• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which pi?

Caza66

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
My hubby is after a pi, and his heart is set on a maxi pi. We have been in touch with a breeder who said that his usually breed around July/august and would be in touch when he had eggs. He never did. I sent an email to a maxi breeder who had 2 chicks but the reply came back that they were reserved. So my hubby emailed the original breeder who said there were no eggs yet. Then we realised it was the same person, why couldn't he tell us the truth!. There don't appear to be any other maxi pi breeders in the uk.

So our options are to take one from an ad, the bird being 6 months old (potential problems?) or choose another pionus. We both work during the day so are looking for a parrot that doesn't mind being on his own for some of the day but will get companionship during the evening, will take to both male and females (mostly) and fairly quiet. I think pi's fit this from our research.

So my questions are:
If we take on an older bird, at 6 months is it likely to have behavioural issues?
Are there any other pi's that would suit our house?
Are there any other parrots that would suit us? (Have linnies which are mine and have had a Senegal before)

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
I'm sure pi owners will speak up soon, but I can assure you that 6 months is still very much a baby and no where near "older." My suggestion would be to meet the bird and see if you hit it off.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes 6 months is a baby. :) And don't be so afraid to get a older Pionus, (all Pi's are wonderful) and bad behavioural in that house doesn't mean bad behavioural in your house.

But if you really want a Maxi, Denmark isn't so far away. They have 2 Maxi breeders.

Caza66

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
Thank you. We have been put off getting a rehomed bird because of potential behavioural problems. But then again, I always take on rescued/rehomed rats and they can have as many problems. Will talk to hubby tonight.

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
Mayu was 13-years-old when she came to me and I am her third home. How anyone could give her up is beyond me; she's beautiful (inside and out). Don't presume the birds are the problem with rehomes; most likely it's people with short attention spans and no commitment.

Caza66

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
Mayu was 13-years-old when she came to me and I am her third home. How anyone could give her up is beyond me; she's beautiful (inside and out). Don't presume the birds are the problem with rehomes; most likely it's people with short attention spans and no commitment.
Yes, I would imagine that a lot of people buy on impulse and then realise they don't want them. People really annoy me with their haphazard choices and no thought for the animals. Sorry, mini rant over. Mayu sounds lovely.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
:heart: :heart: :heart:

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes 6 months is still definitely a baby when you're discussing parrots. Pionus won't be a mature adult for a couple years. Go meet the bird and see. :)

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
They really shouldnt even leave the 'nest' until they are 3 or 4 mo old anyway so 6 mo is still quite young. Kobe's mom (I cant remember her screen name here) is in the UK and maybe knows of any breeders

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I have to say that my 9 year old Dusky Pionus, who was 7 when I got her is the sweetest, most loving and adorable bird. I just love her to pieces. Today, I took in 5 parrots that belonged to a friend of mine who has had a life changing tragedy and can no longer have them and one of the birds is a White Capped Pionus. He is a 5 year old male. I just got him so am still just getting to know him yet, so we'll see. Most of my birds are adult rehomes and they really aren't riddled with behavior problems. Some are, but not all. 6 months is still so very young though.

Caza66

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
Unfortunately the 6 month old pi had gone to somebody else. He has now joined parrot rescue uk and are waiting for a home visit with the possibility of taking on 2 orange winged amazons instead. Pi's just seem to be very much wanted in the uk and difficult to get hold of. In the hopes of getting 2 that are used to living with each other they will be happy on their own whilst we are at work, which was own main concern.

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
Hi, I bought Hachu just over a year ago and he is 9. He's a BHP, <-- the picture... He is a very loving little guy! My mom has birds (love birds, cockatiel, senegal, GCC) and I just love Hachu!! He is a very quiet apartment bird.

Caza66

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
I never thought to update this thread. We contacted a lot of breeders via the internet and unfortunately only one was still breeding maxi's but he had all his allocated. So about 3 months ago, he contacted us to say that he knew of a maxi pi breeder who had three and we put our name down. We went to see them a few weeks ago and chose one. It was such a difficult decision. The 2 younger ones had slightly red feathers on their heads which made them look cute. The youngest walked over to me and sat in my hand and felt he had chosen me but as it is going to be my husbands bird I couldn't let this be the deciding factor. We ended up choosing the eldest, he sat more upright and appeared to be more alert, although the difference in their ages may have been a contributing factor. As I said it was such a hard decision. But here he is (I say he but we don't know).

image.jpg

Now we have to think of a name, so far come up with Tiki, Scooby, Scooter, Pogo. We should be bringing him home in about 4 weeks time.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations. Pionus are wonderful birds.

JudiNH

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Awww..he's adorable! so glad you finally got your pi. I like all of your name choices. :D

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
He's adorable! On a now unrelated note I got my Bebe at a year old and she was the most wonderful bird ever. Now that she is gone, I am bringing a maxi hen baby home in October. When is your little ones hatch date? Honestly you can't go wrong with a pi!