• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird owners who join forums/social media

BigMacWonder

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
I don't have parrots yet but I want to learn and do my research as much as possible before I get my first parrot. So most of the time, I just read quietly. :hehe:
The way I look at pet ( birds, dogs, cats, horses.....) keeping is, I bought them, Ibring them into my home and my life. SO I MUST provide them a life that they deserved....loved, cared, respected....a life with dignity.
If I failed any of my animals....SHAME ON ME!!! No excuse at all.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I think people assume they are like fish. Something you keep in a cage and just watch.
that's exactly what i think. we had someone come in the clinic one day that seriously wanted to know how to keep the bird from "shedding" feathers. ugh

After I joined AA, I would tell our clients about it all the time and I don't remember any already knowing about it or mentioning being part of any bird forum. I know a handful of clients that are on here, but that is a very small percentage of the client base. I'm not a part of any other forums, just some FB groups which have some excellent info. I have tried some others on there, but can't get over seeing the pics of dogs/cats and birds together and some pages/groups are filled with some nasty folks, hoarders, breeders and flippers :( I wish all bird owners knew about AA. From the snippets I've seen here and there of other forums, this is definitely the best place for knowledge. I also like that people aren't nasty here, but will call out dangerous or unsafe things in a gentle way.

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I go through phases of being "around" and not, depending on what is going on in my life. When my real life is hectic and needs my attention, I am rarely found online. That being said, I have always preferred to be around like minded people when it comes to animals. Sadly, in my "real" life, few fit that bill.
Social media can be a very good thing, as it allows people to see others who think like they do. It has allowed me to meet people from all over, who share my intrests. Some of these relationships are fleeting, but many are not. I have been a part of message boards going back to AOL message boards. (I used to be a moderator). Some of my relationships forged in those early days are still going strong, 16+ years later. That for me makes it a good thing overall.
Is there bad? Yup! But I feel overall the good outweighs the bad by far. :)

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Small birds are treated in the same half-hearted way hamsters and rats are. It's assumed they're small, they won't live long, and they're cheap to "replace". :( Smaller parrots are almost never even referred to as parrots. I think when they are, people tend to be surprised you would lump one of those cheap little birds with big brilliant ones like macaws.
I totally agree. Here in my country after i rescued Baylee (3 years ago) many people around my building asked me oh how long do they live? Like 3-4 years right? And i said no around 15 years or more they were like :jawdrop1: What? No way! Even a guy told me he had a budgie that died at the age 5 years. Bad diet, many people feed only seeds. Most people see my girls and tell me they lives in a palace. Or some tell me why so big, its just a small bird they dont need lots of space. And my face is a mix of :mad: With sadness. :( But then i can offer advice and still they wont change.

I know someone that have a plucking YFA (Yellow Fronted Amazon) i gave her advice for the sake of the bird and she stopped talking to me she told my friend that she was not going to do what i adviced, which was a healthier diet (s/he was only eating sunflower seeds) bird was with a dominant bird (another YFA) the other one killed its mate and the plucking started and they were still on the same cage. So i told her to separate them. Also owner moved the cage days before the plucking begun so maybe it was the cage move too.
Also there are people that think that birds only belong in the Wild and when i tell them my girls say hi to a hawk. They are like thats not possible.
One cant force people to do what we think is better there are factors.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I admit, I was one who bought my first tiel on a whim. Her name was Buddy and I bought her because she jumped on my shoulder and wouldn't get off. This was at one of those chain stores. I was sold a cage with the wrong spacing, seeds, and was told Buddy was a boy. But I did my homework and Buddy and I had 11 wonderful years together until she died of egg binding this past January. She wasn't a healthy bird and had several bouts on pneumonia but I was able to make sure she had vet care and antibiotics. I was so heartbroken that I wound up getting Bella, who is 180 degrees different than Buddy was. Buddy was the perfect tiel, she ate everything, she sat on everyone's shoulder, and was very loved. I think it is because I took the time to learn how to take care of her on my own and with another tiel forum, who were very helpful. But I don't know what kind of life Buddy would have had if she was sold to someone else who was only interested in the pretty bird. For every bird who is spoiled, I've also heard of birds who never get out of their cage and who have awful diets and are no more than a decoration. It breaks my heart. Part of the problem is that not only people don't research but the people who sell the birds have no clue about them. I think the guy who sold Buddy to me was no more than 18 yo and he had no clue about how to care of about a bird. I got Bella from a reputable breeder. My heart hurts when I hear stories of neglected and abused birds and my spirits are lifted every time one of you rescues a bird and gives it a great life.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
There are several ways to get information about birds you don't have to be on a forum however I think the most common reason for joining a forum is the real life experience others can share with you. At least thats the way it is with me. I dont care how many hourcs you have observed a bird in a lab or if you have had a bird in the past your not going to have all the answers, nobody ever is, thats why there is SO much conflicting information on the internet and in books. However by having multiple people giving you their real life experiences they can provide you with a more well rounded knowledge so that you can choose what make sense to you and your birds.

