• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

And off we go!

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Soentjie and Jack_Jack went to roost early last night. That's odd, I thought to myself, they're usually last. So I checked the nest this morning:
Soentjie egg_Oct13.jpg

@Saroj

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
2 days later, egg no 2. And the pair spending ever more time in the nestbox. I'm supplying lots of calcium vitamins and protein in the soft food that everybirdie wolfs down in the mornings. Two days to go before I can candle egg no 1 and see if its fertile.

I'm so excited!

The 24 strong gang of lovebirds looking at all this and wondering what all the fuss is about. They've been breeding like, well, lovebirds for the last 2 years !

lol

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Congratulations and good luck to the hopeful new parents :)

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Mine & son #1 wishlist birdie!! I'll be sharing this thread with him:xflove:

Hoping all goes well - CONGRATS!!!!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Mine & son #1 wishlist birdie!! I'll be sharing this thread with him:xflove:

Hoping all goes well - CONGRATS!!!!
Thanks!. Im expecting the usual hit and miss efforts till they get it right. Still its a very exciting process!

Now I have to go shop for an incubator, and a candling device and my new christening outfit etc etc

JP

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Congrats! Can't wait to hear how it goes. How old are Soentjie and Jack-Jack?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie

Abigail

Avenue Veteran
Congratulations, best of luck. :)

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Checked the pair several times last night. Nowhere to be seen. Soentjie and Partner sitting tight in the nestbox. They waited for the second egg to begin full-on incubating.

So far they are following the textbook to the letter.

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Of course as soon as I wrote about textbooks, Soentjie decided to take a break. Egg 3 has not shown up yet. She's very calm and relaxed round the nestbox, and her partner Jack Jack, still comes over to surf on my shoulders ( But DONT LOOK AT ME, I'm shy!).

Thought she was being a bit lax yesterday about brooding, but turns out she leaves for a couple of minutes to see if I am carrying goodies lol.

New flights start arriving next week. Darent move her, shes not THAT flexible in her approach lol

JP

@saroj12

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Is it Tuesday already and no sign of egg #3?. But Of course Mama is sitting so tight I couldn't get a look in to the nest last night. ( Note to self, add a nestbox camera next time).

So I bought a candling torch today, if either of them are fertile I should see the signs soon. She's been sitting tight for about 5 days now.

The trick will be in getting a few minutes when Mama is out so that I can get into that nest-box without being seen. ( Papa comes out regularly to surf on my shirt, the big softie, so hes easy.

But Mama is different, and all mad gang eyes are on the nestbox, not just mine lol. When I get near it all the hens give me the evil eye.

So I need darkness and Mama's absence, ideally. Tricky, Tricky. then I may have to pick up the eggs to get a good look at them for candling purposes.

In the dark......!!!

I think it would be easier to steal the crown jewels

Or I could just wait the 25 days. A REAL test of my maturity

LOL

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Irishj9 Which will also require the patience of Job .... :hangin: :chillout: :imok: :imok:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Thanks!. Im expecting the usual hit and miss efforts till they get it right. Still its a very exciting process!

JP
OK, so although I'm no candling expert, I had a quick look last night, and both eggs have that yellow round suffusion, without any red dot or bloodlines forming that I can see. May be a little early, but Im reading them as infertile.

All part of the process as the experts say, the first few clutches are often infertile.

The new flights start arriving this week, and now I am less concerned about moving mama and papa to a bigger longer taller flight, where they will have more privacy for attempt number two, probably before Xmas.

I will leave the eggs another few days and candle them again on Sunday.

If they read infertile again, I will make a decision whether to remove them or not.

JP

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
You might want to count your fingers when you do that, removing them, that is. :wacky: ;)
LOL @ Sandra. If/when I take the eggs, it will be during the confusion of relocating Mama and Papa to a newly installed flight this weekend.

New flight, new perches, new drinking and feeding bowls. Same nestbox but high and dark.

'OOPS, no eggs. Must lay some more'......hehe

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Yeah, just be careful of what you wish for ... it might not only come true but you might end up being nicknamed the "Egg Daddy". ;)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
New flights sounds exciting. Do tell the details please :)

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Yeah, just be careful of what you wish for ... it might not only come true but you might end up being nicknamed the "Egg Daddy". ;)
LOL I've been called a LOT worse!