• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aloe Detox for itchy ekki?

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Has anyone given Aloe Detox to an Eclectus that is experiencing an itchy neck? My guy has itched a patch of hair away from his neck at the feather/hair line.

If you have, did it help?

Abigail

Avenue Veteran
I have no idea, never heard of this before. I have an aloe bird shower spray thing that worked well on Digby's dry skin along with misting.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I've heard recommendations for and against it. Is the patch bare? Have you seen him scratching? You may just try bathing him more regularly to help with feathers coming in. I'm not sure what you mean by the feather/hair line... eclectus only have feathers. I'm guessing you mean the shift from the feathers on his torso to the finer feathers on his head?

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes. That's what I mean. To me his head feathers most resemble 'hair' so I thought I could better explain it that way.

I do see him itch his neck. I got some aloe spray, but he's freaked out when I point that blue bottle towards him. Trying to desensitize him to its presence. So far it's a no go.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I feel like I remember someone posting in the eclectus section cautioning the use of aloe spray on feathers. Feeding aloe detox is a different thing altogether. In any case, I would still just try to increase his bathing opportunities. How old is your boy?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Aloe juice is used to relieve constipation in people and I personally would not give it. Spraying aloe may help initially but it then becomes drying. I would take a look at diet. Their intestine is longer and they absorb so much more that some get into trouble from heavily fortified food and get too much vitamins. Dye also makes some itch, wing flip or toe tapping. Diet isn't hard but does have to be right for them.

Poor Bird Diet and Disease

And vit A deficiency is one of the most common vitamin birds are low in. Don't over do it but make sure they are getting the right amount.
Vitamin A Deficiency (Hypovitaminosis A) in Birds: Signs, Treatment, and Prevention

I shared some random articles and hope that may help some.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Today's breakfast is Higgins Mayan Celestial Blend, squash slices floated on water, snap peas and bok choy.

Care to guess what Holli went for first....yep, bok choy which is one of her all time favorite foods.

Bok choy nutrition facts and health benefits

Poms still 2 for $4. here so will wait a bit longer. Pumpkin will be bought and cooked some and she will go at that.