• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Hates the color RED

Gracie Lou

Meeting neighbors
Does anyone have experience with their conure hating a particular color? My green cheek absolutely hates red. If I am sweeping with the red handled broom...she attacks my hand or wrist. Chopping a red apple, for her breakfast, she attacks...I mean aggressively with tail feathers spread and leaves marks on me that last a day. Red toe nail polish...she attacks the feet...
also- gloves --she freaks out on any color of glove

When I tip her up and look into her eyes it is like she suddenly realizes it is me and begins to calm down.
It is seriously crazy...like "I saw Red" is a reality for her.

any advice or tips surrounding this???
thank you

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A lot of parrots actually don't like red. There is a theory that because many species have red under their wings that only shows when the flock takes flight, it is a color of warning.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My birds hate red and purple.

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
A lot of parrots actually don't like red. There is a theory that because many species have red under their wings that only shows when the flock takes flight, it is a color of warning.

I didn't realize that bit of info.....Thanks!!

Verivus

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Chrissy
Well, Rico doesn't like my new female Eclectus, and she's red, so there's that, lol.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Baylee4ever You need to talk to Gracie Lou - if I remember you said that Baylee or was it Kiwi hate the colour red?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Many birds don't seem to like red or bright orange. Of all my birds only my sparrow shows fear of these colors. In fact, I had an orange shirt on today and forgot to swap it for something else when I got home and when he saw me he freaked out. I always ask people who are coming over to please not wear anything red or orange.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
@Baylee4ever You need to talk to Gracie Lou - if I remember you said that Baylee or was it Kiwi hate the colour red?
Yes lol Baylee hates red, purple and black :lol:In fact i got her a purple water/food bowl and she just turn it over and doesnt drink water, she had a red plástic birdie bath and she lunge at it! I cant paint my nails in black cause she thinks its an evil monster and attack! :rofl:

Taigas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Donald
I have a green cheek that is deathly afraid of the color white. White paper, paper towels, socks etc... it freak her out. NO idea why. My other Cheek, Pip, is perfectly fine around them and love to shred them. So yah.

Gracie Lou

Meeting neighbors
:lol: this has all been very helpful and at least I know now that my bird is not a freak or something. Sounds fairly common. Jaida attacks Red and Orange but Red is the worst. I hope we do not discover other colors. I think it is strange that a whole apple horrifies her but if I cut it into pieces, leaving the red skin on, she is fine.
We must love our babies...the things we go through to make sure they do not get upset :rofl: ;)
thanks again for all the comments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
In the wilderness, red, orange and yellow can be signs of danger. Monarch butterflies taste nasty because they eat milkweed as caterpillars, so it's believed that their orange coloration is a warning sign to creatures that would eat them. The texas coral snake is red, yellow and black and venomous!

So for prey creatures, colors like that may be a warning sign to keep away and go find safety! Or attack and kill or be killed! (if they are trying to protect something)

For my flock, it would be bright yellow or orange that would freak them out and send my birds into a panic! If it's on toys, not a big deal, but a shirt is an entirely different matter.

Gloves aren't your hands, much like riding a camel is not the same as riding a horse, or a shirt is not the same thing as a sweater. Birds may under-generalize which can result in issues here or there... kind of like using gloves to tame a bird. You may end up with a tame and friendly bird while wearing gloves, but once you remove the gloves you may end up having a terrified bird that's not used to seeing bare hands. It's new. It's different. It's scary!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch hates certain hats, hoodies, and new haircuts. It's great when I discover a new trigger and get a bird next to or flying at me in a homicidal rage. :jawdrop1:
Hang in there and try to note what sets him off so you can avoid attacks and work on desensitizing him to them.

Gracie Lou

Meeting neighbors
thanks Monica for the information about the wilderness danger colors.
Yes..I am hanging in..but that homicidal rage that Dartman is speaking of is a little scary. I love her so much so I will just have to figure out all the strange things that upset her. Tonight she was just pitching one toddler tantrum after another; I finally had to put her to be early...not sure what that was all about. Birds are so tiny but yet so very complex :dead:
thank you

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Rainbow used to attack anything the color black. She hasn't noticed it in a while though, so I'm not sure why it suddenly stopped bothering her. I wish she'd figured it out before I bought a lot of non-black stuff when I wanted to though
:lol:

c7aig

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Craig Sobey
My conure sometimes regurgitates to red objects?