• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cage cleaners

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
From your experience what is the best cage cleaner? How does one use a steamer to clean a cage in an apartment? Thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I love AviClean for cleaning and F10 for disinfecting. Vinegar and water ate also favorites.

I also love steam cleaning. I just use the wand and blast the sucker!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I love F10 for disinfecting, and I use vinegar and water for cleaning. I haven't streamed cleaned.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I steam clean a cage I put several layers of newspaper underneath.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The steam method sounds like it should be done outside which I cannot do. Thanks for your suggestions.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've never taken my cages outside to steam them and I don't put any paper or towels down before i do it either.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I only have carpet. Would steam cleaning get the carpet wet/soiled?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have carpeting and that's why I put the newspapers down. You can also put plastic sheeting under the cages which is actually probably better than using the newspapers. I also use this brush: SP100509205 Super Pet Wire Bar & Grate Brush - CLEANING SUPPLIES and I have a roll of paper towels nearby for wiping down the cage.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I only have carpet. Would steam cleaning get the carpet wet/soiled?
I would put an old sheet down to catch anything that gets blown off. Steam cleaning gets in the little spaces that regular cleaning just doesn't reach so they're will be debris loosened. Usually there's not too much wetness blown around, but there is some.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That is what I was thinking. Something like a show curtain liner.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I STEAM CLEAN I PULL THE CAGE OUT FROM THE WALL AND I DO PUT PAPER UNDER IT IF YOU HAVE CARPET ID USE PAPER I ALSO USE A VACUME BEFOR STEAMING , YOU USE A NICE CLOTH TO WIPE AS YOU STEAM LOL I ALSO ISE AN OLD TOOTH BRUSH IN BETWEN BARS IF DIRTY

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have always cleaned mine on carpeting without anything down to catch the debris. I just vacuum after about a half hour.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like the newspapers or throw away plastic sheeting because when you are finished you just roll it all up with the debris inside and throw it away.

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
My 90 year old Dad and I hoist a cage on a dolly, put it in the basement and steam/power wash it. Then dry and hoist back (we take anything that shouldn't get wet off wash that, or replace) upstairs. That is the only thing that works on all the concrete-like gook that Cricket gets in all the cracks. We clean everything else with vinegar and a teeny bit of bleach. I am going to also try the F10.

I sure wish there was a home cleaning service for bird cages.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I know people who take their big cages through a car wash. :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Pat, there is! But I think it requires being able to pay for a house keeper willing to put up with birds!

A local rescue to me has at least two people who actually take care of the birds, from cleaning to feeding, moving birds in and out, to their playgyms from their cages, etc. I found it rather odd, but it is ran out of a rather nice home, with an amazing setup for the birds! She has one room that she calls 'the aviary', but it's just an amazing bird room, really! It has automatic shutters that open up and close with the sun, an air filtration system, entire room is tiled, there's a sink in there as well as a freezer/fridge (under the counter type!), a dishwasher and storage!

I haven't been over in a while (thanks to my job...) but I understand they are now building an outside aviary! I'm not sure what the outside aviary is going to be like, since this rescue clips their birds, and they deal mostly with large parrots (cockatoos, macaws, the occasional amazon or african grey) and very few medium birds (conures, caiques...).... so I imagine it may be an outside setup with more gyms for the birds to sit on and enjoy during the nice weather.

I do mostly soap and water... occasionally vinegar, especially for the floor! Or the hard to remove poopies from the perches and cage bars! I don't use bleach very often. Did use a car washer once! But that was when I moved from my old place and the car wash was on the way! The cages weren't terribly dirty, but it was nice to use the car wash anyway!

And I'm now considering a pressure washer.... lol The hose works fine, too!

I do occasionally use a steam cleaner as well! I suspect that if I lived in an apartment, I'd be using it a lot more! Although I would think I'd probably put something hard beneath the cage to protect the carpet.... such as plywood with melamine or maybe a plexiglass sheet to make clean-up easier.

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I clean the cages more than I wash my car---- :eek:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
i steam clean Rocky's cage. i lay down several layers of newspaper on the kitchen floor. and do it in there. i've done it in the livingroom too but i have cover him up becuz he is afraid of the noise my steam cleaner makes.
:tiel2: and mom