• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Mystery feather loss

peter simpson

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
peter simpson
Hi everyone,
I am a newbie so please forgive me if I am wrong with this post.

I have a mystery with my male Ringneck I recently put a young female in his cage,he very quickly seemed to have lost all his tail and flight feathers. I would love some suggestions from you guys as to why this might be and what I should do about it. I have isolated him but I'm not sure if the feather loss is from stress, plucking, mites or something else.i have recently sprayed him with Avitrol bird mite and lice spray .

What do you all think??

Attachments

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
A vet trip is the first thing I'd do.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Is the female possibly pulling them out? Do they get along well? Has diet changed at all? Is he getting the same amount of one on one time with his humans?
How old is he? If he is fairly young, could this be his first major molt?
So many questions, and I apologize. Sometimes these help narrow possible issues. I do agree with @thekarens. I would recommend a trip to the vet to rule out any health issues. He looks to be a beautiful guy in full feather.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
How old is He and how young is the female?Are You finding the feathers all over the cage,or under certain perch's?Are they close enough to You,that You would here them if they were spatting?Females can be VERY aggressive towards the male!She might be chasing him around the cage ,making him loose the feathers trying to escape her.She might be bullying him away from food and water.IF this only happened after You introduced the female,Take her out immediately!Cage them side by side for a long while(weeks maybe even months) then try again.They may never be compatible with each other.I have a Male and Female that woo each other from the security of their own cage,but will NEVER be able to live together.He is too docile and she is to much of a Bully!OH --Welcome to Avian Avenue!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Bonnie nailed it. You can't just put two birds together in a cage. It doesn't matter if they are the same/different, species/gender.

Think of it this way. I have selected a husband for you. He will be here tomorrow. You are going to live in this room together starting tomorrow too. This is not a choice. I did not ask your opinion. This is how it is. Deal with it.

Do you see where there might be a problem? :)

There's a good possibility that the relationship may already be too damaged. They make up their minds pretty quick who they like or don't like. Hopefully not.

Start over and "slowly" introduce them properly and hope for the best.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Looks like they may have been chewed off.

Do they have toys in the cage? How does the female behave towards the male?

peter simpson

Real Name
peter simpson
Looks like they may have been chewed off.
:arghh:
Do they have toys in the cage? How does the female behave towards the male?
Yes he has toys,He does not seem to want to have anything to do with the female at all,if we put them close together he stays as far away as possible and gets very stressed if she come anywhere near him he seems to cry and cringe.Now he is in one vairy and she is in one right beside him,but he still won't come anywhere near her,he preferrs the budgies side .

Abigail

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Then what the others are saying makes sense. Is there any way you can separate them for a while, then slowly introduce them again? If things don't improve/get worse, you should take him to the vet, although it never hurts to go now anyway!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Please don't put them back together. There has already been a lot of damage done to any potential relationship (too much IMO).

They're not compatible right now and may never be. That is the reality.

peter simpson

Real Name
peter simpson
Thanks for all your advise.
We bought him three years ago as a hand raised baby but he had a clipped wing,so we put him into a large cage with toys.We bought her 12 months ago and hand raised her,When she was eating for herself we put her beside him in another cage,his wing feathers were growing back nicely and they seemed alright so then we put her into his cage,within a day or two he had lost feathers and not doing so well. They did not seem to fight,We took her out and into an avairy beside him,that was three or four months ago,They have FRESH fruit and vegs and frozen vegies daily,they have special premium parrot mix,they have corn on the cobb every second day,they eat like kings.
We may have to accept, that they are not compatiable. thanks again

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I wonder what the quills of the feathers look like. It almost looks as if he had a "fight or flight" response and dropped all of his tail/flight feathers in his panic to get away. Now, if the hen is actually grabbing his tail and flight feathers, he could very well have dropped them in order to get away from her.