• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New male baby ekkie is coming soon

Yennylukas

Strolling the yard
Hi all,

My name is Yenny. Soon i'll be a mom for a boy ekkie!! This will be my first ekkie!!! I am overly excited. He is currently 4 weeks and will be handraised up until january next year by my breeder. I was told that i can pick him up early jan next year.

I have been reading a lot about ekkie and i know at first it will be a huge challenge but i know i can go through this.

For you guys that have lots of experience with ekkies, any advice that you can share? What other preparation i need?

I am thinking to get a big cage and create my own play gym and when everything is settled, we are going to turn our granny flat into bird room.

What do you think of this cage?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413613663.082762.jpg

Or this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413613682.777031.jpg

Appreciate your comments guys!!!

Yenny

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
The most important advice I can give is to be very patient with him and don't overwhelm him when he comes home. It can take eclectus some time to become comfortable with a new cage and home. Even though they may not be biting you and displaying, he may still be scared so keep that in mind. Watch his body language! Do a lot of research on their diet too! Also, have good perches for them such as rope perches, cajeput, grapewood, and willow. Don't forget the boing! Starting out with 1/4 pine is good too because it won't be too difficult for him. Balsa, cork, basswood, pine cones, yucca are just a few favorites here!

Yennylukas

Strolling the yard
The most important advice I can give is to be very patient with him and don't overwhelm him when he comes home. It can take eclectus some time to become comfortable with a new cage and home. Even though they may not be biting you and displaying, he may still be scared so keep that in mind. Watch his body language! Do a lot of research on their diet too! Also, have good perches for them such as rope perches, cajeput, grapewood, and willow. Don't forget the boing! Starting out with 1/4 pine is good too because it won't be too difficult for him. Balsa, cork, basswood, pine cones, yucca are just a few favorites here!
Will do yoshi!

I am currently reading these books.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413789148.636756.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413789181.754420.jpg

So fingers crossed!!!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
My experience as far as cages is wider is better than taller. :)
I agree with Alyssa to do lots of research on their diet. They have longer digestive tracts than other parrots so they absorb more of what they eat so they can get overloaded with even good nutrients/vitamins so care must be taken as far as how much protein and carbs they are fed to avoid possible food allergies. Some foods are triggers such as corn for some ekkies. I don't promote pellets for ekkies but if you do plan on feeding pellets make sure it does not have Spirulina (high protein) and be aware that even though the particular brand may be 'made for eclectus parrots' it may still effect your particular ekkie so be aware of the symptoms of food allergies.

Ekkies love to be where the action is in the house so if possible having the cage situated where they can join in on the family fun will help keep your little guy happy and content.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Rosco has the corner cage by King's and adores it! Although if it isn't in a corner it's a bit odd looking. If you can't go with something like that, then probably a single or double macaw cage would be ideal for your new man.

Living with an eclectus is... different. Their manner is different from other parrots, they sit back and watch before deciding to get involved. They definitely like to be the ones to make the first move. Even once they settle in I've found them to be goofy but still in a more reserved way than other birds. That's not to say that he's a perch potato! He'll be running around the top of his cage flapping and yelling one minute and running around on the floor the next. He loves to chew pine, although I know some eclectus are more into softer woods. Rosco loves to sit with me, although lately I've had to deter some mating behaviors as he's reaching sexual maturity.

Yennylukas

Strolling the yard
Rosco has the corner cage by King's and adores it! Although if it isn't in a corner it's a bit odd looking. If you can't go with something like that, then probably a single or double macaw cage would be ideal for your new man.

Living with an eclectus is... different. Their manner is different from other parrots, they sit back and watch before deciding to get involved. They definitely like to be the ones to make the first move. Even once they settle in I've found them to be goofy but still in a more reserved way than other birds. That's not to say that he's a perch potato! He'll be running around the top of his cage flapping and yelling one minute and running around on the floor the next. He loves to chew pine, although I know some eclectus are more into softer woods. Rosco loves to sit with me, although lately I've had to deter some mating behaviors as he's reaching sexual maturity.
Hi Milo,

I think you are 100 percent right... Corner cage will look odd in other places.
I have decided to get a square cage!! Same size like the cages above.

