• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Riley doesn't look right.

LemonGrass

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to hear your little one is ill. I'm glad you caught it as quickly as you did! Hope Riley feels well soon :hug8:

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Thankfully Riley is ok with taking her meds. The vet in addition to her shot of antibiotics also showed me how to properly give her the meds and since she was willing to take it from a complete stranger I doubt I will have any problem getting her to take them for me. I am sorry about Rockys cancer.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Get better quickly Riley.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
It's hard when you have to leave them. I'm glad that there is a diagnosis and I hope Riley gets better soon!

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Between Halloween and Speckles I am paranoid about ANYTHING that could go wrong with her. I watch her preen and make sure she's not turning into a plucker, I have had nightmares about her getting sick and dying like Speckles (I didn't know he was sick when I bought him and he looked fine until I came home one night and he was dead, I only had him for 9 days) when she is in the cage and streaches her wings I hold my breath in case she gets her wings caught in the cage like Halloween. I have also had nightmares of her squeezing through the cage bars. Don't worry her bar spacing is 1/2 inch like it should be. Yes I would say I am paranoid but thats ok because it's made me extra careful watching her closely making sure she's ok and eating and playing and drinking and it's most likely why I was able to notice her looking different yesterday. The vet tech didn't seem to think she looked off but the vet went with "the owner knows their animal best" view and so thats how we arrived where we are. I'm sure that she's not as bad as I'm thinking but having my last two tiels die I think the paranoia is warrented.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope Riley gets well soon.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Get better Riley! :hug8:

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Riley is home :) I decided to wait to do the heat lamp until I went to "steal" some food dishes from my grandmother as she has about 6 extra plastic ones and all of Rileys are stainless stell well what happpens when you apply heat to metal it gets hot which mean it would burn her feet so I figured plastic was the safest option. I didn't think I would be leaving Riley yesterday so I didn't leave her any food or water and I'm sure the vet gave her some but I wanted to be sure she had eatend and had water so I put a heating pad on low and covered her cage. When I got back I put the heat lamp a safe distance from the cage (18 inches according to the package) I couldn't imagine leaving her in a cage with NO toys for 2 weeks seems cruel to me. I have to leave her in the cage without letting her out other than to give her the baytril so I dug through her toy box and found 2 toys with no metal pards (no bells or exposed chains) other than the quick clip to attach it to her travel cage. Covered 3 sides as per the vets orders and turned on the light she went to the side where the lamp was which doesn't surprise me because she always goes to the side closest to me if I walk past her cage she will follow me so she can be as close to me as possible. What did surprise me was her excitement towards the lamp. She started dancing and even do the batbird stance ( leaning really far over on her perch to the point she is almost upside down and spreding out her wings) which I have never seen her do either. Right now she is playing with one of her toys both are toys she hasn't seen yet. So over all I would say she seems to be doing good.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
:dance5:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so glad she seems so happy! :)

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I gave her her medicine and she was NOT happy about it. She's been really quiet more than usual so I'm a little worried about that. When I took her out to give her the medicine she didn't bow her head for scritches which is not like her at all. Normally thats the first thing she wants sometimes it's so bad I have to hide my hands, but not today. :( Hopefully she will get back to her normal cuddly wanting to spend every second with me self. She also hasn't thrown her normal I want out of the cage fit either. I don't think I am going to relax until I know she is 100% better. Funny thing is she was acting normal when I took her to the vet but hasn't done most of her usual behaviors since I brought her home today.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh, that's upsetting. When I had to give my birds medicine one of them started not wanting to come out of his sleep cage in the morning. He hated his meds. Hopefully she is just a little tired from being away from home, and plus having to get used to so many changes. Or maybe she's just really loving the heat! I'll send good thoughts her way. When does the vet want to see her again?
:hug8:

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Maybe she could also be extremely tired cause the heat lamp has to be on 24/7 for the next two weeks. Like Isaid before I'm paranoid about anything happening to her

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
She will be ok, you're doing awesome :hug8: I'd bet she is very tired. Sleep can definitely change their behaviour.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I covered the top half of the open side with a towel hoping it will allow her some sleep.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I think to help her sleep I'm gonna buy her a happy hut or some other hideaway to allow her a dark place to sleep.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Birds can't catch a cold, so anything they get is almost always treatable in some way.

You may want to invest in a ceramic heat bulb. You can often buy them from pet stores in the reptile section, and these give off no light! I use one for my bourke parakeet, and have it placed in such a way that she can determine how much, if any, additional heat she wants. Sometimes she likes to sit right under or next to the heat source, which warms her body, other times she avoids the heat.

Happy huts aren't recommended for cockatiels, as they usually view anything dark as a nest if they use it.

Here's hoping she feels better!! :)

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
None of the pe tstores around me carry ceramic light bulbs I have checked the big chain stores as well as the small mom and pop shops. I would have to go online to order it and the cheapest I have found is $23 and the cost to get it here by next day air (which is what I would need inorder for it to benefit her in the next two weeks) ranges from $57-91 making it around $100 for the bulb at the cheapest since I havent been around to work since August 20th I don't have that kind of money to spend on a light bulb when I can spend $20 on a light bulb and a happy hut or another hideout. The vet is the one that recommended a dark place for her to sleep although he recommeneda tissue box with a hole cut out for her to get into. I was looking for something to use yesterday and the thought to use the box from the light bulb never occured to me until today. So I cut off the flaps from the top and stuck it in there though I would like a more permenant solution so tomorrow I will be paying Petco a visit.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You can sometimes find ceramic heat bulbs in hardware stores, too....

Failing that, a heating pad might be an alternative to use?

Poor Riley must not be feeling well if she has a light on her 24/7. :(

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
The only hardware store that even had heat light bulbs was home depot which is where I got the heat lamp from.

As for the light 24/7 it is what the vet said to do so its what I'm doing.