very loud.
Cockatoos are my emotional support animals :heart: But making them into a Velcro bird isn't very good for them. Over dependency isn't a good happy cockatoo.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
But making them into a Velcro bird isn't very good for them. Over dependency isn't a good happy cockatoo.
I couldn't agree more, I think making any parrot over dependant on people is probably the worst thing we can do to them in captivity and creates so many behavioural and psychological issues.

Perocore

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Arik
Of course "velcro" birds aren't good, and I know cockatoos should be taught/shown that they can be entertained by things besides their person, and do need a certain measure of independence as far as entertaining themselves go. I wonder if cockatoos/other animals would be capable of gaining comfort from, say, a stuffed animal while their person is gone? Anyone have any thoughts/knowledge on this? We play the radio for the birds when we leave, and it seems to keep them fairly content to sing along with it until we return.

Also, someone mentioned macaws being suitable. I thought that macaws had issues with being aggressive towards strangers and possessive of their person? I know macaws and I are not a good match (they make me pretty nervous), but I thought I'd ask to cure my curiosity on that bit.

(I know I have issues explaining things, so I'm sorry if most of my posts are really unclear/easily misinterpreted.)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I do love chickens (we have a flock of 17 right now), and people definitely underestimate their emotional depth, haha. We have one hen who we raised away from the others since she was a rescue, and until she joined the other flock, we couldn't go anywhere without her at our side or on our shoulder! So I will most certainly have two hens or so some day (I love their company and their eggs, hehe), but not sure if I'd get a chicken registered as an ESA. A peafowl might make more sense, as they live 40+ years and form strong bonds with their person, but I'm also not sure how feasible bringing a bird that size into public with me would be XD I mean they learn to follow just fine, but I can not stop laughing of the mental picture! Just going through the store with a peacock trailing after me, hehe.

While I'm not really entirely giving up on parrots (as I do believe/know there are rare individuals out there who would make great ESA's), until I am lucky enough to find such a bird, I'll likely look towards creatures such as rabbits and ferrets. I will visit aviaries/breeders and shelters, though, in the hopes that I may find a bird who is the right level of demanding and curious for me.
That's why we like the Seramas...most of ours don't way more than a pound and they are about the size of our medium sized parrots, the greys, Eclectus, Amazons, etc. They don't tend to live as long though.

As for company for a parrot, I think the best choice would most likely be another parrot. Some parrots do fine as only birds, but they are flock animals. It's a hard balance. You don't want them to be too dependent on you but you don't want them to not want to want to be with you at all either.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Of course "velcro" birds aren't good, and I know cockatoos should be taught/shown that they can be entertained by things besides their person, and do need a certain measure of independence as far as entertaining themselves go. I wonder if cockatoos/other animals would be capable of gaining comfort from, say, a stuffed animal while their person is gone? Anyone have any thoughts/knowledge on this? We play the radio for the birds when we leave, and it seems to keep them fairly content to sing along with it until we return.

Also, someone mentioned macaws being suitable. I thought that macaws had issues with being aggressive towards strangers and possessive of their person? I know macaws and I are not a good match (they make me pretty nervous), but I thought I'd ask to cure my curiosity on that bit.

(I know I have issues explaining things, so I'm sorry if most of my posts are really unclear/easily misinterpreted.)

My M2 is much more likely to be overtly aggressive and defend his turf than 2 of my macaws. I keep thinking about a bird as an ESA. My birds like to go out and do stuff, but, much like small children, they hit the wall after a bit and need down time. The M2 lasts the longest out and about, but (again) we have to watch him at certain times of the year. Parrots change as they mature. If you got one young and worked with it, there is still no telling how it will change when hormones kick in. There are people on this site that have done everything right, and still get that whammy with hormones. I think you'd have to get a bird that is mature and has a pretty robust history behind it, and even then, you just don't know how it will react once it settles in and becomes attached to someone in your home. That someone might not even be you!

Dogs tend to love their owners no matter what. Parrots just aren't the same.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
OMG :heart: That chicken is too cute! I have wanted chickens for decades, but they aren't allow in my HOA. :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I don't think cockatoos will think that a stuffed animal is a substitute for any amount of time away from a human. :hehe: It may be destroyed or ingested, instead. So used as a toy, a dangerous toy.

My birds have the TV, radio and their toys in their cages, as well as each other, for company while they are caged and I am at work.