• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My 2 cockatiels

purl1

Sprinting down the street
I have 2 cockatiels in the same cage. I just put them together. Ive noticed the male likes to preen the female. alot.hes preened almost all her face feathers off. I brought my spare cage upstairs but its small and I really dont want to put one of them in there.
is there something I can do to make him stop?they are not bonded or at least I dont think they are. I have a bonded pair of quakers and they act nothing like them. honestly I think Ozzy the female would care less if Oscar was in there.

any advice on what I can do? she is not in pair and doesnt sound like shes in pain when hes preening her.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
A picture would be helpful! :)Do You mean he is Pulling her feathers off?

purl1

yes hes pulling them out while. im going to make a appt with a vet to make sure its not bacterial . I think at the same time she is going through a very heavy molt. could it just be that? I dont remember her ever having such a heavy molting. Although this year she also went through her first hormonal time, or at least this time was more noticible than other times. she is almost 6

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If he's plucking her, I think they do need to be separated.

BirdyLove

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Milly
I'm not sure you should keep them together if he is pulling her feathers out because now you think it is bad but not that bad but the more you leave them together the more risk your taking of her getting a cold or a sickness!! :unsure1: ;)

Sparky04

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
If he's plucking her, then they should be separated. Especially if they're not bonded and won't be upset by the separation.

purl1

Hi sorry I havent responded back. I did seperate them when I posted this. there was no issue with them not being together. Ozzys face feathers have started to come back. I took her to the vet , nothing is wrong with her. im going to keep them seperated and just let them out for play together. I will keep her in this cage until I can afford something a bit bigger.