• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to Linnies and feeling anxious.

KayKhaos

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaylea
So i'll give some back story about me first.

I've never had a bird before, always wanted one. For the last 3 years been trying to prepare my self to get one and what bird id get so then finally I felt ready, I was in contact with a breeder visiting her birds and having questions answered. Went on the list for the next clutch, when they hatched and got there feathers I visited and got to meet the birds. Now time has come and was able to take one home.

I've had Loki for a week now (Early still) and he brings me so much joy and starting to willingly come visit me when I give out of cage time. My concerns now is when I'm at work and not at home of him being lonely, I'm considering on getting his other sibling because they do better in pairs.

Also now of actually having the bird at home I'm feeling concerned and anxious for him "Am I actually ready?" I want the very best for my bird. I don't know if its just the newness of having one for the first time or the news I found out of having to move to another province. :unsure1: Everyone I talk to says its going to be fine but I guess I'm looking for others input of the matter.

Everything was going so good till a curve ball thrown at me it feels.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Ok first, take a deep breath and relax. I know exactly how you feel, I was there multiple times. In fact just recently. We all get anxious and worried when taking in a new bird or any pet for that matter. But birds especially because they require such different attention and care. But you will be fine, just read this site and ask as many questions as you want. Everyone here is very friendly and helpful.

As for a second linnie my answer would be yes if you can afford another bird financially, then get his sibling. I had a single Linnie for awhile and while he seemed happy, and I'm sure he was, when I added a second Linnie he was an entire different kind of happy. There is nothing better than seeing them sit together and preen each other or sleep together at night. They are flock animals and really seem to enjoy each other's company. If you get a clutch mate they will probably remember each other and get along. But that is not guaranteed so keep that in mind when you consider another bird. Will u be able to house them in separate cages if they can't be caged together.

Linnie's are wonderful little birds, congrats on your new baby!

KayKhaos

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaylea
Thank you! yes I keep telling my self to breath and calm down have not felt like this in along time. I've been reading this site in and out, learned lots.

Joelle

Walking the driveway
I totally agree with Crys12065, I just adopted two linnies and thank goodness they have each other for company since they are very shy around humans so far. Even if you give them all the attention possible, they are flock animals and benefit immensely from having another feather companion.
Good luck with everything.

4feathersandfur

Meeting neighbors
I can relate to your anxiousness. You thought you were ready when you were thinking more clearly, so trust your instinct, you are ready! I have a habit of starting to rethink things too. And like a previous poster said, we can get so much support from the online forums. I have learned so much from people all over the world. When I got my first bird, I was worried sick I would kill him or something was wrong with him, etc. Just because I wasn't sure with birds, everyone would say they may not act sick, etc. etc. Needless to say, several years later and I have four birds! LOL. And they are all alive and well--and thank GOD (fingers crossed, knock on wood) none have been sick. One of which is a linnie. The only thing I can say is, do your best to give him a good life and then just rest easy and enjoy him! He wouldn't be better cared for by someone else, nine times out of ten. Birds can bring you so much more joy if you let them and put the worrying on the back burner. Once you figure it out with him, it is like riding a bike and it doesn't feel hard to me at all anymore. Usually the first year with a baby bird is the hardest. They go through hormones (hard on the owner too) and also they are building their confidence, getting socialized, and bonding with you. A lot goes on during that first year for them and you. But once that goes by, the connection is truly amazing.

As far as getting another linnie, from my own experience, I have found linnies to be a little insecure in comparison to other small parrots (i.e., parrotlets, budgies, lovebirds, etc.). The species I mentioned can still be confident if alone if they have a lot of attention from their owners and a lot of fun things to do in their cages. My linnie gets a lot of attention, has tons of stuff to do in her cage, has a budgie friend, has been socialized from a young age as much as possible, and I still find her to be more insecure than the others raised the same way. It could be a combination of her personality and her species. Either way, she has taken a lot longer to bond with me and about 15 months in, she is less secure than she was but still pretty insecure incomparison to my other birds. I think she'd do better with another linnie if she would accept one (she can be iffy with other birds sometimes) but I can't get another bird right now. Having two means that you should keep them caged separately next to each other for as long as possible so that you can bond with each of them, giving them each some time with just you each day, and playtime together. With parrotlets, I have had great success bonding with both of mine even though they are also great friends. But they are caged separately and have bolder personalities. I have a feeling it would be harder to bond with the shyer linnie personality if you had two unless you were diligent about it in the beginning. Overall though, I prefer having two once they are both bonded to me. It is the best of both worlds because they have a friend and both have me. I also find that birds tend to be less "needy" and have less behavioral issues if they have a friend.

I would say get the other one if you can spend time with both and cage them separately (might be necessary anyway if they are opposite sex siblings), at least in the beginning, maybe for the first 6 months. I think you'll feel some pressure come off of you because you be able to enjoy watching them play together during out times-one of the best parts of having birds. Keep us updated!

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Linnies are funny little birds and seem to be much more attuned to flock behavior than any other bird I have ever experienced. We have nine of them and only one of them really causes problems. We got her as an older egg laying hen and we had to recently separate her from the others because we were having severe fighting issues. The other eight all grew up together and are doing very well nearly three years after we got them. I honestly would not suggest that Linnies live singly. They seem to do much better in pairs, so if you can get another one I would and I wouldn't hesitate for a second not to cage them together. That's how they do best. I will warn you that threesomes don't tend to do well for whatever reason and until you get up into the bigger numbers, five, six, seven...I'd always do an even number.

Take a deep breathe, you're probably doing great, especially if you're getting your little one to come out and interact with you! They tend to be a little hand shy so if you get one who isn't, you're doing really well! As for moving, birds do fine. My flock has moved several times and it doesn't even phase them anymore. Welcome to Linnie ownership...they will wiggle their way right into your heart and never leave!:)

KayKhaos

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaylea
Thank you everyone for the information so far, it makes me happy!
I tried to get the other one but was already claimed to a new home but my avian did help me calm down and told me a few of her experiences, as for my anxiety its gone and I feel a bit more confidant! I think after the move and everyone's settled in I'll look into a second one. :)
Our routines throughout the day are wonderful and I constantly look forward to the neck snuggles I get in the evening. Is hand shy but Loki never hesitates to fly to me. Trust slowly coming along, like today Loki let me give him a mist bath for the first time the sounds made were adorable! :roflmao:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've really enjoyed this thread! I'm happy you are more comfortable with your situation :D

Have a safe move!