• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather picking & hormones!

Emrarrr

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
Hi All!

As mentioned in a previous post I am the owner (or I am owned by!) a beautiful DNA sexed male Rainbow Lorikeet called Aladdin. He is approximately 2 years and 3 months old, I purchased him when he was approximately 1 year old.

After about 6 months of owning him he became extremely hormonal! He doesn't bite me or anything but he occasionally will bite my husband out of jealousy but other days he will happily sit on his head and preen him! His hormonal behaviour is basically humping everything in site and regurgitating often. He also shreds paper and makes a nest and scratches around in it and likes to show me what he has built. He is very attached to me as I am to him but I can tell he is getting sexually frustrated and I don't know what to do!

I have also noticed he has been picking his feathers between his legs and around his stomach area and now it seems to be getting worse. The first vet said picking could be liver related but the second vet I saw who is one of the best in his field said hormones were a likely culprit. Do you think this is likely the case? He does a lot of hen like things for a boy! He does elaborate dances for me every time he sees me etc lol :dance4:

There has always been another female lorikeet around but at the moment we have a young male lorikeet which we rescued and I am wondering if this is causing him more hormonal stress? Would he be better off separate from the male or from both the male and female?? My mum can look after the little boy for me if need be. Would he get too lonely on his own even if I spend a lot of time with him?

I am worried that there may be more to the feather picking as he gets quite itchy now and then and even some native plants makes him really itchy but he keeps eating them! Any advice would be greatly appreciated as he is my world :)

Thanks
Em

shesocalifornia

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina
When did you rescue the other bird??? Did you quarantine it? Feather picking can be so many things really. Giardia can be passed in stools and some birds can be carriers and not show symptoms. It could be behavioral..such as hormones or the introduction of a new bird in his territory. It could be he is lacking something in his diet...what do you feed? It could be mites but I doubt it but if he is itching bad maybe??? I would think it hormonal like you vet except you said he is super itchy. Maybe some aloe would help?? If he starts picking on the inside of his wings and back and shoulders....including chest and legs....I would strongly suspect giardia. Especially with the introduction of a new bird. Does he have diarrhea?? I am going through the same thing as you are. I just rescued a m2 and she came already plucked and hormonal. So now the vets play the guessing game...it could be liver..etc. it is so frustrating....also birds can get giardia from fresh produce that has not been cleaned well. There are so many things!!!! Keep us updated on what your vet says. Also does he have lots of shredding toys??? I have been told when they get too hormonal to put them in their cage till they chill but I am not a expert on that Side of things.I am having my own struggles! Lol Good luck!!

Emrarrr

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
Hi! Thanks so much for your reply :) Weird I was actually leaning towards Giardiasis as it popped up a few times in my research! We did quarantine him as I am always super paranoid haha and he has been tested for PBFD. The young male however is a bit dull or maybe mangey looking in a way but he is young and all his feathers are correct and is healthy in all other aspects thankfully!

They get vetafarm and woombaroo wet nectar mix plus native flowers and fresh fruit and veges- maybe that could cause it ?? He has actually been itching around his legs? I think I will take him to vet ASAP to get him tested!

You have really helped thank you! Also there is a little scan where he has been picking but I think it is from an injection site

Emrarrr

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
To the left of his abdomen near to the right Wing the under skin looks sort of blood red, not sure if that is just a pectoral muscle or normal etc, he is otherwise healthy and happy :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Has any medical tests been performed to rule out medical issues?

Have you tried any behavior modifications and environmental changes to reduce hormones?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Increase baths for itching. Place your bird in a carrier and take for a car ride (distraction) Move the cage and change it around. Leave him be in his cage and the hormone will pass. Change amount of light. Read what is a good way to encourage a bird to mate and have babies. Now interrupt that cyce such as light and type or amount of food. We sometimes encourage the behavior. My ekkie has taken up nest making behind the sofa and wants to attack anyone who comes near. She is in her cage or at a play area where she cannot hide in a dark area.

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
my lorikeet plucked his feathers around his neck. the vet took blood and looked at his poop. he had a slight infection and needed anti biotics. they couldnt really determine whether he got the infection from plucking, or he started plucking becasue of the infection. his neck feathers are still gone as they come thru he pullls them out.. i think they bug him. I was going to put one of those littel vests on him...or a collar..but i also read that they might start plucking another area from the stress of wearing this...so hsi neck is still bald. :(