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I read this whole thread and have a couple comments about various tangents contained within.

I am very glad I found this place and was able to successfully implement a few tips on feeding new foods to my tiels, but I don't believe my birds were living a miserable life before.

My knowledge comes from 25 years ago when I got my first tiel and my parents had me read a bunch of books on care before getting her. I'd always tried to feed her pellets and veggies but was never successful. The only tip I kept reading about was introducing pellets by replacing 1/4 of seed with it and gradually increasing it so that the bird sees that it's food. It never worked. She'd never been to the vet, either, but also never showed any signs of illness(in which case I would have). None of that means I didn't love that bird or that she'd had a miserable life. I was very attached to her. RIP my sweet William(originally suspected boy, then she laid eggs). My point is, just because optimal care isn't being provided doesn't mean all of the millions of people who owns birds that are not members of parrot related internet communities have birds that are sad and miserable with owners that don't care about them. Even Cookie, the 81 year old Cockatoo at Brookfield Zoo(IL) spent 40 years on a seed only diet.

On another note, the two tiels I have now have been with me for 3 years. They came to me from a cousin and I am at least the third home for Coco and probably only the second for Athena. It never dawned on me that there would be so much updated information on birdkeeping so I never bothered to look for it(duhhhhhhhhhhhh :confused: ). I joined here a few weeks ago seeking ways to introduce new foods to them as I know one of my tiels refused to eat any pellets(both refused veggies and people foods) and only lived on seed. I was up front about how long they've been with me and am aware that I ask some newbie questions and not one person here has been anything other than super nice and helpful in their responses. I've felt no clique-y weirdness or holier-than-thou attitudes. It's made me, an extremely shy introvert with serious social anxiety(even anonymously), feel comfortable posting here. I also did find tips in the sticky threads that worked for introducing new foods and now, in these short weeks, both tiels eat pellets, sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. It soon will be more.

I have to admit that this site has given me a fixation for my slightly obsessive personality....and that has to do with bird toys. I didn't know that there were more than petstore bird toys and now I am obsessed with them(I told you all I'm technologically impaired). I haven't bought any yet, but I've been to a bazillion sites and have been comparing prices and styles and trying to decide what I want most. It is not easy to try and come up with a list within a budgeted amount. I want it all. Badly. Right now. :lol:

Have I mentioned, yet, that my birds love all of you here at AA? My husband, not as much LOL. :sneaky:

Last edited:

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
And then theres people like the person who posted on craigslist a few minutes looking to rehome two cockatiels the problem? Those cockatiels are actually budgies. The poster then proceeds to discribe them as the light blue one and the white one another problem the budgies in the pictures are green and dark blueish/grey :banghead: Atleast the cage looked clean.

