• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So very close to death

blackivory

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chels
I was extremely close to losing my beloved Kakariki Two-Tone yesterday afternoon. I let them out for a fly in their bird room and came to sit out on the computer while I had let out the Eclectus parrots out too.

A few minutes later three Kakas come shooting out in to the main room! Thankfully the Eclectus couldn't care less and just eye balled these crazy little flying machines. So I let them have a big fly around. Warned my partner to take care when coming home from work.

All of a sudden they took flight and had a mini scare and one Kaka went smack in to the glass window. I didn't see anything come flying back up, so I walked over and she was laying on the floor not moving. Feet clenched. Freaking out she was going to die in my hands, I took her in to my room and put her in a soft bedded container to see if she would recover.

Then came out to catch the others so the same wouldn't happen to them. Got them all back in the cage.

Checking on Two-Tone every ten minutes, I mixed up some spark water and gave her a bowl of seed. Over the course of the evening she perked up and started to eat and drink. I left her in the container over night and this morning she was back to normal! She's now back in the cage with the others.

I really thought she'd killed herself yesterday :depressed:

Now I am in two minds about keeping them in the house. I have two spare aviaries outside with a secure walk in section. They are such smart little parakeets that keeping them in the bird room [where it is safe] is going to be an issue. Adding an internal door isn't possible at the moment. I just have those magnetic fly screen door thingys but they've worked out how to get through. So has Sage but she follows me around anyway.

But if I move the Kakas outside, Sage will have to probably move out here with the Eclectus. Or she will be alone. Sage is good with the Eclectus but of course I watch when ever they are out together.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Can you put something on the glass to remind them it is there? Window stickers or frost them somehow? Glad she is okay and didn't hurt herself badly.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
Said window is massive! I did consider putting up curtains and I guess I could stick up a sheet as my partner [the handy man] is going overseas Friday. So not much will get done for a few weeks. Or maybe stick up newspaper?

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
They make a stick on type of glass frost that we can get at the hardware stores here. Pretty easy to apply. I have done it to a window in my house. If they don't have it near you, I would put newspaper or something just to make sure they remember it cannot be flown through. Two Tone may remember after that headache, though! :lol:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I at one time put cling-on decals on my large picture windows. I chose flowers and butterflies.

They're just large plastic clingy things that stick to anything. I even put a cockatoo one on my van's windows!

They worked well for me.

So glad your bird isn't severely hurt. I know the panic you went through. :(

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I at one time put cling-on decals on my large picture windows. I chose flowers and butterflies.

They're just large plastic clingy things that stick to anything. I even put a cockatoo one on my van's windows!

They worked well for me.

So glad your bird isn't severely hurt. I know the panic you went through. :(
Thank you.

How far apart did you put them?

RadhaVallabhi

I'm glad he's okay! I really appreciate you sharing that though, I have large windows as well and am thinking I need to be more careful.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Thank you.
How far apart did you put them?

Hummm..it's been quite a few years now. I'm guessing 2 to 3 feet, but they were scattered. I'd have a flowering vine going up one side then butterflies in between the next vine.

I know the web has many sites for window decals. You can get them of anything!

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Glad your little Kak is okay

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Can you put lace curtains up, let's plenty of light in and they can easily see it.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I'd have to put up another curtain rod. Do you think window decals would work?

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I think if there is any clear glass areas they would think they could fly through, I think some form of curtain is your safest option.

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I remember when I first got Gypsy home someone suggested painting squiggles on the windows with damp soap. It was just until shr learned that glass wasn't 'fly-through'. It might be a cheap and a quick solution until you decide what else to do.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'd have to put up another curtain rod. Do you think window decals would work?
I have the Alert decals on my bedroom windows (also used them when I had mirrored closet doors) for Ruby's protection. She used to crash into the windows so hard I was afraid she'd break her neck. Now she flies toward the window but turns to avoid the decals and lands safely somewhere else. They are frosty clear so not ugly and I forget they are there. I don't know if they will work with every bird but I feel it's worth a try.

Amazon.com : Window Alert Maple Leaf Decal : Bird Window Alert Decals : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Wow! I like those! Thank you for sharing!

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I ended up moving all of the Kakarikis outside. Sage now lives out in the main room with the Eclectus.

They seem happier out there as they can fly around as they please.

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
They are hyper birds, they will definitely enjoy the space :) and keep them safe from any cheeky ekkies :)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Just received a note from local wildlife rehaber. Use a yellow hi lighter and draw close together lines both vertically and horizontally. Not visible to use but the color is seen well by birds. Keeps wild birds from flying into windows. Should work the other way around also.