• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with 2 new bonded Linnies

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I have nine Linnies that all share one big cage. I do have one older Linnie, Bundles, who came in after the other eight and she can get more aggressive than the others and sometimes we do have to separate her. They all do have squabbles with each other. Bundles gets ousted when we have big fights and blood is spilled. I've thought of maybe finding Bundles a new home but she breaks my heart because she's been through so many and she's actually a very sweet bird but just doesn't seem to get along with my guys all the time.

As for toys, mine tend to really enjoy Molly's Bird Toys (I think the link is simply Molly's Bird Toys | Hand-made bird toys that are fun and unique although you do have to be careful. I had an incident with one toy that was two mini hats that were stuffed and they tore them apart and got the inside stuffing stuck around the neck of one of them. Thankfully I was home at the time and saw what happened. I thought it was a foot that Maxie had stuck and was stunned when I found out it was her head. Everything was fine but I won't buy that particular toy again just because it isn't safe for my crazy birds who will chew anything to pieces!:)

Joelle

Walking the driveway
@suileeka It's reassuring to hear that your linnies get testy as well! @Crys12065 Sorry to hear about Napoleon, that's very sad. I will look up your older posts about how you worked with him for tips. I'm glad someone knows what I'm talking about when I say 'growl' - it's hard to describe but it sounds like a peeved little 'grrr' and it's clearly an agitated sound.

I think you guys may have a point about it being cage-related aggression and I would love to have them come out but whenever I leave the door open for a couple hours (supervised) they stay immobile on their corner perch. I'll keep trying though. They really do seem super close and I'm hope it never escalates to where I have to separate them temporarily, but that wouldn't be the end of the world either I guess.

@RadhaVallabhi The cage enclosure is something we built from wood and plexi glass to keep them safe at night from our cat. There are two clear plexi doors that lock, but the pic shows them wide open. It's in a bit of a dark corner which is why I move the cage to the brighter room daily (except for the past few days since they seemed scared of the move).
enclosure.JPG

Is it possible to post videos in this thread? If so, I'll get some footage of the growl and how they interact.

RadhaVallabhi

Rollerblading along the road
@Joelle Yes, you can post videos. You have to upload the video to youtube then click on media next to the picture upload above your post and paste the link.

Joelle

Walking the driveway
@jmfleish That's great of you to be patient with Bundles! Do you have other females, or is she the only one? When you adopted her, did you find she played with toys and was active or more quiet? I'll check out that site but I have been into making toys and just need to get some more materials. I made one with balsa and crinkled paper yesterday and they haven't touched it but maybe they will eventually. Hoping the paper doesn't seem like nesting material.

@Crys12065 I'm not sure how to find your older posts about Napoleon - I used the search box but nothing came up with you as author?

@RadhaVallabhi Thanks, that sounds do-able. :)

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Click on Crys12065 username then go to profile page. Click the tab that says postings. Then go all the way to the bottom of the page and choose all theads started by Crys12065. Then you can scroll through all her threads and find the ones you need. :)

Joelle

Walking the driveway
@Yoshi&Reza Adding different toys was a great suggestion! It distracts them for at least a few minutes a day. I made a hanging toy with balsa, crinkled craft paper, woven palm leaves and some hidden millet and they've both been playing with it periodically. They seem to really like chewing on the palm leaves and paper. I hope they don't consume the paper though, as it looks like it's been ripped off but I don't see any remnants on the cage bottom.
Btw, I heard linnies like to hang out at the bottom of the cage, but so far Aura and Ellis are only hanging at the top. Probably just safer up there though :huh:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
They could definitely benefit from more natural perches as well as a *lot* more toys! Foraging toys, destructive toys, shiny toys (no mirrors!), toys with beads, maybe toys with craft sticks, etc. They might even enjoy a way to "hide" from viewing eyes, which can be done with toys.

If they are bickering over food, then place two food dishes in the cage and keep them somewhat separated so each bird can have their own dish if they so desire.

I don't have any personal experience with linnies, but if they are willing to eat from your hands, that's good! I have a wild caught african ringneck that I've had for around 4 or so months now, she's around 2 years old *at least*, if not older, and she's still too terrified to take food from my hands. In all honesty though, I'd rather see her in an aviary situation rather than a pet situation.

