• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

pets n.scritches

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
As most of you know happy being very sweet and rides my shoulder most of the day but no fingers on da feathers or major bitey baby syndrome....i happened upon a idea quite by accident. She always gets super excited when i feed a treat thru her bars . Shell eat said treat then come give my fingers kisses and sweet chirps begging for more, of course i oblige. Well i decided to keep my finger thru the bar and see what shed do when i tried a pet or a scritch that way. Oh wow. She did not bite or.yell at me, she turned that head and rubbed her little face and made happy clicks and happy i love this noises.
Score!!!
So albiet thru bars...i can give a little pet head rub or skritch :)
:dance4:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That's a good start! :laughing12:

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
That's a good start! :laughing12:
Im so hoping thats exactly what it is...a start...and she progress to me being able to do this while shes out and on my shoulder ect. I just tried it .without a treat. She let me even without the treat!!!!
But.of course i fed her one then. Oh happy.... :xflove:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
That's wonderful! If you feel the need to scritch a birdie, you can come to my house. Miss Bella thinks that my only job in life is to scritch her and she will demand scritches constantly.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
That's wonderful! If you feel the need to scritch a birdie, you can come to my house. Miss Bella thinks that my only job in life is to scritch her and she will demand scritches constantly.
Well bella is right dont you know lol!

Keep on trying it slowly!
Ive gotten to pet a tiny spot on her neck outside of the cage this morning...yay!!
She does seem to like it more when shes behind her bars tho. Either way ill take it :)

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If Snerky considers someone a friend, she can have her head touched and kissed. :) Things poked through the bars are fair game, though!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I find young birds are often confused about the origin of The Hand coming at them when they are on someone's shoulder or in a lap. When we are standing opposite them, they can see the hand coming at them is attached to our body; but if a hand comes up at them when they are on our shoulder or lap, they can't see the hands are attached to us: they are just disembodied hands, and who knows where they came from???!!! I usually start by raising the hand and telling the bird I want to touch them and letting them see it is my hand. That usually stops the nipping.

You are doing great with Happy and you are doing the right things to have a wonderful pet.

CrystalLeo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Christi
Awww that is so great! Good Job! Hahahahaha I have the same problem with my bird, hmmm think i'm gonna try this too lol :laugh:

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
A few years from now you'll miss having a hand that doesn't permanently have a cuddly lovebird attached to it. :hug8:

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Well to update a little more...happy is very happy to kiss,rub against, be skritched by my entire hand so long as.its inside her cage and shes inside her cage with.it. the second she and or my hand is not inside that cage, she does NOT want to be petted or scritched. I can kiss her head to tie, turn her on her back and kiss her belly even...but if my hand does anything other than feed her,fetch her or have her step up..target ect..i get a warning nip,and then shell ream me good if i dare not listen.
Ive gotten to where i dont even try it outside her cage anymore, i feel shes made it very clear i can kiss her and hold her and thats what she is comfortable with outside her cage. I can totally live with that because she truly is a sweet bird. Im only bitten when i mess up. So i give her pett and.scritches right before i let her out of her cage ...kiss her head to.toe, and get kisses back lol. Works for us both . :xflove: