• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

question about java tabletop stands

HKsai

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Timothy
I'm thinking about purchasing a A&E java tabletop stand for my cockatiel and I ran into a lot of different shapes. I'm wondering if anyone that owns these stands can give me insights on which one will be best for a small size cockatiel. Is it better tall than wide? Some have branches that are clump together and some are more spread out. Which one will be easier to clean and etc. Any inputs will be appreciated!

Small Tabletop

PS: are there any other places that sell them? I tried MySafeBirdStore but they only have the large ones available.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You're smart to think first . . . . I jumped in and bought one and the arrangement of the branches wasn't good (poo is on there consistently). That would be my major concern now in purchasing something is if the arrangement of the branches would work for my amazons (they have to be on the highest point/no talking them out of it).

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wider is better than taller. If the branches are too clumped then the bird will only use the top ones and everything else will get pooped on. On the other hand, if the branches are too spread out (pretty rare but possible) then it could be hard to navigate and they will poop on whatever you set the stand on.

Parhelion7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kylee
Look for a wider one with lots of nice horizontal branches. Imagine your bird on it. If he was on this branch, could he easily get to that one? If not, could you add something to help him? Where are the toy hooks? What kinds of toys would be the best fit for the hook placement? Are they accessible from the branches? Are any branches in the poop danger zone?

Also, java wood is usually pretty easy to clean in my experience. The trays are a bit harder, though, because Ziya likes to perch on the edge and poop in the corners :bored: Not sure if that's just her, or if many other birds do that...

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
If you can go to a store to look at them in person, the best ones are wider and the branches don't overlap or overhang too much. We just purchased a second table top from Kings Cages and we have the good fortune of being driving distance to their warehouse and being involved with the shelter, we go to pick up our large orders and we are allowed to actually go thru the stands. Its the best way to pick out the right one, even if you are going to a bird store that sells the stands. We have 2 table and 2 large trees and the one is not as wide and it is a pain to keep clean since the branches overlap more, odds are the poo will hit something!! Here are a few pics for you, hope they turn out sitting on the sofa taking the pics :)

Our largest one (with all the boings and fleece ring) was purchased used and its an awesome stand, we've never found another quite like it, its almost perfect, it is wide but lots of branches for birds to climb and various sizes so it works for little budgies up to Max the blue and gold.

They are really easy to clean overall, you can put paper towel or newspaper on the base, and just spray the wood with aviclean or red vinegar and let set for a few minutes, a scrubbie sponge will get everything off with no problem. Anything really tough, you can use a putty knife and the wood is so hard, it comes clean wonderfully. I am a huge fan, can't say enough about the good java stands, well worth the investment!

Good luck and post pics when you get one, see birdies enjoying their new play gym!! :dance4:

Hope the photos and babble about ours helps a little with picking out something for your guys!!

New tabletop - this one is great for most sizes and is spread out enough, the branches stay pretty clean :)

This is the first tabletop we picked up, purchased it used, so was a great steal at $20, but only reason we got it, its very upright and makes for good climbing exercise, but its the one that poo is bound to hit something!

New java tree stand - this one I purchased with the medium guys in mind, is perfect size branches for the bare eyed toos and the little amazon foster we have right now. The branches are fairly spread and kinda arching, so far pretty clean with most poo on the bottom tray/stand :)

This is the mother of all java stands for us. We all love this stand and every bird loves it. We can even safely have multiple birds out and they have their own area with how wide the stand is left to right. I keep looking for another one like this, but no luck so far.

HKsai

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Timothy
Thanks for all the comments!!! There's a link in the first post and then there's pictures of different options. Do you guys have one in mind that is better than the other?

Abigail

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
They each really vary so much. If I were to buy one, which isn't unlikely, I would purchase one from a website where I can see the exact one I'm getting, or buy from a store so I can check it out in person. But that's probably already obvious. :)

Kevin Mc.

Walking the driveway
don't order online, you get whatever they decide to send, no two stands are the same, so its best to see in person to get what you are looking for.