• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

He's here!

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Here's a few bad videos of him, showing that hawkhead "slow creep"

and a few more pics:

And Mopar, too. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Nice birds and photos. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He is a beautiful hawkhead!

Matt

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
aww, what a cutie! congrats on your new baby :highfive:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like he is fitting in pretty well! :) Have you introduced him to Mopar yet? Target doesn't seem to like any other birds, completely anti-social, haha. I'm not sure Target makes any hissing noises that can be mistaken for wheezing -- her angry hiss is more like a quick, aggressive "hah!" I hope someone with more knowledge than me will come around soon. @waterfaller1 @Birdlover

Maverick is such a character :xflove: Love him! :heart:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's a few bad videos of him, showing that hawkhead "slow creep"

and a few more pics:

And Mopar, too. :)
I can't see the videos, for whatever reason :( Do I need a photobucket account?

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
I've been letting them "see" each other for the past few days at a distance, but in the same room. So far, so good. Maverick hasn't displayed the typical angry hawkhead stance when in sight of Mopar. Mopar does't display any signs of aggression, either. I swear, Mopar is not a typical Amazon... he is just so laid back and docile, doesn't seem to care about much, in terms of changes. I have a theory that my job, which will have me away from home for 3-12 days at a time may have helped him accept when things are different and that they will return to normal. IDK if there's any truth in that, but I've never had a bird quite like him. However, he is still young (going on 3) So we'll see if that changes.

Yes, that's the sound! The - "hah". He is still sneezing, but I don't hear the wheezing or gurgling, like from the first few days. I did call the vet, and she told me to keep an eye on him. As long as he is not showing any other symptoms, she thinks he will be ok. Sometimes it can take over a month for these upper respiratory infections to completely clear. They also don't want to over medicate, as we all know how that can be just as bad. (Plus, since this is probably a viral infection, like most "colds", antibiotics won't really do anything.)

I didn't think you needed a Photobucket account to see those videos? I'll go back and see if they are somehow not set to public. If not, I'll see if I can attach them directly here.

Oh, and here's the photo of him in the harness, which we put on wrong. LOL! Now I understand the frustration around these... I mean first the bird has to accept this, and then the person has to sit there and futz around trying to figure out how it even goes on. :lol: He did well, though! I didn't even get a hiss. Which was exciting, as I really want to be able to take him outside. He is WAY to good of a flier to not have harnessed outdoors. Speaking on which, He likes to fly to me from across the room. He even landed on my head the other day. Goofball.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Practice putting a harness on a stuffed animal. This gives you a feel for the harness, how to hold it, how to put it over a head and stick arms through the openings.
Taking them out is so much fun

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
that is a great idea! Thanks!!

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Oh look who was a good boy, and let me get the harness on all the way today! (BTW, the practicing on the stuffed toy - helped immensely!)

I just love the way their feathers look in the sunlight!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Excellent. You are going to have many fun days going out together. Best friends!!!! (ps, glad the stuffed animal suggestion worked for you)

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
These outdoor shots are amazing. Good job!

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
:dance4:

So excited! Hope he continues to get used to it, as I think he liked being outside. So would love to take him places!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Fantastic lovely photos. :heart: I am jealous you can harness and take him outside! One word of caution~ well a few...of course be careful of other critters, but also do not quit putting the harness on in bad weather/etc. I had Holly used to the harness as a baby, quit during the winter, then when it warmed back up it was a No-go. She won't let you get it anywhere near her now.
What kind of help do you need? Looks to me like you are doing great together! :hug8:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Oh look who was a good boy, and let me get the harness on all the way today! (BTW, the practicing on the stuffed toy - helped immensely!)

I just love the way their feathers look in the sunlight!

He is just beautiful and the pictures are wonderful. He looks so sweet and his feathers are just beautiful

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Fantastic lovely photos. :heart: I am jealous you can harness and take him outside! One word of caution~ well a few...of course be careful of other critters, but also do not quit putting the harness on in bad weather/etc. I had Holly used to the harness as a baby, quit during the winter, then when it warmed back up it was a No-go. She won't let you get it anywhere near her now.
What kind of help do you need? Looks to me like you are doing great together! :hug8:
Thanks! We are trying our best to make sure he is comfortable here. :) Thanks for the words of caution! I'll definitely make sure to harness him weekly. I believe the help was in reference to the noises he makes. But JosienBB chimed in and answered it. :) I'm still trying to figure out what's normal and what may not be. :lol: Speaking of which, we did go back to the vet today, as he is still sneezy, but showing no other symptoms. The vet said everything sounded great, and his CBC, as well as gram stains were all normal. So she decided against another round of antibiotics, as it can be tricky with young birds. Since the antibiotics could kill off the good bacteria and cause other problems to surface, like yeast. She is leaning towards something environmental, perhaps its a tad too dry. (Which is odd, since it's still summer; but maybe our A/C filter needs changed or something.) Told me to just keep an eye out, and if I wanted to, could try some children's benedryl, and see if that helps. She also mentioned that the Pionus parrots sometimes sneeze when stressed or upset about something. She was not aware of this in hawk-heads, but thought it was interesting. Do any of your birds sneeze at all? And if so, is it only at certain times?

On a side note, Mopar does sneeze a little too, from time to time. But not nearly as much as Maverick. So many we do need to change some filters or run a humidifier.

I also am using my old blogspot to write about Maverick. So if anyone wants to follow along, feel free!
Auto-Asphyxiation