• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DEADLY TOY

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I saw this on the Feathered Friends Facebook group. It's so upsetting that there are toy manufacturers that don't give a damn and companies importing these toys that don't check they're safe :(

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
They also shared this today

Screenshot_2014-10-21-07-31-46.png

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Thanks for the warning. It is sad that manufacturers don't take pet's health seriously. Look at the dog poisoning from food from China. You really have to watch everything these days.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Thank you for the warning.

One of many examples of why I outright refuse to buy basically any pet product manufactured in China and advise people to at least do their own research, if not do the same. (I say "basically" because I have no way of knowing the origins of some of the unpainted, untreated, toy parts I get from known safe online vendors. The plastic beads and things may well be made in China for all I know.)

Manufacturers there hardly care what effect their products have on humans (...only the effect the effects have on sales.) As if they'd care what happens to our animals versus saving a couple pennies per item by using unsafe methods.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
At the risk of this being political, China is a country that to this day still comes across as not caring very much about its people so any other living creature would be even further down the "totem pole" of value.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd blame the companies outsourcing their production to China (i.e. cheap labour) for their poor quality control before I'd blame China as a country :(

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I'd blame the companies outsourcing their production to China (i.e. cheap labour) for their poor quality control before I'd blame China as a country :(
I don't want t get political either, but I feel both are at fault... and more that I won't even touch online like how hard it is to have a factory in the US for a huge variety of reasons. And the Western consumers that don't pay attention to where their products come from and everything (labor included) that goes into making them, incentivizing stores to continue buying these things.
It's kinda a complicated web of failure at all levels that I don't see changing any time soon. :(

I do not, however, at all blame the Chinese people stuck working in these factories. Wherever the fault lies, it isn't with people just trying to make a living in some of the worst working conditions on earth.
Make no mistake, us and our animals are not the only ones to suffer for the sake of cutting pennies. I mean, the suicide nets on one prominent factory aren't there to protect our dogs, cats, and parrots...

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Oh no... I know that I have one of these in my house. Now I am having heart failure at work cause I can't go home and get rid of it. :arghh:

Okay, breathe Nik... breathe....

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have one of those, too.
Thanks so much for the warning.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Just awful :( That's why I buy toys from bird toy vendors on here ONLY.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Where do their toy pieces and parts come from?
It depends on the vendor and the toy. There are quite a few threads on AA where vendors have talked about where they get their balsa. :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It isn't just the balsa though, it's the paint that is the problem. That's why it is important to know how the wood has been "coloured". Food colouring is safe - others??????

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
It isn't just the balsa though, it's the paint that is the problem. That's why it is important to know how the wood has been "coloured". Food colouring is safe - others??????
I'm pretty sure some balsa is covered in a glue type coating too? I'll try and find the thread.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know most wood is safely harvested in the US or Canada but I remember reading a thread on AA a while back from a toy maker that said most plastics come from China.

Anyone know where the shreddables come from?