• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Help With 1st Grey

Savannah G

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Savannah G
I just bought my first Grey twelve hours in I am in love, not my first bird but its been a while. I understand they are a lot of work. I have yearned for a pet since I got into the business I am in, which is twelve hour days then two days off, Sunday and Wendesday. I can play in the morning with him and as soon as I get home for 2-3 hours. I am concerned that this will not be sufficient. Or am I obvrthinking it. And what can I do to keep him occupied during the day? Any advice will be helpful. is it possible to work those hours and have a happy grey?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Foraging toys will be a great help. Here are two links to some: FORAGING TOYS and Bird Toy Foraging Fun for Parrots | Low Prices at WINGEDVICTORYS . As for time, will anyone be home when you are not? Even if he is in his cage, if there is another person in the house it will help with this issue. If no one else is home, a television or radio can help to some extent. Preening toys can be beneficial . Here is a link: PLUCKERS/OVERPREENERS . As for that being enough time for him, I feel that that is a very individual question. There are some birds that with enough toys and activities (foraging) it could work out. Other birds do not do well when left alone for long periods of time. In addition to these types of toys, wood toys and toys made of shreddable materials are very important. They will not only occupy his time, but are very helpful with keeping his beak healthy. Here is a link to a list of members of this forum that have bird supply/ food stores as well as links to their websites: List of AA Vendors & store profiles | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum . I hope that this helps some.

Matt

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This all boils down to the routines and consistency you establish. An hour or two of your "undivided dedicated attention" at the beginning of the day and then again at the end of the day is all most people can reasonably provide. It's the quality of that time, not so much the quantity.

By providing consistent routines your bird will come to learn and know them. In time they will actually be expected. This relieves a lot of the stress and anxiety they have to cope with. This also includes the days you have off. For example following a routine all week and then spoiling them with all day attention on the weekend is going to undo a lot of the things you achieved during the week. Never give more attention than you can consistently provide from this day forward. They must learn some independence.

For all that time the bird must spend alone you need to think long term permanent because this is a 40-50 year project/journey with no quitters. IMO that means providing a real (secure) space much larger than a "cage". An indoor aviary or a bird proofed room (with the cage in it or not) will go a long ways to providing an environment that works for everyone and provides for everyone. And of course fill it with lots of stimulation.

Savannah G

Real Name
Savannah G
I do not plan on working the long hours forever maybe a few years tops, and I am considering putting a bird room together for him. We spent several hours with him last night and he seemed very relaxed and happy. His body language, from what i read, said he was happy and content. I am going to leave music on and the lights on while I am gone and while my boyfrend is home in between classes twice a week he will be able to provide some attention. I think it's going to work. He wanted to go everywhere with me last night. He sat on my head while I did my laundry and walked around the counter while I did dishes, just talking to him. We bought some toys and for him, and he fills my heart with such joy. If he can feel that, then he must know he is a part of my flock. :) :D

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Make sure you are providing a very large cage. Macaw size. Jumbo size. To make sure he has sufficient space while inside the cage 12 hours a day. With plenty of toys, foraging toys and enrichment. Tons of perches and variety.

:)

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
The absolute largest cage available, a variety of toys which are rotated. Learning to forage for food will keep him busy, as well!

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I am entering my busy season and have a lot less free time. I have made a point from the very beginning to stress independence in my birds, especially with my grey. When my grey was young I made sure to not carry her around everywhere. When I needed to get something done I put her somewhere safe with something entertaining to do and she was not allowed to come back to me until I was ready for her. Pretty soon she learned that it's ok to be away from Mom and sometimes it can be fun. She also has a huge cage and is given lots of things to forage in and play with every day. You don't even need fancy foraging toys to do that. Today she got 4 little cardboard boxes stuffed with whatever I could grab at that moment (snacks/nuts/plastic toys/toilet paper/my junk mail...). I think a schedule is great, but I tend to vary it up a lot, so that if I can't let them out at their regular times they don't get all upset.

You have to remember that your relationship will last 50+ years and you won't always have the same work/life schedule. With birds you need to think long term and give them the skills they will need to be flexible and not 100% dependent on you.

Savannah G

Real Name
Savannah G
Can anyone recomend a cage distributor or where to look for a large cage?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
King's makes an awesome corner cage (I think @Ribbit21 has the same one I do), that I use for my eclectus and he adores it. Due to some issues another member had with shipping from the King's website, I'd recommend buying from birdtoyman on ebay rather than from the King's site (unless they have their holiday sale going on... then it may be worth the chance. I was able to get the cage for 15% off with free shipping around the holidays last year).

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I bought my cage directly from Kings and had no trouble, but I know others have had some issues. Here is the link to show my current cage. You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I bought my cage directly from Kings and had no trouble, but I know others have had some issues. Here is the link to show my current cage. You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.
That's the one! I also ordered directly from King's. I had a hiccup in that they somehow forgot to ship my cage and didn't realize it until about 10 days after I paid for it. I was also told I could arrange a time/place with the shipping company and then one day they just showed up in my town! Fortunately my boss was understanding.