• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does your bird have any strange play behaviors?

Parhelion7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kylee
Ziya does a couple things that seem really strange and I'm curious if anyone else's bird does either of them as well. Nothing bad or problematic, I'm just curious.

Sometimes she'll just play with one toy, but a lot of times she'll pick up one and then grab another and sort of... combine them. I can't figure out what on earth she's trying to do, exactly.

Here she is doing that with a piece of wood and a whole almond. She does it with just about anything, though, regardless of how complex the foot toy is - all of them can and will be combined and chewed on together.

Perhaps related to that, she also likes to wrap her foot toys up in whatever is available - usually people's clothing.

Is this something that's common? She's been doing this ever since I can remember, but I'm not sure I've ever seen another bird do it... o_O Is she just weird? What toys and play styles has your bird invented for themself?

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
Her quirk I think (; Yoshi likes to grab things and then flip over onto his back, hold them in his feet and shake his feet back and forth while trying to bite it. He's a little special! Smokie jumps towards you growling, you shake his beak and he runs away and does it again. He plays with our dog like this! He also bats you with his feet making 'pew pew' noises and loves when you surprise him, like making a fist and opening it suddenly saying 'boo!' when he tries to see what's inside it. They are just special hahaha

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I really don't know----but I do think there is "method to the madness"--- There sure seems to be thought and purpose. I've never had any of mine do that but I do recall when my Skyler first had a motion detector mirror toy. When I saw him take a toy and shove it at the mirror I was confused until I realized he thought this action was what was setting off the recording-----then a day later I saw him stop slamming the toy into the mirror and instead stick his beak into the item's eye/hole. Finally a day later and for ever after Skyler would step in front and set it off . So I never discount that animals can employ cause and effect and learn to control their own world.

Curry

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jules
I think that is so clever! Ziya looks like a toddler who can't decide between 2 toys. Adorable!

wyrinth

Avenue Veteran
It looks like she's trying to put the almond through the ring :D

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
She's definitely got a plan. I love how she carefully moves the ring away from the edge of the table - smart little girl! Zuni (M2) does something like this sometimes. He likes to put things through other things. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You should see if she'll string beads. He'll sit with me while I'm making toys and if I give him a piece of paulie rope or whatever I'm using, he'll push it through the holes in beads. He doesn't like knots in his rope, though, so they usually slip off the other end. Then he is baffled and shows it to me, and I tie a knot in one end, and he looks at me like "You RUINED my thing." and unties the knot.

Ark

Avenue Veteran
Seems like a sign of intelligence to me! She's probably enjoying the different textures together or liking how different objects move with each other. Very cute!