• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African Grey climbs off cage/stand

siena_mermaid

Checking out the neighborhood
My mother has an African Grey. She has started climbing down the cage and sliding down the legs of the stand. My mother does not realize she's getting down and closed the bird under the recliner this morning! We have tried everything to keep the bird from getting on the floor, to no avail. Seed guards do not work, she just climbs over them to get to the stand's legs and down she goes. We've tried putting cloths around the legs, but she just continues to climb down. She is allowed to climb all over her cage at least 8 hours, my mother is usually in the same room as the bird and talks to her often (sometimes she gets distracted by reading), and the bird has plenty of toys. She just likes getting off of the cage. Mom has tried picking her up and putting her back onto the cage, but being that Mom has difficulty moving sometimes, this is bothersome and inconsistent. The bird cannot fly, only climb. Any ideas?

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I saw where someone else had a similiar problem and put large pvc pipe around the base of the cage. I think it was on another forum, tho. Maybe someone else will come along with instructions for that or a better idea than the pvc piping.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Where there is a will there is a way. And you won't take the will away easily as she clearly wants to be with people. Can you imagine being restricted to a cage top for 8 hours a day by yourself? What about moving the cage closer to where your mother spends a lot of time?

You could try other barrier methods like plexiglass I suppose.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How about a play area on top of cage with some big ladders for climbing and perhaps some netting.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thats the one I was talking about. Glad you found it!
Wow! That is what I call a PVC pipe!

I have same issue with MC. I put him on playstand....he swings from his chain and bell over to his cage, climbs down to floor and does the soft shoe shuffle when I see him. Problem is after surgery I can't bend to see him. I'm worried he will chew on painted bannisters.

siena_mermaid

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you so much for the replies. She's quite the confusing bird! She's already in the same room with Mom, we've got her a "gym" with ladders and swings, etc. but she's afraid of it! She literally HATES new things! We are going to try the pvc recommendation. Thanks again!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Greys are like that. They can be afraid of anything new in their room or home. It is a question of consistent, gentle exposure to the item or thing. My grey was very afraid of pine cones. So I laid some around the room where she could see them and eventually she accepted them to chew on.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sounds like she is bored. Who wants to spend all day ontop of a cage?

How big is her cage?

Do you have any playstands she can be on AWAY from her cage?