• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What mutation is this Indian Ringneck ?

IRN-Lover

Moving in
Real Name
Mehmet
Hi, first of all let me tell you that I already have an greyish Indian Ringneck which is a female, and so I'm planning to buy a second one (male) because i'm in college and i don't have much free time to play with so i think buying her a friend will probably be a good choice, and according to the Pet Shop which is near my street where i live they currently have three indian ringnecks (untame) for sale, exactly as you can see from the picture below, they told me that the blue one is a male, you can see that it has more squarer head than others, and I will buy it, but I'm not sure if it is dark blue or light blue, so please tell me what mutation excatly is, can you find any photo on Google to show me how he can be when it grows to 2-3 years because he now is only 5 months old, thank you!

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
I'm not very good with mutations and I'm on a phone so pic looks tiny so I may be wrong, but it looks like a normal Blue to me.
Have they confirmed the blue is a male through dna or surgical sexing? I don't believe headshape is a very accurate way of guessing the sex with irns.

IRN-Lover

Moving in
Real Name
Mehmet
I'm not very good with mutations and I'm on a phone so pic looks tiny so I may be wrong, but it looks like a normal Blue to me.
Have they confirmed the blue is a male through dna or surgical sexing? I don't believe headshape is a very accurate way of guessing the sex with irns.
Thank you so much for the answer, he was DNA tested :)

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
He looks like a normal blue to me.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The bird on right appears to be a mauve (double factor dark blue), so I'm going to say that the bird on left is a cobalt (single factor dark blue). (assuming they could be related)

IRN-Lover

Moving in
Real Name
Mehmet
Hi, first of all i wanna thank you for your answers, secondly I want to show you my new blue indian ringneck for which we talked about, and now the interesting fact is that blue one is supposed to be male and grey female, but after adding the blue one grey started to make some dances, heart shape and bow, which makes them like male behaviours, so can anyone tell me if the female can do the same behavior as male ?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Generally not a good idea to introduce a new bird to an existing bird right away without doing quarantine or at least keeping the birds separate.

Yes, females can act like males! Sounds like you may need to DNA sex them or wait for them to molt!

IRN-Lover

Moving in
Real Name
Mehmet
Thank you so much, I may DNA them and tell you the results!

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
You have cute birds :)