• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary health questions

FairyWren

Moving in
Hi all,
I had canaries growing up in a totally different environment than I have now. They are one of the birds I would love to have again eventually.

First-how can I be sure a bird I buy doesn't have mites? Is it pretty easy to tell visually? I have read some awful stories about mites. :eek:

Secondly-any thoughts on lighting? Since I live in Alaska where we have very short days where the sun only comes up low over the horizon in the winter, it can be hard for humans even with a sun lamp. I'm worried about having the right amount of light and warmth.

Third-how warm do they need the house to be? I read several things that suggested they are fine with cool temps and other sources that suggested they are quite "fragile". Our house is often in the high 60's naturally as in our environment, we don't use air conditioning, we just need the heat as winter comes along. Would this be hard on a canary?
Thank you so much for your thoughts! :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
on lighting full spectrum lighting would help
high 60s would be alright i keep mine a bit higher but my bird is extreamly plucked sudden changes in tempature are what you need to worry about
i can not help you with your mite question