• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A flock update :)

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
So the 6 tiny chicks are now pullets, and due to start laying at any time. :)

We started with 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Buff orpingtons and 2 Rhode Island reds.

We have since added 5 Bantams as well! We have 2 rose combs, 1 porcelain booted, a Sebring and a Frizzle. :xflove:
Of course I have pictures...but you will have to excuse the orientation of them...I have no clue how to fix them from my phone. :shy: 20140917_155403.jpg 20140917_155337.jpg 20140905_151044.jpg 20140905_150945.jpg 20140905_150416.jpg 20140905_150241.jpg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Theyre all beautiful!

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
Thank you! We opted to get the bantams for the kids to handle in 4H. The big girls are a little too big for little hands. :p

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
LOL. So cute. I love chickens! My uncle had a farm while I was growing up and I used to play with his chickens all the time.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:heart: WOW! there beautiful...how much fun for all of you...:)

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
Watch out for those rhode island reds, they are horrible "hen peckers" (when chickens peck the tail feathers out of the other chickens tails, this behavior is "contagious" and your others chickens will start to do it as well). I do, however, really like bantams, even though their lay rate and egg size is decreased.

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Watch out for those rhode island reds, they are horrible "hen peckers" (when chickens peck the tail feathers out of the other chickens tails, this behavior is "contagious" and your others chickens will start to do it as well). I do, however, really like bantams, even though their lay rate and egg size is decreased.
Awww, my Rhode Island Reds (within a mixed flock) are all very sweet girls! One, Agnes, has actually always been the one chicken to be protective of those lowest on the pecking order; without ever going broody. Of course, I raised them from the time they were 2 days old and socialized them...a lot :laugh:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I like the ruffley one.. how cute! The white one almost looks like a funny pigeon?