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
I must agree. I think it's because people on these forums are the type who research first and know what they want, so they know what to expect and know how great it can be beyond the problems. We also have the support of eachother - we remind each other what the good times are like. Posting stories and photos are perfect! I know if I have a hard day re the birds, after I read everyones' posts and see the pictures, I feel better and remember how great my birds are instead of getting bogged down in the excess screaming that day or crazy biting. There are times I've wanted to chuck Yoshi out the window!!! But the support from the groups and this forums sees me through to the next beautiful moment, and I couldn't be happier, because the bad moments are awful but the good moments are beyond incredible!
It also makes my birds more manageable. I find out correct diets, enriching toys and all the stuff they need - this way I don't have screaming birds demanding things I've not heard of!!

Personally, I don't think rehoming is a terrible thing. I've rehomed a bird, Gracie really hated it with us. Smokie is a big dope and frustrated her, Yoshi tried to play with her, we couldn't have her out just sitting around 24/7, she was unhappy. It took me quite a while to find her a home, I was abused by a few people refusing to let them have her. Then I found a perfect home for Grace. Only 2 semi-tame budgies in a huge cage, open plan house, older, stay at home woman, no other pets so she is out all day long! And she is so, so happy, the best thing I ever did for her - other than taking her out of a bad situation - was rehoming her. Because birds are so intelligent and individual, sometimes they just don't fit in. That said, I feel the key to this is the effort I put into finding her home. I found a home that would suit her. I also have an agreement that she comes back to me if she is ever needing to be rehomed, I am in contact with the buyer, we are friends and I knew her from several of the bird groups on FB. I have done the same with my horse and dog rescues. It's so stressful to do but I made a promise to that animal by bringing it into my home - I promised to do all I could to keep them happy, healthy and safe. Sometimes that means a new home, but I will spend time and money making sure they remain there and are treated well. I spent money getting one of my rescue horses back unexpectedly and now she has found another home with kids to teach (after retraining her, she became the most perfect kids' pony) and she is ecstatic.
However, there are animals in my life I won't rehome. Smokie and Yoshi have been with me a while now and fit amazingly, I wouldn't get rid of them. Pepper, our new conure, is still finding her place but I think she will be staying forever too, especially since Yoshi loves her. If ever they decided they didn't want human company anymore, I may offer them to one of my respected aviaries but only if interaction was causing them to be unhappy. Fortunately I can't see that happening with Smokie! Too bonded to people! I just want what is best for my pets. I'd give up my dinner for them. I have had my first puppy this year (I usually only get older, rescue dogs but complicated issues had us needing a puppy this time) and it's crazy, puppies are madness, some days I'm ready to give her back!!!! But I'd still give up my meal if it meant my dog would eat. But then, I'd do that for animals who aren't mine! I'm a bit of a softy.... :bag: I've been miserable for the happiness of animals in my life! They've just given me so much <3 a lot of people I talk to online are the same about their pets, but if I talk to a random person in real life, more often than not it's 'just an animal'. It's more common to see birds in a classic, pet shop cage with plastic perches, a hoop and a cup of seed than birds kept in huge flight cages with masses of toys.
I think a lot of adults feel they know best, but they learnt back when practises were not so great and they pass it onto their kids who then also think they know best due to growing up with it. Most people don't bother to think outside their bubble and research. It's incredibly common when it comes to budgies and tiels due to them being so cheap and common. Really needs to be taught in schools to the next generation for practises to changed for the majority. People need to 'grow up with it'. I think that's the only way we would see a big change, and even then, you are probably only looking at better quality care - animals will still be rehomed at a large rate due to poor research of the breed or species.

Anyway, I could ramble all day on this topic! Proper vs realistic care of animals is a big interest of mine. Also what proper and realistic care is! I'd love all animals to get the fantastic care seen on these forums!

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
I have always done a lot of research before I buy a bird or get one that needed to be rehomed. Before the internet, I used to buy tons of books about parrots.

I always warn people who want one that they are not easy pets, and take a lot of work to stay tame. Sometimes they don't listen, and a bird quickly gets rehomed. I think forums and Facebook have valuable information. And I love looking at the pictures and videos.