• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe perches?

Yennylukas

Strolling the yard
Hi guys,

I was recently told by my vet that plastic and natural toys are better for my teil.

So i bought the perch and toy as per below pictures.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412028132.249380.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412028179.938699.jpg

I however noticed that maxy has been chewing and eating them. His dropping's colour was a bit dark brownish.

Is this safe?

Thanks guys

LemonGrass

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds chew on wood, it's fine if their beaks get stained :) Natural perch is best for their feet. I am concerned that his cage is a tad bit small for him. Is he able to fully expand his wings in there and move in 360 degree with wings expanded?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do you know what type of wood that it is? That would determine whether or not it is safe. I agree with your vet that he should have natural perches. As for the droppings, chewing on safe natural wood should not change his stool color. What is his diet? Has it changed recently?

Matt

Yennylukas

Strolling the yard
Birds chew on wood, it's fine if their beaks get stained :) Natural perch is best for their feet. I am concerned that his cage is a tad bit small for him. Is he able to fully expand his wings in there and move in 360 degree with wings expanded?
Hello there lemongrass,

Maxy is my new teil. I got him like a week ago. He has never been kept on a cage, it was always in some kind of box ( i know poor him). So when he first came to me, he was really scare. My plan is to put him in a smaller cage for 1-2 weeks to get him more comfortable and confident and then move him to a bigger cage which used to belong to my other teil (she died).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412063352.411629.jpg

Yennylukas

Strolling the yard
Do you know what type of wood that it is? That would determine whether or not it is safe. I agree with your vet that he should have natural perches. As for the droppings, chewing on safe natural wood should not change his stool color. What is his diet? Has it changed recently?

Matt
Hi Matt,

Im not too sure what type of wood is that, but it is natural wood.

He started eating pellet like 2 days ago. I know that teil with pellet diet will have light brown dropping. But i noticed that maxy's was a bit darker since i put up the wood perch. I noticed that he has been chewing it but im concerned that he has eaten them too.

I might remove the perch tonight and see if the colour of his dropping is still dark brown.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
This post is in the DIY section so did you make the perch yourself? Just because the perch is wood, it may not be bird safe.

I think you should put him in his permenant cage now. Putting him in different environments is stressful for the bird. The current cage is too small with all the stuff inside.

You mentioned the previous occupant of your cage died. I hope you sanitize this cage before using it for another bird.

A pellet eating bird does not necessarily mean brown droppings. They should be green, unless the food has food coloring in them. My two birds eat Zupreme Naturals and their droppings are not brown. What pellet is your bird eating? I may be wrong though, maybe different pellets come out different. I know those that are fruit blends can come out red.

Last edited:

Yennylukas

Strolling the yard
This post is in the DIY section so did you make the perch yourself? Just because the perch is wood, it may not be bird safe.

I think you should put him in his permenant cage now. Putting him in different environments is stressful for the bird. The current cage is too small with all the stuff inside.

You mentioned the previous occupant of your cage died. I hope you sanitize this cage before using it for another bird.

A pellet eating bird does not necessarily mean brown droppings. They should be green, unless the food has food coloring in them. My two birds eat Zupreme Naturals and their droppings are not brown. What pellet is your bird eating? I may be wrong though, maybe different pellets come out different. I know those that are fruit blends can come out red.
Hi Gypsy,

Thanks for your advice. Yes i have sanitised both cages. My old teil, Timmy died from bound egg problem which was very sad for us.

The pellet that im giving her is vetafarm pellet. It's brown colour pellet not the fruity colorful one.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412077840.928937.jpg

Yennylukas

Strolling the yard

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran

Triton's poops are always a light brown after he eats pellets. They are only green when he eats seeds or green veggies. I noticed that the third ingredient is millet, so maybe that's why? Triton's on Roudybush, by the way.

Last edited: