• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do all you cockatoo owners think?

Smaller cages but with more playstand options VS. Larger cages but less playstands

• Smaller cage but more playstands

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Larger cages but less playstands

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I was trying to help you keep your agreement with your BF. Is Moby friendly to you and the BF? If yes, can Moby be kept in another part of the house like the family room/den where he would get more attention from you and the BF and the other 3 still be kept in the agreed bird room?

Edit: I thought cockatoos were too dusty for macaws to share a room. Do you have an air filter running?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Id LOVE THAT :xflove: :heart: :heart:

I love my anti bird social freak, My Moby. :heart:

But.....the peoples quarters are upstairs and the bird quarters are down stairs. With a 3 month old human baby, a bird upstairs around her is asking for trouble. :( :unsure1:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I was trying to help you keep your agreement with your BF. Is Moby friendly to you and the BF? If yes, can Moby be kept in another part of the house like the family room/den where he would get more attention from you and the BF and the other 3 still be kept in the agreed bird room?

Edit: I thought cockatoos were too dusty for macaws to share a room. Do you have an air filter running?
Yes, I do have several air purifiers runnings and have never encountered any issues.

Quality of air is important. I have asthma too, so I make sure the air is clean.

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
But.....the peoples quarters are upstairs and the bird quarters are down stairs. With a 3 month old human baby, a bird upstairs around her is asking for trouble. :( :unsure1:
I am curious. Why can't the bird be upstairs? No matter where you keep a macaw or cockatoo in a house, you will hear it unless the house is soundproofed. I had a loud amazon before giving birth to my first child so I do not understand why babies and birds cannot live together.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I am curious. Why can't the bird be upstairs? No matter where you keep a macaw or cockatoo in a house, you will hear it unless the house is soundproofed. I had a loud amazon before giving birth to my first child so I do not understand why babies and birds cannot live together.
Oh noise is not the issue. Baby Eva sleeps through any and all noises. She's well adjusted.

But my guys arent noisy in general.

However, we are more worried about feather dust, fecal matter dust and bites. All bad for a 3 month old. Soon baby Eva will be crawling and moving around, we dont want any accidents.

We are just taking preventative measures.
*First time parents*

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I found that my birds used their gym more when it was in another room. There was a time when I had cages in my spare bedroom and a gym in my living room. The birds obviously lived in their cages in the bedroom but came out for social time in the evening on their gym. With no other cage in the living room to fly to, they stayed on their gym better. I liked that set up because it gave the bird a different room to look at for part of the day, contained the worst of the bird mess in the bird room and I still had time to enjoy having the birds as part of the family.

My dream set up for a couple of my birds(hyacinth, goffin's and amazon pair) is an outdoor aviary where they can spend a few hours of the day for about 7-8 months of the year. Indoor cages for them to come in and be safe at night. And a playgym or two in the living room for them to get some human contact time as well. Unfortunately, I can't do that in my current house.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I like big cages mercedez. :D When my guys are out they can be everywhere but choose to spend time in the strangest places. When they are stuck in the cage, they are stuck in the cage... that is not their choice. I go big in the cages. When your little one starts going places daily, you won't feel bad that your birds are stuck in. ;) Ballet classes or girl scouts... ;)

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I was wondering if the birds were allowed anywhere else other than the designated bird rooms for human interaction.

My birds' cages are in my dining room, but, when they come out, they are either in my kitchen area or living room for change of scenery.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
At my apartment, they were EVERYWHERE. They could go anywhere they please.

But at this time, they are pretty much stuck down stairs or when I go outside, one or two get harnessed and go outside with me.

This coming spring I'll have an outdoor aviary.

But this is why I'd like to move the bigger cages into the bedroom so when they come out its not to the top of their cages, its to a big room with playstands.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I like big cages mercedez. :D When my guys are out they can be everywhere but choose to spend time in the strangest places. When they are stuck in the cage, they are stuck in the cage... that is not their choice. I go big in the cages. When your little one starts going places daily, you won't feel bad that your birds are stuck in. ;) Ballet classes or girl scouts... ;)
Oh none of the girlie stuff. We will be signing her up for martial arts and dance. ;)

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
You've received wonderful advice..I hope you figure it out M..I can't give much feedback. .I only have one too as you know. .I have a large cage, work full time so it's important that he has plenty of room for hours he spends in there. .when I'm home he's usually on on shoulder or on the couch with me...right now I Don't have a play gym..things are tight since Mom was ill..

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
And since I only have him..I make sure we go for walks..so he gets outside time. .

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ohhh how it would be nice to only have 1 or 2. I'd then just bring them upstairs to one of the other bedrooms and they'd be around us. But then, we probably have no need for the large room down stairs.

This is so frustrating. Tuesdsy or Wednesday I'll reorganize. Will probably take all day.

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
It's such hard work. .kudos to you for loving them all and wanting the best for them. ..yesterday E went to a beach party at my friends condo ..we went down to the cabana and he was the star of the party. ...he was a perfect gentleman and let all pet him and stepped up graciously. ..he was exhausted. When we got home. .

bicmeister

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
could you add cage top mounts (aka playgyms) on top of your cages if you prefer them not walking on bars?

Atul Vij

Checking out the neighborhood
Nice setup But to Big... Macaws Or big birds need not to stay much in Cage. You can have tree sand for them if you are at home Or 3 Feet By 3 Feet Cage for them To sleep and Food purposes. Always in Cage (Actually bigger cage ) Makes them pet and they cant fly much. Also some times in situation they need to be freed in Wild they cant survive.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Well I reorganized the bird area Tuesday.

Mera is with Opa in the small bedroom for the time being. Opa's cage is a prevue hendryz silverado macaw cage, and I cant find the specialized screw drover for those stupid octogan shaped screws.

But the setup is much better and the birds LOVE IT.

I'll need to add a couple more playstands in the future, or a couch back in there.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I say get the biggest cage you can afford. Time out is great but what happens when unexpected times comes up when you can't let them out for whatever reason. It happens. If you down size cages you are stuck with a small cage. Right now I am visiting in CA for four day's. No one can let Poe my Palm out. So he is stuck in his large cage for four days. I make sure he has plenty of toys to keep him busy until I return. He has the best of care and my husband is there to supervise! I think of nothing else. I can't wait to get home to give him the freedom he is use to. All my birds are free flighted but I don't trust anyone but me to let them out. My husband can let three of the four out with no problem but sometimes getting them in is another thing. When the cleaning lady comes this week my husband will take each bird out and put them in the other room while she cleans the cages but Poe will stay in and she only cleans the outside and the tray. Poe just comes to me which is a problem. Anyway I do agree if you can put them in a different room to play on several different types of stands and different heights including atoms and whatever they get plenty of exercise and stay on them. I have a large room, the main room in the house where I keep the cages, I don't like them on each other's cage. Mainly because I don't want any of them to get hurt. I put the big birds out and then the medium size birds out. No matter how many java tree's and ring stand I have in that room they still want to land on the cages. Hope this helps!