• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seizure? Or did she just clean her clock?

McSizzle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mike
Siri is about a year old. She's a mean-a$$ Quaker baby who isn't a big fan of anyone, anything, or life in general. But I love her. She gets lured from her cage in the afternoon to spend some out-of-cage time and play gym dinner/snacks. She would rather just sit in her cage so I always have to convince her to leave the cage. Here's where it got weird yesterday:

I went to have her step-up (sometimes she will, sometimes I have to try a few times or use a treat) and sometimes she sees me coming and when the door opens she flies out. She attempted a jump escape yesterday and, being a spaz, kinda hit the door on her way out, and landed kinda hard on the floor. She didn't seem to hit anything too hard but I noticed she wasn't scampering away like she does, she just sort of stood there, one leg strangely tucked up and the same side wing kinda half open. I picked her up and she didn't nip, didn't grab with either foot and just kinda looked dazed. I put her in my lap and watched her. I was honestly afraid she was dead or dying. This is not a bird who would sit in a lap and not move. She will do her best to get away and climb up on the play gym from any location in the house, fly or walk, doesn't matter just wants to get there. This lasted about 3-5 minutes and she slowly came to. No sensitive limbs, wings, body spots, and when she came out of her daze she acted 100% normal.

Could she have just bumped her head and 'knocked herself out'? It almost looked like a seizure my dog had once. It was weird, scary, and totally random. Thoughts? (Yes, her vet will be involved if this happens again)

Thanks!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds like she hit hard and was dazed, keep an eye on her , are her pupils reacting normal? My lovebird did this the other day, he hit hard, and sat there for a while , scared me. He NEVER sits there,,,, I checked his eyes,,,normal restriction to light, he was OK after a few minutes and has been since. :hug8:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Probably more on the order of a concussion but mild. Just keep your eye on her for a few days. I wold not add any stress for the few days. So if she does not want out of her cage leave her in. Glad to hear she is acting normal (for her) now.

McSizzle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mike
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8: Thanks all. Update: she's fine. She's a Quaker so I couldn't really see her pupils, but she's excellent now. Happy, spunky and mean!

I appreciate the wise words.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Just seeing this. Glad Siri is ok. :hug8: