• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food Samples

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Has anyone had luck with getting samples from bird food manufacturers? If so, did you have to call them directly or use the internet? My lovebird is very picky and i would like to be able to try out some pellets before buying them if possible.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I got pellet samples from Roudybush but it was a couple years ago. I went to their website and emailed them asking if I could have a sample. They actually sent me two different sizes to try.

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Thanks Michelle. I will try, doesn't hurt to ask. :) All they can do is say no.

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
I did this more than five years ago so I don't know if they've changed since I contacted them (especially since their customer base is constantly growing) but I wrote emails to Roudybush, Lafeber, and Harrison's and received samples to Canada from at least Roudybush and Lafeber. I don't recall 100% if Harrison's was willing to send me a bag. I told them all my birds were already eating pellets but I wanted a better quality, and with that information Lafeber sent me a sample bag of Nutriberries and an ENTIRE tub (their regular small tubs - normally $10 or $11) of pellets and Roudybush sent me two sample bags of two sizes of pellets. It's definitely worth it to ask! Companies will do anything to expand their customer base and establish a positive reputation to consumers.

I was personally shocked enough that they were willing to ship stuff to Canada for free! The food I actually received was a massive bonus! :roflmao:

apples

Meeting neighbors
Some privately owned shops like Dry Goods for Animals and other small mom and pops dry good for pets do sell sample packs which they bag down which some people don't like but if it doesn't bother you try finding smaller retailers selling both bulk bin pellets and manufacturer sealed bags as two of mine bag down 2 to 4 ounces of each pellet they sell and they sell them all harrisons, rbush, lafeber, zupreem, pbird and more and for ten bucks I get 3 lbs total and at least I can see and try them without buying each one, they have them done up in a big gallon size zip bag which has each pellet bagged in little zip bags in the big bag. they have small, medium and large bird sizes in these sample packs. I don't buy anything from any shop selling any live animals only dry goods only shops and I do trust a couple shops to bag down bulk bags as they are careful, clean and use a human food sealing machine to seal all the bagged down bulk pellets and seed mixes and don't just do a twist tie or tie the bag. sample packs are popular with pellets in these shops as some parrots might take to a pellet and I just do a multi pellet mix and sometimes a bird will just pick one out and stick with that one. they need something to reject and I've mixed in 'reject' pellets with new to them pellets and sometimes they will try the new ones, some birds just need something to reject to make them try something

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lafeber sends out a generous sample if you email or call them.

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Thanks for the feedback. Will definitely try your suggestions.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Roudybush sent me (2) 8 ounce bags of pellets so I could try both sizes. Extremely generous! (This was about 6 months ago.
Harrison's also gives samples. I probably got 1/2 ounce.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Most you can just use the "contact us" link on their website to request a sample. I received samples of Hagen, Roudybush, Caitec, and Harrison's 3 years ago.

LunaLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Just under 2 years ago I got samples from Roudybush, Caitec, and Harrison's by going to their website and looking for the sample request/emailing them. All 3 sent a lot more food than I expected hut having a small bird also helps samples last a while!

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I got samples from Roudybush and Caitec's Oven Bites last year.

Angie8506

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angie
Oh exciting! I'm going to try this! I hatebtonspend so much on pellets to have my babies throw them out of the cage and protest! Lol although the dog "vaccums" up the unwanted pellets :lol:Apparently she likes them!!! Haha

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Angie, they responded very quickly and even gave several suggestions on how to convert your bird from seeds to pellets.

Angie8506

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angie
I recieved 2 8oz packages of pellet from rbush today! it was like christmas! i immediately put some in my babies cages!!! we will see what happens :) :dance4:

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
There is another thread about getting samples of Oven Fresh Bites from Caitec...I emailed yesterday and received a reply quickly. :)