• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi, I am a new comer

shesocalifornia

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina
Congratulations and he is stunning!!! Also very young...so read read read lots now. I just rescued a ten year old moluccan and I had large parrot experience but moluccans are a whole other playing field. Socialize lots and don't allow him to develop bad habits now. When he hits sexual maturity he could possibly be a real handful. Lots of space and things to do for this kiddo or he might end up plucking. And try to teach him to self entertain now. Your experienced so you probably already know all this. I thought I knew too but any this moluccan has taught me a lot in just two months. Love love the pics....he does look young and sweet. A little ball of pink fluff! :heart:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Congratulations and he is stunning!!! Also very young...so read read read lots now. I just rescued a ten year old moluccan and I had large parrot experience but moluccans are a whole other playing field. Socialize lots and don't allow him to develop bad habits now. When he hits sexual maturity he could possibly be a real handful. Lots of space and things to do for this kiddo or he might end up plucking. And try to teach him to self entertain now. Your experienced so you probably already know all this. I thought I knew too but any this moluccan has taught me a lot in just two months. Love love the pics....he does look young and sweet. A little ball of pink fluff! :heart:

It's pretty damn eye opening isn't it? :hug8:

shesocalifornia

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina
I would not recommend a moluccan for the feign of heart. Lol! A very challenging species for sure and very rewarding if done right. My umbrella and macaw have taught me a lot but I really don't think the moluccan was ever intended to ever be caged. Thanks to everyone here for helping me get through some rough spots. I ywas tempted several times to give up.....I just can't do that to her though!!!!!

Abang

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Abang Daya Wiguna
This is my first experience handling larger parrot...I always open for input. been reading from mytoos.com.

he is still afraid if I approach his foot, plan to take the chain off. I am waiting for him to be comfortable before I take the chain off. I am very glad to convert his food to pellet and reducing significantly the sun flower seed, give him a lot of corn, banana :dance4: and papaya. He only take his pellet for his dinner... :lol:

shesocalifornia

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina
Definitely get him off the seed diet and stay away from dyes in their food. The moluccan I rescued was eating only sunflower seeds and junk food and is a plucked mess. It can also affect their liver being on a fatty diet. Good luck.

shesocalifornia

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina
Oh and When they get comfortable in their surroundings....watch out because he will surely find his voice. Lol. Do you live in a house? :lol: Mine does not scream much but when she does it peels the paint off the walls.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Please take the chain off before he "tames". You will need help. Dont feel afraid to towel him.

Are there any bird "experts" or specialty stores near you that can help? Any breeders?

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I have an Eclectus, he usually quite, since the moluccan arrived at home he always make a sound specially when the moluccan started to dance.. :).
Moluccans often have that affect!

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I stopped by the vet's to pick up more meds for Zuni, and I hit a lull. The techs were hanging out talking birds. Every other sentence, one of them would look at me and say "Oh, but Moluccans are the worst." or "the loudest" or 'the most destructive". Finally, one of the techs that's been there forever came in and told them that Zuni is very sweet, but if I ever call in and make an appointment for Rocky, they should call in sick. Then she told the store about how they left Zuni unsupervised (but contained) once, and he destroyed an incubator and a gross of those little birdie bagels. He had a lovely day and was quite tired when we picked him up. I was sort of hoping they'd forgotten about that.

Abang

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Abang Daya Wiguna
Please take the chain off before he "tames". You will need help. Dont feel afraid to towel him.

Are there any bird "experts" or specialty stores near you that can help? Any breeders?
I still have not manage to get the chain off...I used a towel and started to freak out....What will happen if I insist it? will the bird hated me?

I am planning to detach the chain from the perch, and let him walk around inside the house after that wing clip him, and then if he is comfortable with the condition I will unchain him....any better ideas?

:hug8: :hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Thank you Abang Daya, for trying to get the chain off.

Is it possible to get help to get the chain off? You'll definitely need someone to hold the bird securely and safely so you are not harmed and neither is the bird. You must take care not to injure the bird either. Theyre very delicate. You'll have to towel the bird gently and not be rough. Or you can injure the bird and suffocate it. Make sure no one put pressure on the chest.

And then you'll need someone to cut the chain off the leg.

I'm not an expert in how its done. We dont chain birds here.

But make sure the room/house is safe after the chain is off. If possible, build a BIG tree gym with lots of branches to allow freedom of movement. Provide a water dish. And a seperate food dish.

Kevin Mc.

Walking the driveway
Don't worry, my M2 was quiet for a couple of days also, he will start talking once he gets used to his new home.

Very cute BTW

Kevin Mc.

Walking the driveway
get him the biggest cage you can afford & have room for. Kings 406 or 506 will give him lots of room

Abang

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Abang Daya Wiguna
Just wanna share the latest development on my Moluccan....

He is now completely change his diet to 80% Harrison pellet...love it, completely reject and hate the sun flower seed, is that bad thing? previously he ate a lot of corn but now he hates it...he still eat some papaya... :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Welcome any feed back....

Attachments

shesocalifornia

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina
That is great.....looks like he is still wearing the chain. :( will he not let you take it off?

shesocalifornia

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina
Oh darn it!! That sucks for both of you. were you at least able to towel him??. Or is that when he bit you?