• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training a macaw

Cinnyluver

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
I would like some advice from you experienced macaw lovers on training tips for my new B&G, Sky. Her previous family had her on an all seed diet so I'd like ideas on how to switch her to a pellet/fresh food diet. Also any tips for training her to not be aggressive in her cage or with certain people? And any other thoughts you think would help a new macaw owner would be great:)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Macaws can take quite sometime to warm up to new things. Even my birds that I have had a year I consider still new and learning.

She may surprise you on diet. Almost all my guys took to a new diet without a second thought. Once she is home offer the pellets and put the seed underneath. For fresh foods you can sprinkle the seed on the top for starters. Roll banana in seed and such. See what she does before you worry. :D She might surprise you.

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Here are some thoughts (and if you have other questions, feel free to ask :) ):
Training Your Macaw (Moved from Blog Section) | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Btw, I've not had as much luck with dietary changes as some others, so you might want to post in the food section for that. :)
Thank you so much! That article really helped! I do have one question. you mentioned a "honeymoon phase" where the macaw is really well behaved for the first while. Skye is being very sweet and soft with me. She gently licks me with her beak and she steps onto my arm. She even tried to feed my fingers! I was surprised how sweet she is being after just one day with me. Is this the honeymoon phase? What should I expect in the next few weeks as she gets used to my house?

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Macaws can take quite sometime to warm up to new things. Even my birds that I have had a year I consider still new and learning.

She may surprise you on diet. Almost all my guys took to a new diet without a second thought. Once she is home offer the pellets and put the seed underneath. For fresh foods you can sprinkle the seed on the top for starters. Roll banana in seed and such. See what she does before you worry. :D She might surprise you.
You were totally right about her surprising me with the diet! I handed her a pellet last night and she licked it and exclaimed " MMM delicious!" and ate the whole thing and a few others! :D

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
For diet, try only offering seed/Nuts 15-30 mins before going to bed.

Then all day, keep pellets in her food dish.

And offer fresh veggies, fruits and cooked foods and sprouts at the times you want her to eat them.

Ive had the best success getting all seed eaters to eat healthier by doing what I suggested above.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much! That article really helped! I do have one question. you mentioned a "honeymoon phase" where the macaw is really well behaved for the first while. Skye is being very sweet and soft with me. She gently licks me with her beak and she steps onto my arm. She even tried to feed my fingers! I was surprised how sweet she is being after just one day with me. Is this the honeymoon phase? What should I expect in the next few weeks as she gets used to my house?
Is she a young bird? Many large macaws under the age of four are typically friendly and outgoing. After the age of 5 or 6, people usually start to see adult hormonal and breeding behaviors--they become more territorial. That's when a lot of large macaws are rehomed.

This is not to say that you'll ever have trouble with her, but yes, usually a macaw who's just meeting their new owner or new to a home, that bird may be on his or her best behavior. It depends on the bird, but it happens often enough for people to call it a "honeymoon phase." So, she may get a bit more "ornery" in the upcoming weeks, and you should be ready for some changes when she reaches sexual maturity in a couple of years. All that being said, though, female B&Gs, by and large, have a pretty mellow disposition, especially with their "chosen" human. So, what you're seeing is also just part of who she is. :)

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
For diet, try only offering seed/Nuts 15-30 mins before going to bed.

Then all day, keep pellets in her food dish.

And offer fresh veggies, fruits and cooked foods and sprouts at the times you want her to eat them.

Ive had the best success getting all seed eaters to eat healthier by doing what I suggested above.
I have 2 rescued macaws and this is exactly what I did w/ the exception of offering new fresh foods in the am feeding because that is when they seem the most hungry & willing to try new food. Also what they may like or dislike one day could change the next, so don't get discouraged.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I also only offer FRESH foods in the morning, along with sprouts. They always eat it. But if I offer it in the evening, only their favorites are eaten.

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Thank you for all the advice! She is doing very well on her diet and is eating very little seed now. She loves roudybush pellets and she's been eating almost all the fresh fruits and veggies I offer her! I give her a dish of fresh food first thing in the morning and not only does she chow down on it, it's keeps her quiet so the rest of my family can sleep:)
@Holiday she is about 3 years old. I'm starting to see her get more comfortable and she's getting a little sassy to. But she has not been aggressive towards me. She really doesn't like the rest of my family so she threatens them if they come near me. Is there any way to get her more comfortable with them? Also she has this weird thing with my feet and hisses at them and runs towards them when she's on the ground. I don't know why she hates feet so much, she's fine with everything else about me!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Feet are equivalent to birds beaks....toenails and they are at a birds level. Lots of birds do not like feet. I stopped wearing red toenail polish as my CAG (with red tail) would try mounting my toes certain times of the year! Wear slippers!