• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there something wrong with my cockatiels wings?

HNHOBU

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
When my rescue cockatiel Gustav spread his wings today we noticed that there was some weird chalky white substance under the patch of skin his had since we've gotten him. He's not handleable so its hard to know if he's always had this or not. I've attached a photo but like I said, he's not handleable and its not the best. Your can see the white powdery stuff right where he starts to get feathers towards the bottom of the bald patch.

Should I be worried ?

Attachments

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Are you able to get a clearer picture? I'm not sure what I'm looking at or what to look at and where on the body it is.

HNHOBU

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
Not right now, I don't want to force him again. He's been through a lit these past weeks since my lovebird died. :( I'll try to highlight the problem.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Kinda looks like a cyst or some kind of growth to me, maybe even feather follice issues,have you had him in for a wellness check? When in doubt, have a vet look at it. :hug8:

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
It looks like down feathers coming in. But, the area still looks really red. A vet visit would be able to give you definite answers on what is going on.

HNHOBU

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
The area looks redder in these photos, and we just poured water on him to see if he was just overly dusty. Our vet kind of sucks and she's the only one close so were going to try praying him with aloe water for a couple of days and if it persists we will go.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The little white feathers look fine. That big red bare spot does not look fine. Looks like a possible cyst or tumour.

newatthistx

Real Name
Michele
Yes...I agree, the white area looks absolutely fine but that sore above it does not and is not something they should have under their wing area....he really needs to see a vet and possible needs an antibiotic before it spreads and he really starts showing signs of illness :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The red area definitely looks off.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
That red spot looks terrible. Was he injured recently? Or ever? Looks like something ripped the feathers and skin off.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
:dancing: I'm glad you took him in & he's getting the meds he needs! He'll feel better as well!!

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I'm glad you took him in---and that's it not self inflicted damage from giardia.

HNHOBU

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
There were no other symptoms. His poop was fine. His temperament was normal (he is always anxious)

I believe he started plucking due to his new feathers coming through and the loss of his friend Cassette. And then he kept plucking because of the bacteria caused.

HNHOBU

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
*sigh* His skin isn't red and irritated anymore and he's much more mellow (we don't see him plucking), but I'm noticing more spots looking bothered. There is a bald spot on the shoulder of his wing, and it looks like he's started plucking Hus back and thigh. He's still got awhile to be on medication, I'm just worried and wondering if the vet missed something more serious. Ugh. This is heart breaking.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Did the vet do a gram stain or anything like that? Test for giardia? I hope your birdie is okay. :hug8: