• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering a GC Conure (but: Noise?)

TurangaLeela

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone! I'm considering getting a green cheek conure, and I was hoping you might give me some advice. Background on me: I'm a 30 year-old student (with at least 2 more years of school left), so I'm home a lot, for now. I live with my partner; we have no kids and no other pets. I have had a bird before - a pacific parrotlet (she died in an accident, and I'm scared to get another tiny bird).

Why I love GCCs: their spunky, curious, take-no-prisoners personality! A playful, friendly bird is an absolute must for me - I want a bird who will be happy to see me every day and want to hang out and play, but who will be okay and entertain himself (quietly) if I need to be out of the house for a while. Plus, that plumage!

Why I hesitate: In a word: noise. I live in an apartment, and probably always will. I know birds are okay in my building, and there's a cockatiel upstairs who no one seems to mind, but he's a lovely whistler, and I'm worried that a GCC will be less musical. What I've heard is that GCCs let out a burst of "Good morning!" and then are quiet, or they mutter and chatter to themselves. I'm worried that screaming will drive us all nuts.

Thanks everyone! I love reading about everyone's birds, and hearing all of your stories! :dance4:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I am sorry about your little parrotlet.

It depends on the bird. Most of mine are fairly quiet but I do have a few that sound off a lot. As a matter of fact, one was given to me as his noise level was a bit much and he does have about an hour a day he loves to be loud. I also have one who must warn everyone of spiders, beetles, and anything outside that is deemed dangerous.

GCC's are also known to get into dangerous situations so be as careful with them as you would an even smaller bird.

Now mind you I have an entire flock so I might be a worse case scenario :rolleyes:

Warning Calls

And just general sounds offs with some non greenies (but you can tell they keep up)

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
i think it all depends on the bird. I have heard all the warnings, but Roma is actually very quiet for the most part. He screams when i have his food bowls and he is too lazy to follow me to the kitchen to "help". Other than that, it is just chatter, chatter chatter!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My green cheek is pretty dang loud and obnoxious. I need to compile a video of all her noises lol.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Wow Chandra---thank you so much--- I thought my sun, whiny tiel, and quaker were slightly deafening till I heard your video!!!!! And they're ok with coffee mugs---just not step ladders, vacuum cleaners, any non flock car parking outside, doorbells, missionaries, politicians, and being ignored. :faint:

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
@Newbie GCC
How old is Roma?

I only ask because soooo many times I see people say how quiet their conure or other bird is (but conures seem to be especially prominent in these claims for some reason,) only to find out they are still a baby, not mature yet.
Then, once they are an adult, everything changes and the bird is much louder.

That isn't always the case, and I know very little about green cheek volume myself, it's just something I see a lot of and don't want people to be unintentionally misled into thinking their bird will be quieter than may likely be reality in a couple of years once it's mature.

And some adult birds are quiet too. But it can be an individual thing rather than a species-wide trait.
I consider my lovebird "quiet" (very loud for her size when she's screechy but only really screechy once a day for 15 minutes unless I have a migraine) and she's mature. Many people have lovebirds that they say are noisy but Peanut may be an exception to the norm.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Just to let you know you are not being ignored but it is difficult to answer your question when you have a Large macaw, Ekkie and have had other large birds. Noise is not relevant!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My small conures are pretty loud, with my smallest girl, Ophelia (painted conure) being the loudest. Josie's not as loud volume-wise, but she's pretty persistent and can get annoying. BB was the perfect, quiet little guy... until he grew up. :banghead: I'm pretty sure my conure gang would get me evicted from an apartment :roflmao:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It really does depend on the individual birds. Neither of my maroon-bellied conures (similar to green cheeks) were noisy. They would whistle or quietly chat/talk.

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Like others have said, it depends on the bird. I have three GCs. My Peatree isn't very loud most of the time. She whistles a lot, which isn't too loud. She will do the alarm call if she is afraid, or wants me desperately.

Honey and Precious, are louder then Peatree. They screech when they want to be uncovered in the morning, if they don't want to be in their cage, and when they want attention. Although the screech doesn't bother me that much. Only in the morning when I want to be sleeping. :hehe:

So, all in all, I wouldn't call mine overwhelming loud. They have their moments, but it is only as loud at the alarm call Chandra posted.

Green Cheeks are the best, and totally worth a bit of noise. :heart:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
@Newbie GCC
How old is Roma?

I only ask because soooo many times I see people say how quiet their conure or other bird is (but conures seem to be especially prominent in these claims for some reason,) only to find out they are still a baby, not mature yet.
Then, once they are an adult, everything changes and the bird is much louder.

That isn't always the case, and I know very little about green cheek volume myself, it's just something I see a lot of and don't want people to be unintentionally misled into thinking their bird will be quieter than may likely be reality in a couple of years once it's mature.

And some adult birds are quiet too. But it can be an individual thing rather than a species-wide trait.
I consider my lovebird "quiet" (very loud for her size when she's screechy but only really screechy once a day for 15 minutes unless I have a migraine) and she's mature. Many people have lovebirds that they say are noisy but Peanut may be an exception to the norm.

We think he is about 2 years old. When I got him, they said he was "about a year and a half" and I have had him since April. Wasn't very tame at all, all seed diet, clipped wings, dull color. Now he is my flying shadow and beautiful! :xflove: Still have a few things we are working on, but 300% different than what we brought home! :heart:

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
My two are quiet for the most part, but....

BH: if he starts his VERY LOUD alarm call it
can go on for hours, no amount of treats, cuddles or attention will make him stop. Mind you, this happens only once in a while, it's headache inducing.

Manu: is the quietest bird I have ever had/ met but he has an attention alarm clock that goes off without fail between 130-200 and you had better start saying " I see you manu, peek a boo!" over and over or his screeching and chatter will not stop.

If by chance he is left home during this time, we will have an angry note from neighbors on our door.

TurangaLeela

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all for the wonderful replies! @webchirp - thanks for the videos! 99% of the time when I youtube GCCs, they're just playing quietly. We only share one wall with the neighbors, but still, that scream something to consider. I'm going to keep reading and researching, and visiting conures in pet shops - I do love their moxie and beautiful feathers! Thanks everyone! :geek:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Well eight of them might be a tad louder than just one. ;)

QBird

Jogging around the block
wonderful videos Chandra.
I've never had a green cheek only a maroon bellied and a blue throated.
The Maroon Bellied was persistent and had a high intensity noise of all the birds I have had to look after or owned.
Perhaps it does depend on the bird as the Blue throated was an absolute star only turned up the volume when he had a very good reason to otherwise he chirped and 'honked'.
I've had quiet greys and macaws and the Pis have been gems when it comes to sedate levels of noise.

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
We have a Macaw, a Too, and GCC. The conure makes the most ammout noise, but at the lowest volume. The problem is he gets the the other 2 going when he starts. Noise multiplication!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
As Skipper mentioned, they do get each other going but most of my videos are not noisy. There are more sweet moments than screeching ones...this is the birdie who likes to yell for about an hour a day. I figure he is just a chatty guy.