• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Free Bird

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
HA HA MANGO WAS IN HIS CAGE TODAY LOL TALK ABOUT A QUIET BIRD ,,LOL , THEY WERE COMMING TODAY TO BUT HIS NAILS AND BEAK SO I GOT OUT A LITTLE EGG SALAD , SILLY BOY SAW ME AT THE FRIDGE CAME ON MY SHOULDER TO WHAT FOOD WAS BEING OFFERED , AND STAYED THERE ON MY SHOULDER TILL I PLACED A 1/2 TS OF EGG SALAD IN HIS CAGE , HE COULDNT GET IN THERE FAST ENOUGH , IT WAS FNNY THEN HE JUST LOOKED AT ME AS I SHUT THE DOOR .
I LEFT HIM IN FOR ABOUT 2 HRS AFTER THEY LEFT NOT A PEEP OUT OF HIM AND HIS BACK WAS TO ME ALL THE TIME LOL I EBEN LEFT THE APT WITH MY SON TO WALK HIM TO HIS CAR AND MANGO DIDNT SAY BOO AND STILL HASENT LOL THINK HIS BEAK IS TENDER AND HE IS STAYING AWAY FROM ME BUT IM SURE COME THE MRNING HE WILL FORGIVE ME,,LOL
I ALWAYS HAVE SEED IN CAGE AND ONCE IN A WHILE HE WILL ENTER IT TO PLAY WITH A TOY BUT THATS AS FAR AS HE GOES , HID CAGE IS COLECTING DUST,,LOL HE DOES CLIM ON IT AND LOOK OUT THE WINDOW FROM THE TOP OF IT,,LOL BUT THATS IT FOR CAGE IM SURE FOR THE NEXT SIX WEEKS THILL THEY COME BACK FOR NAILS,,LOL

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
My husband gets home first and for the last year Sunni has "allowed" him to open her door. She has her own room and she will be out until I put her down for the night. We have dogs so there is a gate in the doorway. Sometimes when looking for my husband, she will walk over and climb to the top of the gate and chew on it. The dogs normally will alert us at that though - so I make her get down. The room is pretty much hers although she lets me keep my computer in here :) She has only tried flight maybe 3 times in 27yrs so I don't clip her wings. I give her lots to do, although a cardboard box is THE best :) I watch TV in a different room and I will bring her up to her smaller play stand to hang out.
IMG_2789.JPG IMG_0238.jpg

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Kiwi has a cage, but I leave the door open all day (unless I will be out for an extended period of time or guests unfamiliar with parrots are coming over, then he has to go up). On the average day though, it's just as likely a meteor would hit his cage than any other possible injury to happen. Kiwi is not flighted and apparently never learned to fly as a young bird. He has no concept of it/does not try to fly when scared (we adopted him like that and he had no inclination to learn when we tried to teach him). It's just 2 adults in the house and no kids, dogs or cats. He is probably the most fearless bird I've met and little phases him (loud noises, new objects, larger animals ext..) He actually gets lots of wildlife in front of his window, and enjoys taunting the deer, hawks and raccoons (and squirrels, chipmunks and little birds) from his cage top. He does stay in "his" area which is his cage, a dual-function swing/tabletop perch and a large play tree he can climb back and forth between. If he wants to get involved with what you're doing, he goes on his swing and cries until you come get him. I think whether a bird should be out supervised or freely is really a matter of the bird as an individual and the unique situation the bird lives in.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Sounds like MC. Except he has been trying to go on a walkabout lately. I have to move the playstand away from the cage. He climbs down the cage to the floor and off he goes doing the parrot shuffle on the slick floor.

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
My Senegal is fully flighted and cage-free except for sleep or if I leave the house. He is an expert flyer and knows exactly what he's doing, because it is a bird's instinct to. He has never once crashed into anything since being flighted, and it's been over a year. When he was clipped, he would attempt to fly and hit windows or land places he shouldn't. Clipped birds are frustrated, clumsy flyers and often crash into things. As far as safety goes, I believe it is my job to amend my house to his needs. I would never clip him or keep him caged for safety, but instead adapt his living environment to be safe for him...whatever that takes.

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
My sennies are terrible fliers. They kept crashing into walls, windows etc that I finally clipped them. They also startle very easily. I haven't had any problems since clipping them.

On the other hand my mac is fully flighted and flies very well.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Morgan, my DYA, has always been flighted but rarely flies. She prefers to be "driven" like Miss Daisy. And she is not impressed with the other birds, regardless of size. My birds are all flighted, save Ziva, whose feathers haven't molted out yet. They are ALWAYS supervised, the bengals are isolated behind a closed door, and I try to be hyper vigilant while they're out. Gossamer, the SB2, learned to fly going from a java tree to a ring stand in my small living room. She is still improving but flew to my arm last week.