• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wookie

Candy Bridger

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shandy
We have recently acquired a beautiful 6 week old female Ekkie that our 4 yr old calls Chewbacca & we call Wookie. given she had fur not feathers.
She is getting her feathers so fast & loves nothing more that to waddle over to me for a cuddle & love (apart from the claws) She has 2 missing toes from wounds in the nest & the breeder said she had a male with the same problem which leads me to wonder a little.
She is seeing the vet tomorrow for a nail clip & she feeds so well I am amazed. Can't wait to cuddle her properly (she is still a lil scary with the claws).
My only issue is when my daughter tried to feed her yesterday she wouldn't take it until I came & fed her.
I didn't think she would notice as much being 7 weeks now.
She will let the kids pat her & my daughter pick her up but only runs to me @ feed times & will let me do anything to her, I am worried about clipping nails & eventually clipping her wings. As much as I don't want to I have a 8 & 4 yr old who will leave the door open.
Also she responds to my hubby verbally & he occasionally pats her, will I have problems later with hormones?
I will post pics as she has grown, I have only had cockatiels & our pineapple conure 12 weeks is so naughty & tries to eat her food & head so we limit their play together for now, always supervised tho, but Fruitcake knows she is a baby I think.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. I don't have any experience with Ekkies. But I love your bird names. @Birdiemarie may be able to answer some of your questions. I can't remember the user names of the other members with female Ekkies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Welcome Candace and congrats on your new little redhead! I don't have any experience with baby ekkies since I got the Diva when she was a year old so can't help with formula feeding questions. Can you tell us what your diet plan will be once she's weaned? I assume your breeder explained the extra care needed when feeding ekkies compared to other parrots because of their long digestive tracts and how some can be pre-disposed to developing food allergies. :)

Baby ekkies are usually friendly with everyone! :swoon: but even with equal attention they may choose one person as 'Their person' when the time comes and there really isn't anything you can do about that. If you're the one mainly feeding her now she will be most comfortable with you than with your daughter or husband when they try.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
@sodakat was one of the other ones i was thinking of.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
welcome and congrats on the new baby

Candy Bridger

Real Name
Shandy
Thanks for the awesome replies. Wookie is doing GREAT, I think she is starting her naughty stage though cause she snapped at me yesterday for the first time.
I am just being patient with her & giving her as much cuddles as possible. She will be going in her cage during the day soon & I am very excited.
As to answer your question Birdiemarie, I actually have a huge veggie garden & fruit trees (dwarf) so feeding her will be no hassles at all. I can't get enough fruit trees right now & it is driving my hubby nuts lol.
Wookie & fruit cake are forever calling to each other & now when Wookie gets warmed up we take fruit cake to her & she usually calms down.
I have decided to teach Wookie to step up on some dowel to get her out of her cage so that if the kids need to get her out there shouldn't be too many issues.
She is absorbing so much now & loves to sit on me sunggled up with lots of pats, she is very unsure when I put my glasses on but she is getting used to it.
:)

Candy Bridger

Real Name
Shandy
Wookie Is starting to mouth at people coming close to her, she will only be picked up after a pillowcase is on her, she will take kisses & rubs but my hubby is worried she will bite the kids. She is due to go into her new cage tomorrow but I am really worried about her getting territorial.