• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toes getting a little pink

jakibros

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jackie
My CAG Lily is very active these days. She's been home now for 2 weeks. We noticed the pads on a couple of her stubs are getting a little pink...no breakdown yet. I'll be bringing her to the vet for her checkup anyway but was wondering if there is anything special I can do in the meantime to help protect her little nubs. I'm sure she is working her feet more than the bird nursery ever let her due to all the freedom she has now. She is also still a klutz at 5 months. IMG_0346.JPG

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad she's being active. I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions. I hope others do. She's a cutie. :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Her feet are precious! :heart: Just watch them daily, maybe flat and/ or padded perches can help , :hug8:

clarabear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Clara
I agree- having a flat perch might help her rest her feet a bit sometimes. Good luck :cag:

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Jasper's feet are permanently pink on the bottom. Not raw, just lighter colored on the parts that are in contact with the ground all the time. I use flat perches and soft rope perches to keep his feet nice and healthy. Sometimes I'll spread some coconut oil on a plate and have him run through it just to soften up his feet a bit. You also want to keep an eye on the heel/knee area because a lot of times it gets used for balance and can get raw if the perches are too rough.