• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I literally rescued this macaw and it changed my life.

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
wow that gym is impressive! thank you for rescuing this poor soul! also you're so beautiful!

faeryphoebe1

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Oh, what a sweetie he is. ♡♡♡

Thank you for saving this amazing creature. I had tears in my eyes reading his story.

LiL_Caity

Sitting on the front steps
Whoa-thanks so much for all the supportive comments! :heart: :heart: :heart: You are all so kind!!!

To answer some of the questions:

His health issues have been improving. We still don't know the origin of some, like the stinky excrement. It will take time. He's had fecal examination, he has gained weight slowly back to normal condition, next we will do a blood test and then see from there. I think it might be liver damage from having been starved but still there is more to find out. It wouldn't have been good to do too much all at once to him because of his fragile state and it was also a lot of money. We had saved quite a bit for various medical care but ended up having to pay it to the former owner so we could keep him. I told the man and he didn't care, he said "well you don't have to pay me, I can take him back you know" uhhhg the hatred I feel is so strong. But he will reap what he sows as well.

I built the stand out of cat furniture that braces against the ceiling. This way it will not wobble around and he can flap those wings with all his might. You can see him in action on it in the video I posted. You can look at how I built the stand and the ladder here: Solving Parrot Problems: Videos and descriptions with different parrots by Caitlin Rice: Sebastian on the big play stand

The cat towers were $40 each. This is how I started with him because he was terribly afraid of everything. This was just challenging enough for him to get used to without too much stress.

I would suggest having lots of wood and chew things available and not continuing to use it if your bird chews it apart. The segments between the platforms are hollow and made of really heavy duty cardboard. If they were chewed through it would be very dangerous structurally.

I can make it wider or narrower depending on where I screw in the giant dowel rods. I got them at home depot. The link shows how I drilled holes so I can put the rods where I want to. You can make it diamond shaped, or a triangle with an arm sticking out, etc.

I changed it up a bit several times to see how it would work best for him and to help him feel comfortable with variances in the environment.

The ladder is really helpful for him to climb. He was so weak and wobbly and insecure at first with his blindness and curling nails. The ladder made a huge difference. There's one on the stand and in his cage. If anyone else has a parrot with a disability this might suit them well.

The stand is rather tall as well. I'm about 6ft tall and it comes up above my shoulder slightly. Good to know for people who aren't quite as tall.

Here you can see him on the stand and he's hanging out on the lower level. This was the first time I walked in on him down there, he used to never venture down lower on his own. He would only go down there for treats. But I had been scattering treats like little bits of seed or corn kernels and he started feeling safe. I took the video because I heard him talking like 'the jerk'. You can play it from the beginning and hear him copy that repetitive command over and over the way some people do. I have another video like that I need to add onto it.

And for those who happened to read the story, the conclusion should be up tomorrow. I'm not sure when the webmaster is putting it up but I've already sent it to him :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Just lovd your gym for him. He's in a great home now.

About the stinky poop, has his feces been cultured to see if he has an intestinal bacterial infection?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I have to admit that I have a certain reservation when it comes to larger beaks so I can only offer my huge admiration for someone who has the backbone and fortitude to work with a macaw. I will still read your post and live through them just in case I am called on to help an "arara" as they are called in Brazil.

LiL_Caity

Sitting on the front steps
Just lovd your gym for him. He's in a great home now.

About the stinky poop, has his feces been cultured to see if he has an intestinal bacterial infection?
Yes, that was the first thing I did when I got him. No virus or bacterial infection was found in the culture they did on the feces. The smell is peculiar and my suspicion is that it may be an internal organ malfunction.

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
Amazing - he is very lucky you found him!!!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so glad that you have Sebastian. He probably has liver and kidney disease because of the neglect and bad diet. Don't ignore those possibilities. Put him on Milk Thistle (you can't hurt a bird with Milk Thistle) and Pro-biotics immediately (you can't hurt a bird with pro-biotics either).

I really, really advise DMG for a bird that has been neglected as badly as Sebastian has been. Of course, check with your vet, but consider it. DMG: A Nutrient for the New Millennium

A daily dose of "Red Palm Oil" will stave off many heart diseases and make his feathers glow. My vet and I agreed on .02ml of RPO when Hank had a MRSA infection.

These birds do not come out of such bad treatment for years without without consequences.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Congrats on all the progress you have made with him so far.

May I suggest you offer more a variety of different sizes, shapes, texture of perches as they seem to be about the same size dowel rods. The play area might be harder to change out but you can do more with the cage at least. Find some manzanita that have more dips and valleys in it so that he can use his goes more and not such a level surface.

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
Thank you for rescuing this precious precious being!!! It always breaks my heart reading stories like this, but the outcomes are ALWAYS worth for me when they find peace, love and happiness again!!!! :hug8: :heart: :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for saving him. It's so nice to read a story with a happy ending. Sebastian is just beautiful. :)

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Great story. So glad he has you now.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:hug8: wow! Sebastian has the wings, but your the angel...amazing how you poured yourself into the rehabilitation of this beautiful creature....thank you, thank you, thank you......give S some scritches for me..
  • :)..

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sebastian's story made my heart seize up. Knowing many parrots find themselves in the exact same circumstances everyday, gives me nightmares.

Sebastian is one of the very lucky one's, in that he was found and fought for, by a loving person. I pray that every Sebastian out there can find their own guardian angel.

I'm so happy Sebastian found his.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Such an inspiring story. Hope you will continue to share with us and a big :hug9:from all of us.