• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming IRN

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
From my experience with IRNs I don't believe this is a reinforced behaviour, it's just something IRNs do when they don't like something in their environment, his trust and security issues are challenged when a stranger enters his environment. Personally I think the only way you are going to avoid the screaming is to move him when you know a visitor is coming and put him back to his regular environment when there are no visitors.

Or that. :)

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
My IRN tolerates few people, I'm just being honest. She's my personal house alarm because if she sees a stranger you'll know about it for the next 10 minutes. I don't have company over much so it's never too much of an issue. Then she gets quiet and looks at me and others for treats. Fortunately the screaming never lasts very long.

Her and I stayed with my aunt on vacation for a week a while back, when she'd get quiet my aunt would give her pears and what not. I'm surprised my bird didn't come back fat as much food as my aunt sneaked to her. If she's in the other room and hears people she occasionally has a habit of calling out to me, the bringer of food. Though not seeing the stranger does make her scream less before she gets acclimated to them.

ladydi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Diane Colette
Hi our lil nutty Gilmour screams out if he wants attention or food lol but I ignore this sound and only respond to his soft lil coos...so far works out
I see him look at me for reaction when he screams, and I just act as if I havent heard a peap.

Also not sure if someone else said this but have you tried to offer covering or partial cover when they come over so he 'escape' to his den yet still be able to come out or be in mix?
Our guy is in living bc of design and space of apartment so when anyone come by or he feels uneasy he just walks his way back to cage or climbs down
in area that is covered?

:D