For softer food for ekkies, is it okay to prepare it the night before, and then put them in the fridge for the next morning? Or do you always make them fresh?

Yennylukas

Strolling the yard
My experience as far as cages is wider is better than taller. :)
I agree with Alyssa to do lots of research on their diet. They have longer digestive tracts than other parrots so they absorb more of what they eat so they can get overloaded with even good nutrients/vitamins so care must be taken as far as how much protein and carbs they are fed to avoid possible food allergies. Some foods are triggers such as corn for some ekkies. I don't promote pellets for ekkies but if you do plan on feeding pellets make sure it does not have Spirulina (high protein) and be aware that even though the particular brand may be 'made for eclectus parrots' it may still effect your particular ekkie so be aware of the symptoms of food allergies.

Ekkies love to be where the action is in the house so if possible having the cage situated where they can join in on the family fun will help keep your little guy happy and content.
Hi Birdmarie

Thanks for the comment.

Actually, just last night, i was browsing bird cages on the net and it suddenly occur to me that, although i have taller cage, they're unlikely scrolling around at the bottom of the cage instead they will pick the highest point possible. So yes i think wider is better...

Im still searching the perfect cage. I saw a stainless steel cage which cost 1000AUD for the size of the cages i showed above. Is it necessary for the cage to be stainless steel? I know it's better as some birds may get metal poisoning. But is normal cage okay too (the black thick metal)? What kind of cage do you have?

Yes, i have been doing lots of research by reading books about eclectus parrot. Based on my research, overdoses of vitamins can be bad for them. Pellets are tend to have high vitamins. So solely feeding ekkie with pellets will caUse vitamin overdose.

I will keep on reappearing on this forum for millions of questions!! So watch out hehehe...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations. Looking forward to photos and updates.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
The cage doesn't have to be SS. Good powder coated cages are fine.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
The one thing that I will caution you on is do not bring him home too soon. I brought my first Ekkie home at 16 weeks and even though he was eating on his own, he regressed and refused to eat after being home a few days. We got him back to eating again but we went back and forth with this for several months and didn't get him fully eating until he was 6 months old. It was a terrible situation for both me and Cooper and wasn't worth bringing him home early. They say that a bird is fully weaned when he is eating totally on his own for two weeks and can sustain his weight with no more than a ten percent total loss in body weight. For an Ekkie, I would give that baby no less than four weeks. I would be a little leery that your breeder is already saying that you will be able to bring your baby home in January. A good breeder that really practices abundance weaning would tell you that there is no way to tell for sure when your baby will be ready to come home because weaning is always done at the baby's pace and there is no hard and strong time that he will be ready to come home. As hard as it is to want to bring him home, let him stay with the breeder and be sure he's weaned and weaned well! That's the best advice I could give you for a little green man.

Yennylukas

Strolling the yard
The one thing that I will caution you on is do not bring him home too soon. I brought my first Ekkie home at 16 weeks and even though he was eating on his own, he regressed and refused to eat after being home a few days. We got him back to eating again but we went back and forth with this for several months and didn't get him fully eating until he was 6 months old. It was a terrible situation for both me and Cooper and wasn't worth bringing him home early. They say that a bird is fully weaned when he is eating totally on his own for two weeks and can sustain his weight with no more than a ten percent total loss in body weight. For an Ekkie, I would give that baby no less than four weeks. I would be a little leery that your breeder is already saying that you will be able to bring your baby home in January. A good breeder that really practices abundance weaning would tell you that there is no way to tell for sure when your baby will be ready to come home because weaning is always done at the baby's pace and there is no hard and strong time that he will be ready to come home. As hard as it is to want to bring him home, let him stay with the breeder and be sure he's weaned and weaned well! That's the best advice I could give you for a little green man.
Hi there jmfleshie,

Thanks for the advice.

That would be the last thing i want. I don't want to risk his health just to take him home early. I will come by in december for visit.

The breeder did say that it is possible that he may not be ready. I think my breeder is pretty responsible on that department.

I would rather wait than sorry!! I can wait. The good thing will come for people who wait. :)

But really appreciate your input on this. I don't want any rush decision that i would regret.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Lenny is adorable and those big feetsies. :heart: