• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Neglected B&G Macaw

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I recently came across a neglected B&G Macaw while writing Exams. The Macaw was in a cage, tucked in under some trees behind a small building. The first thing I noticed was that the cage was filthy. Seed shells were littered on the floor of the cage. There were only 2 perches in the cage. They were covered in dirty padding and wrapped with wire. I was horrified by this. Presumably, this was done to prevent the macaw from chewing the perches. I found the macaw hanging on the side of cage. This allowed me to see that the bottom of the macaw's feet had hardly any skin on them, and looked to be very painful. One of the macaw's back toes also faced forward, rather than back. I offered him fruit, which he ate every last piece of. He only had a poor supply of sunflower seed and peanuts to eat.

Upon further investigation, I found the macaw's water bowl to be so disgustingly dirty, it was growing algae. As if this wasn't bad enough, we were going through a hot spell and had been having days of up to 35 degrees Celsius the whole week I was there. The next day, I visited the macaw and found that the cage had been sprayed by sprinklers. The water was allowed to get stagnant and stank on the bottom of the cage. This wasn't cleaned for days. On one day, the macaw had been placed in a large aviary along with ducks, chickens, finches and pheasants. He couldn't move along the perch as his feet were too sore. I had thought perhaps the owners would use this opportunity to clean the dirty cage. Apparently they didn't have that kind of logic.

I did my best to find the owner of the birds. There was also a Blue Fronted Amazon in a cage next to the macaw, which was also dirty. The Amazon was very overweight, and quite nervous. The property was shared by different businesses, and the fact that I was writing exams there made it very difficult to try and track down the owners. I have since been in contact with rescue organisations who said they will investigate. I have already offered to pay for transport for the birds, so that they can be brought down to me, and I can nurse them back to health and give them a better home. I will not stop fighting until I see these birds in a better home, even if that home is not with me.

IMG-20140915-01271.jpg
IMG-20140915-01272.jpg
IMG-20140915-01273.jpg
IMG-20140915-01274.jpg

IMG-20140916-01275.jpg
IMG-20140916-01276.jpg
IMG-20140916-01277.jpg

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Poor babies! I hope something is done to help get them some help.

Kaylea

Real Name
Kaylea
That's breaks my heart

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is absolutely horrifying!!! :eek: I hope something can be done for them. The cruelty (or is it stupidity?) that our fellow humans are capable of still manages to shock me, although it is so common that it really shouldn't by now. :(

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How sad, glad you got pics for evidence. Prayers that you can help them. Thank you for caring. :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor birdies. I hope the rescues can get them out of there quickly.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:( very, very sad..hope you can achieve your goals with them...your a kind person to care and act on it ....:hug8:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
OMG, that make me sick :mad: and so sad :crycry: :cry3: . how can people treat their/ any animal that way? poor fabies. thank you for trying to get them help i hope that you can get them.
:tiel2: and mom

sprite

Meeting neighbors
So sad. :( Some people are disgusting.
Please keep us updated on how everything works out as far as getting them out of there.
Thank you for helping them. :hug8:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Thanks everyone for the support! I'm holding thumbs for these special birds. @JosienBB , its most definitely stupidity and ignorance at its finest. How someone can spend so much money on such beautiful birds, only to let them live in such shocking conditions, is beyond me, and always will be. There is no help for some people, only help for their animals they choose to mistreat!!!

I will be sure to keep everyone updated on how it goes, hoping to hear from the rescue people soon!! :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:
:bfa: :bgm:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Holding thumbs for today! There are people going to check out my birds later. The organisation has been really busy protesting against local pet shops for animal neglect and abuse, but have been EXTREMELY helpful and supportive and I'm confident they will do everything in their power to ensure that whatever happens to these birds will be the best for them. :) :)

Hoping to post a positive update before the day is done! :bfa: :bgm:

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I would have taken them home with me in one split second. Most people don't deserve the love and affection of animals. What a disgusting person to allow that to happen. I work with homeowners facing foreclosure and I have seen numerous families leave their birds behind when they move out. Let's just say they are safe and sound now ;-)

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
How horrifying!!!! poor babies

Praying that the rescue can help them. Thank you for caring and advocating for the those precious babies :hug8: :hug8: