• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mogli has another toe injury

kathykeltsy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
kathy
Same toe but on the other foot taking him to the vet first thing. I was wondering could a budgie who is locked in her cage have enough strength in her bite to almost bite off my conures toe? It's just so strange that this happened again but on the other foot. The toe on the left had to be amputated since Mogs wouldn't let it alone and the toe just died

Can't edit the title but I'm sure you know I meant toe injury

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Poor little guy!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
How did the first toe die? Did you take him to an avian vet and get it wrapped? No medicine for pain and inflammation? Antibiotic for bacteria? Sure any bird can bite a bird's toe. You say the budgie was in her cage, so how could she get to the conure? Have you checked all the cage bars and toys for the possibility that he got it caught on something? Sorry for all the questions. Hope the vet can fix him up today. Going through this myself with Gryphon presently.
Hope he heals quickly.

kathykeltsy

Real Name
kathy
Yes did ALL of the above. Why would you say No pain meds or antibiotics? What is your problem?

Of course!!! He just picked at it so bad overnight that the vet and me too could tell it was dead. This was on our 2nd vet trip 2 of 3

Today I asked for one of those collars so hopefully that will help that. This ones not as bad I hope. It's not bleeding like the other toe did.

About where the budgie was she was in her cage and Mogli was out and so must have got on top and so she bit him through the bar. I wish I had thought of this before but I didn't. My fault.

When they are all out Mogli is top bird due to his strength but even a budgie can do damage to a toe. Going to put a cover over the top of her cage.

He is doing ok and let the vet examine his toe.

I don't know for sure that my budgie did this but there is nothing in the room that I can find that he could have hurt it on and believe me I've looked and looked.

He has had his meds and put to bed. He was the best boy. I was so proud of him.

Last edited:

kathykeltsy

Real Name
kathy
I have a bird room that I have made safe but not against biting budgies unfortunately. That's gonna change

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sorry, Hope Mogli is OK.

:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What is your problem?

I was asking because the same was going on for me with my bird. :(
Thanks for reminding me why I have not been on AA lately.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh yes budgies can and will bite a toe through the cage bars. Birds have even been killed through cage bars, by cats, dogs, and other birds.

kathykeltsy

Real Name
kathy
Same here. Always the drama. Must be the nature of bird people. I don't know

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
There is no drama, except what you are perceiving. You misunderstood my post. Sorry you feel this way. I hope your bird is doing well.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
For birds with toe or leg injury the area may be padded fist with cotton or gauze and then sport wrap (heavy duty tape) is used and birds have a rough time biting through that material. I would cover the top of the cage as a budgie could bite a toe pretty darn hard.

kathykeltsy

Real Name
kathy
He is doing ok and not messing with it. That's what got him with the first toe. He started picking and over night had just about picked it off. I have one of those collars I can use this time if he starts that again. And yes the budgies have a cover on top of their cage now

kathykeltsy

Real Name
kathy
For birds with toe or leg injury the area may be padded fist with cotton or gauze and then sport wrap (heavy duty tape) is used and birds have a rough time biting through that material. I would cover the top of the cage as a budgie could bite a toe pretty darn hard.
I wonder why my vet never wanted to wrap his toe? That would have really helped the first time. He's an avian vet and I thought a good one

kathykeltsy

Real Name
kathy
How did the first toe die? Did you take him to an avian vet and get it wrapped? No medicine for pain and inflammation? Antibiotic for bacteria? Sure any bird can bite a bird's toe. You say the budgie was in her cage, so how could she get to the conure? Have you checked all the cage bars and toys for the possibility that he got it caught on something? Sorry for all the questions. Hope the vet can fix him up today. Going through this myself with Gryphon presently.
Hope he heals quickly.
Assuming there was no vet no meds and assuming I did everything wrong without any information in that regard is drama to me

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Had a cheekie with a broken leg and the vet wrapped that as I described above. It did heal and in the right position.

Depending on the exam by the vet, vet may have thought something wrapped around the foot would create more harm such as an open wound you could not get to or the fracture so dislocated that splinting would not have helped.

These little ones don't usually show the pain they have so some vets still put them on metacam for the pain but also for any swelling that may take place. Now little one, quick healing and don't mess around on the cages :heart: :hug8:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Assuming there was no vet no meds and assuming I did everything wrong without any information in that regard is drama to me
Carole didn't assume anything -- she was asking because she was going through the same thing with Gryphon :( It's very easy to misinterpret tone over the internet, but I think your response was uncalled for.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Ok this is the last time I am going to explain. I asked questions. I didn't assume anything. I can see where taken out of context you could get that impression. But you must have stopped reading there, and did not read my response after. I asked because I am going through the same thing. I wanted to know if he lost the toe what caused it, were meds given, etc. I said that. I also wished your bird well.
Do you think I got over 26K posts being mean and rude?

kathykeltsy

Real Name
kathy
Ok this is the last time I am going to explain. I asked questions. I didn't assume anything. I can see where taken out of context you could get that impression. But you must have stopped reading there, and did not read my response after. I asked because I am going through the same thing. I wanted to know if he lost the toe what caused it, were meds given, etc. I said that. I also wished your bird well.
Do you think I got over 26K posts being mean and rude?
Sorry I misunderstood your tone. It really did seem accusatory to me. Even now when I re-read it it does. But if you say you were only asking questions ok. I just don't get how anyone would think I would not have taken Mogli to the vet for the first Injury. I mean why would I not?
Maybe I will just go somewhere else since it seems like you're guilty until you explain yourself. Maybe next time you could say "I'm sure you took your bird to the vet and did all you could but how did he still manage to lose his toe?"

I had to clip my tiels feathers temporarily and I got reamed for it on this site. I get so sick of this. I go above and beyond for my babies. They are my life right now.