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
My linnies LOVE toys. Their favorite are wicker/rattan balls and rings. They will chew on them until they disappear. I also have a seagrass mat zip tied on the back of the cage with toys attached to it.

My linnies do play on the bottom. Down there I have a little stainless steel bucket with foot toys and balls.

I have 4 linnies in a Prevue f050 and I agree with multiple feeding stations and water spots.

Joelle

Walking the driveway
@Monica Thanks for the suggestions! I would like to make a little private area for them in the cage, but don't want to encourage mating just in case they are male and female. Maybe I'll arrange toys for privacy.
@thekarens Sounds like you have lots of cool toys for your linnies! Can I find those wicker balls at a craft store or do I need to order online? Do you make toys of your own for them? Also, what foot toys do you use?

Btw, I have two seperate food bowls with 2 compartments each in the cage, my linnies just like to eat at the same one at the same time o_O

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Maybe they just need a bigger feeding station then??? LOL

Eating is a social behavior in parrots, so it's normal for them to eat together. I have five cockatiels in one cage and require a dish for each one! :rolleyes:

Joelle

Walking the driveway
So I am still working on getting my linnies on video/youtube, but I did find a video (link below) that looks a lot like what they do sometimes and captures the little growl noise I was trying to describe. I'm now thinking this behaviour may be totally normal and aggressive.

Joelle

Walking the driveway
Btw, They don't go at it quite like this, no spreading of wings, but I have seen them hold hands.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Now I don't really know linnies, but that looks like mating behavior in the video!

Joelle

Walking the driveway
So I bought a ton of stuff from My Safe Bird Store and have improved the cage setup since last time I posted in this thread. Here's what I added:

Sea grass mat: First I put it in the cage but it got covered quickly in droppings. I tried a couple different things, rolling it into a tunnel, having it hang as a platform and finally on the back of the cage. They didn't use it when hung on back of cage, so now it's on the top of the cage for when they are out.
Rattan balls: placed on different perches, they don't play with these much, but sometimes peck at them.
Plastic beads added to hanging toys with finger-traps, wood blocks, shredded paper, etc. They show very little interest in the beads so far.
Natural branch perches that I cut and prepared from a pear tree and placed in the cage and above as a sort of 'tree' play stand that I made with a threaded SS rod that hangs from the ceiling.
Thermo perch for small birds. It is slippery though i roughed it up with sandpaper and they use it only when lured onto it with millet.
SS Skewer for fresh food. They haven't tasted any fresh food at all yet and hoping this helps if I persist.

Even with all the new toys they play very little (re-homed parrots). I'm trying to encourage them, and sometimes when I offer them something they taste it or chew it, but not often :( I've tried a bowl of toys at the bottom and they get pooped on but not played with. This bothers me since I know they like to hold things in their feet and chew them, which they do on the perches until a toy falls and then that's it for the play session. I've noticed they love to burrow so once or twice I've put tissue paper on the bottom of the cage and they go hide and run around in it. It's so cute but I'm afraid it might make them hormonal (i've seen them in mating position) and I don't want them in contact with droppings that get stuck on bottom grate. Any ideas of how I could get them playing or burrowing without being at the bottom of the cage?

**A great first this week is that they've been coming out for a few minutes of out-of-cage time. :rofl: I'm doing it gradually as they seem very unsure when out of cage and stay clung to the cage and don't explore the cool branches above! I have them step on a stick to get millet and then move the whole thing slowly out of the cage. They decide when to go back in through the side doors.

Ellie is the green one eating millet on the top of cage, Aura is blue :)

Attachments

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Everything looks great! :highfive: Sometimes it can take a really long time for birds to play with toys. Or you will try one they can't resist! It just depends... I have had Kiwi over a year now and she still won't touch certain toys or wood with color. o_O

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
Looks great! Love the set up.

I zip tie toys to the sea grass may for more play opportunities. Just an idea.

Joelle

Walking the driveway
Looks great! Love the set up.

I zip tie toys to the sea grass may for more play opportunities. Just an idea.
Good idea, maybe I'll try to put the mat back into the cage and attach stuff to it.

Everything looks great! :highfive: Sometimes it can take a really long time for birds to play with toys. Or you will try one they can't resist! It just depends... I have had Kiwi over a year now and she still won't touch certain toys or wood with color. o_O
Mine seem to be avoiding the coloured wood too!