• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conures and Cockatoos

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
About 2 months ago I found a Cinnamon GCC in the tree in front of our house. Being bird people, we realized he was a pet and in need of a home. He was trying to fly to people walking by and scaring the heck out of them, but would not come to me. I finally tried standing under the tree eating French fry's and that did the trick. He was on my shoulder chewing on a fry in a flash.

After making numerous posts on lost parrot sites and putting up flyers, we realized we were not going to find his owner, and we had another bird. Since he has become my little buddy, I named him Gilligan.

So he has been checked by the vet, and and ready to come out of quarantine, but I am curious about mixing Conures and Cockatoos due to the Too's dust. Our Macaw and Cockatoo have lived in the same room (with an air filter) for 25 years with no problems thank goodness, but I cannot find anything about how susceptible Conures are to Too dust.

Does anyone have any info?

Thanks,
Scott

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Congrats on the new addition! And thank you for saving him! I only have my Roma (GCC), so not very sure on the dust issue. Hopefully someone will be along soon to help.
Oh, and one more thing......... :needpics: :lolsign:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Just be warned, greenies think they are big and bad and sneaky too. Don't let little Gilligan get injured by the bigger birds. Thanks for taking him to the vet and taking care of the little guy!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Not any "more" susceptible than a Macaw. If you're taking the proper precautions (as you are) with air filtration then I can't see how it would be any different.

All my birds live in the same air (2 cockatoos, 4 littles) with filtration and there is no problem.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
We have 2 of these awesome guys and 2 toos in the house. Having a filter and taking same precaution you are with your macaw will work.

At the shelter the small bird room is next to the too room and we have several filters in the too room and 1 in small bird room and we have no issues, never had an illness related to the dust.

Huge hugs for not only being willing to help this guy but going out of your way to get him home! He's a lucky little guy :)

And very good point to be careful of Gilligan with the big guys, Gilligan won't realize he's a tiny thing and could get his head smushed. Our gcc ' s chase the cats,, so they totally missed the memo about how small they are!!

Skipper

Real Name
Scott Schifer
Thank you all for the advice. I did not see any reports of issues with Too's but wanted to see what others know. I have read about GCC fearlessness. It goes with their personality. I will put mesh over the Macaw cage in case he lands on it. We clipped him, but he still tries to fly. This guys is a micro version of our Macaw, but not as cranky. He is sitting on my shoulder right now being good, other than trying to chew on my ear.

Here are a couple of pictures.

witchbaby

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
He's a cutie! :xflove:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:heart: Very cute...of course I am obviously biased :lol:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a cutie pie. Thanks for going the extra steps to get this little one off the streets.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Skipper You've probably also found out that gccs are very lightweight so even with clipped wings they are able to fly to a certain extent, more-so when they set their minds to getting somewhere now!

Skipper

Real Name
Scott Schifer
We have the clip about right. His flight path is about 45 degrees down. Allowing him to control his path, but not get too far. Had his previous owners clipped a few feathers, much heartbreak could have been probably been avoided.

He has a leg band marked BBF. I believe it means Baby Bird Farm in Illinois. The as I understand, the BBF owner passed away on 2009 so they are closed. I would love to find out if anyone has his records to more back ground Gilligan. I know he(?) is at least 5 years old.

Thanks,
Scott

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The Baby Bird Farm was owned and run by Cliff Patterson, who was an absolutely lovely elderly gentleman. His birds were marvelous; the babies were tame, socialized and sooooo friendly. I have 2 of his Quakers, JJ and Baby Blue and I think they were some of the last sold through the Rolling Meadows bird fair.

If you are interested, I can ask friends who might have known him or know what happened to what was left of his stock of birds and any records he had?

Skipper

Real Name
Scott Schifer
I have heard nothing but good things about Mr. Patterson. Sorry to hear he passed on. I sent you a PM.

Thank you.