• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Wild Parrots in Brownville, Texas

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
These are not a nice as I would have liked but given the conditions it is amazing that I got anything. I would normally keep this to myself but for my parrot loving friends I just had to share. So everyone, get down to Brownsville and take some better pics for me. This was the most incredible thing.

They were colorful and load and playful and loud and crazy and did I mention loud.

BrownsvilleParrots-13.jpg BrownsvilleParrots-12.jpg BrownsvilleParrots-11.jpg BrownsvilleParrots-9.jpg BrownsvilleParrots-8.jpg BrownsvilleParrots-7.jpg BrownsvilleParrots-6.jpg BrownsvilleParrots-5.jpg BrownsvilleParrots-4.jpg BrownsvilleParrots-3.jpg

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
I've seen these and green parakeets in McAllen. They are very cool. Nice pics!

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Wow! I had no idea we had these in our great state! Nice pictures!

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Do you know about how many wild parrots are in Brownsville?

Thanks for sharing the photos!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Very nice pictures! It must have been great to watch them!

Matt

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
:xflove: I think they're green cheek or red crowned amazons. They look just like my Lucy.

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
As far as I know there aren't any wild conures in Texas. There's a few species of zons and green parakeets (not budgies.)

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
very cool!!! Here in Houston close to my house I have seen a flock of quakers. I know they aren't indigenous to this country, and alot of people consider them a pest BUT I love them. It's not their fault they are in this part of the world, its ours. All they are doing is surviving. :heart:

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
very cool!!! Here in Houston close to my house I have seen a flock of quakers. I know they aren't indigenous to this country, and alot of people consider them a pest BUT I love them. It's not their fault they are in this part of the world, its ours. All they are doing is surviving. :heart:
I love them too. There used to be huge nests/colonies near Adventures In Birds but the city has since taken them down, maybe because they were taking over the power lines.

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Great pics. We have them here in California too. They're Red Headed Amazons. Some call them green cheeks. Thanks for sharing.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
That's too cool! :). Thanks for sharing those photos!

Quakers have set up in various parts of the country. There's an established flock of them in Chicago! They have endured here for many years , harsh winters and all.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I've seen these and green parakeets in McAllen. They are very cool. Nice pics!
I think those are Monk Parakeets or Quakers. I have seen them as well. Always fun to see parrots in the wild :)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Do you know about how many wild parrots are in Brownsville?

Thanks for sharing the photos!
I really have no idea but there were at least 30-40 of them and there are actually three different species of Amazons among them.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
They don't know there s a border. They go for food and safety. I am sure some got loose but there are a few species that use to cross the border in Az A lot of art from the area shows parrots including scarlet macaws

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
I think those are Monk Parakeets or Quakers. I have seen them as well. Always fun to see parrots in the wild :)
Nope, not monks/aka Quakers. Birders use a lot of different names for parrots than what we use. If you check eBird it will give you dates and locations of where they've been seen in McAllen. I have a video of them somewhere bathing in this huge fountain near dusk. I'll try to find it.

Had to look it up. It was on 10th Street between Violet and Dove.

Last edited: