• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lady Flame Update

RedFeather

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Leah
Its been almost 2 years since we adopted Flame and things have changed enough that I think it's time for an update. Flame was 20 years old when she came to us through a local group, and she had spent her entire life with an older couple in a trailer. Her owners were an active part of the group and when their health deteriorated, new homes were found for their birds. Flame had very limited socialization and little change in her life to that point, so we expected the transition to be difficult and it was, to a degree.

I'm her primary caregiver and expected to be the one to make the inroads on a relationship with her as I did with our previous rescue, Kado, but she fell fluff over toes for my hubby instead, and I became an annoyance/possible hazard person. I asked for help from you all to strengthen our connection and got some really good advice. I was hoping to just get to the point that she would stop threatening me or moving as far away as possible, but I've gotten so much more! It's taken a year and a half of talking/singing to her, only interacting on her terms when she's interested, and limited interaction with my husband, but she now solicits head scritches and stroking, offers her foot to be picked up, and has recently started to lean in for soft cuddles. She actually closed her eyes and sagged for cheek skin stroking yesterday. :heart: :heart: :heart: I think I'm finally over the hump and it should get even better from here. She is still in love with my husband, but I'm no longer below the dog on her list, more like best friend. After 2 years of trying, this feels pretty amazing.

The eye closeup was her licking the screen. :lol: IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0070.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That is great! It may take some time with an adult bird, but never as much time as raising a baby for 6-7 years to find out what they are going to be like.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
congrats on your good news