• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teaching parrot to be gentle

Bastlin

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi. I have a 10 months old Sun Conure. He is very nippy and really likes chewing on everything. Whenever I put a finger near his beak he would start nipping and chewing (not out of aggression) and it would hurt. Sometimes I can't even tell a nip from a bite. He's a very friendly birds and he trusts me a lot, but I want to teach him how to be gentle in case he is around children and strangers. Is there a way to teach him to not nip so hard?

Thanks. :sun:

Bastlin

Oh and he knows to be gentle near my face. It's just everywhere else that he bites on.

vmashley03

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
If one of my girls actually nips me I will put them down on a stand, turn my back and ignore them for a few mins. Once they are calm I will invite them back over to see me and they will give me a kiss (they started doing that on their own--and now if I put them down for nipping they will start making kissy noises at me :lol: ). Neither of them really bite but Charlie in particular has been a bit more nippy than usual so before she gets too excited I will put her on her couch or stand and give her something appropriate to chew on and praise her for it. Maybe redirecting your conure with a toy (or even activity like flying around) will help you as well. Also avoiding situations that you know will provoke a nip or bite will help as well.

Bastlin

I've tried that, but my Conure just flies to me whenever I put him down on a stand.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Is he being curious? If so, always try to make sure you have some interesting foot toys, treats and foraging items with you at all times to keep his beak busy!