• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Red rash on Severe Macaws face

JoetteGiul

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joette Giuliano
Hello my name is Joette and Lucille is my Severe Macaw. Lucille is 7 and she has been with me since weaned. This past May she developed a rash on the skin of her face, lost feathers around her ears. I had her back and forth to the vet, using neosportin to Vetericyn and nothing worked. This went on for more than a month; the vet finally placed her on Septra and it cleared up after 2 weeks. I'm not sure if it was the Septra or time that healed her face. She had it on both sides. Lucille has again started with this skin rash on the one side of her face. I tried the Septra and that has not worked. I am reaching out to see if anyone has had a similar problem and what their diagnosis or thoughts are. I have pictures but have not figured out how to post them on my note. Thank you, Joette

JoetteGiul

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joette Giuliano
Lucille3.jpg This is Lucille with her rash in May lucille2.jpg And this is the rash now, it is very red which does not show in the image

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Wow! I've never seen anything like it. It certainly looks like hives from an allergic reaction. Do you have other birds in the house?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Poor baby, could be an allergy of anything from a dyed toy to food, I would have a second opinion. :hug8:

doobrd

Real Name
cathy
It could be a result of something on your clothes, hair, hands, face or lips that she's allergic to. A mild steroid cream would help if it's itchy. But never, ever use a steroid on a bird without your veterinarian's supervision. I would start with changing your soaps, lotions, etc. first.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Last edited:

JoetteGiul

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joette Giuliano
I thought about allergies also, but nothing has changed and its now only on one side of the face. Her cage is clean, changed daily and she is out of it more than in. I am puzzled; plan to take her back to the Vet but don't want to waste my bird's time on uncertainties. The Vet did talk about doing a biopsy and blood test. I'm not crazy about her being poked with a needle.

Thank you for your input and will keep you posted.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My macaw and a friend's both had "red face" at about the same time. Her's was diagnosed as a fungal infection and it cured after a couple of weeks of fungal medications. Mine was never diagnosed - after skin scrapings, a biopopsy and hormone treatments. Mine still has piticulae on her cheeks.

I'd try a skin scraping and a culture and sensitivity first. If that shows nothing a biopsy and a CBC and Chem panel may show what's wrong. Being poked with a needle is probably far less traumatic than the discomfort she is having now.

doobrd

Real Name
cathy
I agree Mary. BTW, you know me as spencertoo. I lost track of my log-in info. Long story..... had to care for my mom etc. But I'm back and ready to learn and share.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I agree...some sort of allergy-I have a scarlett who had it when I first brought him home, now that he gets a teaspoon of plain yogurt once a week it hasn't come back. Good luck. :unsure1:

QBird

Jogging around the block
I hope that the Severe is clearing up, to be honest although it is horrible to have a bird got through the poking scraping and tests sometimes it is the best way to find out as fast as possible what the issue is especially if it is reoccurring.

good luck finding out and solving this issue with Lucille. Out of interest do let us know what it is if the vet finds out please :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Please have her avian vet do a blood test on her. Without a blood test, you have no idea if its a bacterial or fungal infection. And a skin scrape would allow you to put her on the CORRECT medications to nip this in the butt.

Its like with us people, when we go to the doctors trying to get treatment, we dont like our doctors to place us on random stuff or diagnose things without PROOF that we have that condition. No different should it be for your severe macaw. Without proper tests done, she will not have proper treatment. Why try all this topical skin medication if she hasnt been diagnosed and the treatment isnt proven affective?

Miss @lupe dealt with this very recently with her male Umbrella cockatoo, Elvis. And she can tell you more about her experience. :)

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
No ..actually with Elvis it wasn't a skim rash ..it was a bacterial infection on his feet..hope you figure out what it is. .Depending On Where YOU Live ..there could be fungal spores in the air. .@Cara she has experienced this. .