• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot owners are finally given more options...

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I feel like we finally have more options when it comes to bird safe cookware and appliances. Many companies are coming up with ceramic nonstick versions of items that are PTFE & PFOA free. For years I held off on buying appliances to make my life easier for the safety of Squeeky and Scooty and it is nice to finally have some options now. I recently bought ceramic non stick pans which I absolutely love. I also bought an Oster ceramic panini maker/grill which I am going to be trying out tonight. I also want to get an actual sandwich maker (something like this Beem 3-in-1 Multi-Star Sandwich Maker, 700 Watt: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home which I have been unable to find here in the US. I wrote the company who owns Oster (Jarden) offering them the suggestion of manufacturing an actual 3 in 1 ceramic non stick sandwich maker and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I included in the email that I was part of AA and told them that parrot owners would be interested.
By the way this is the pot set we own and the panini/grill.
20140823_223106.jpg 20140831_134125.jpg

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I prefer SS, but as you say, it's good that we have options. :)
I have heard a lot of bad things about ceramic non sticks pan, they have very short lifetime depending on with brand you buy.
But I thought that @vmashley03 should buy them anyway. :D :p

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I have heard a lot of bad things about ceramic non sticks pan, they have very short lifetime depending on with brand you buy.

We mainly use SS here as well, but bought the ceramic set to have something to cook things that normally stick to SS. So far they have held up pretty well, you just have to make sure to follow the care instructions (they are more delicate then SS) to help them last longer. I haven't had any issues yet. The set I bought is from Jcpenny and they were a $300 set but I snagged them about $100 with coupons and their sale price.

The one thing that people have to be careful with is to make sure that whatever nonstick ceramic they get that it states that it is PTFE & PFOA free. It has to be free of both to be bird safe.

vmashley03

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
Haha because it says Bella?? :lol: That's a good enough reason for me :rofl: :rofl: I have been throwing around the idea of buying a ceramic pan that is PTFE & PFOA free (saw them at a cookware store--I can't remember but I think they are a German brand and supposedly very nice).

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Haha because it says Bella?? :lol: That's a good enough reason for me :rofl: :rofl: I have been throwing around the idea of buying a ceramic pan that is PTFE & PFOA free (saw them at a cookware store--I can't remember but I think they are a German brand and supposedly very nice).

The name has ya sold huh? :lol: I did a lot of research before I decided on this set. They had great reviews and the price was right :hehe: . Cooking eggs, bacon, etc is so easy. Absolutely nothing sticks and the clean up is a breeze. One suggestion with cooking with ceramic pots and pans is that you can't cook on as high of heat as it will damage the pots. The good things is that they heat up quickly and you really don't need as high of heat for it to cook the food.

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
The name has ya sold huh? :lol: I did a lot of research before I decided on this set. They had great reviews and the price was right :hehe: . Cooking eggs, bacon, etc is so easy. Absolutely nothing sticks and the clean up is a breeze. One suggestion with cooking with ceramic pots and pans is that you can't cook on as high of heat as it will damage the pots. The good things is that they heat up quickly and you really don't need as high of heat for it to cook the food.
Well I did buy a bottle of wine that said Bella on it just bc it is the name of one of my Greys (it was for my SO's bday).

Do they cook really evenly?? I like the aspect that food doesn't stick and they clean up nicely. Oh I found a pic I took of the pan I was thinking about
image.jpg
I just don't know how safe it really is

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Well I did buy a bottle of wine that said Bella on it just bc it is the name of one of my Greys (it was for my SO's bday).
Do they cook really evenly?? I like the aspect that food doesn't stick and they clean up nicely. Oh I found a pic I took of the pan I was thinking about
View attachment 184103
I just don't know how safe it really is

The ones that we have do cook evenly. I have never heard of that brand before so I can't say for certain. We have cooked with the Bella brand one with no problems with Squeeky and Scooty. An additional reason why I chose the set that I did was because several other parrot owners owned it and had cooked with it with no problems. I was cautious as well when inquiring about ceramic nonstick as it is hard trusting companies wordd now a days. I'm trying to find info on that pan that you are thinking about buying. I'll let you know what I find. Here is the set we have Bella™ 11-pc. Ceramic Nonstick Cookware Set - JCPenney

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
I bought a cheaper set of ceramic cookware not sure of the brand but they too were on sale for a little over a $100, we have used them for a year and so far they have held up fine. One tip I learned the hard way.....they truly are non stick you do not need to use any oil when cooking eggs, if you use a cooking spray on the pan then clean up is much much harder than if you just cooked the eggs with no nonstick spray or oil. OH and of course use plastic utinsels

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a Green+Life pan... lasted about a month before the non-stick coating became sticky, and its heat-conducting capabilities were substandard. I tried several other brands too, including a more expensive one. Same thing. I think it's a problem with how most companies make ceramic-coated pans... too thin of a pan, and too thin of a coating. Still searching for a good ceramic pan -- haven't found one yet. I like the idea, but I've yet to come across one that's well-made enough.

Heather F

I worked in a high end kitchenware store for five years so we are pretty picky about our pans. I've always found most of the ceramic pans I've come across to be kind of cheap (in construction if not in price) too. Not enough metal for proper heat distribution and not the right kinds of metal either.

We recently picked up a set of non-PFOA/PTFE nonstick cookware (a European brand called Stoneline) that actually felt like proper cookware at the National Exhibition demo show where we got it. We haven't tried it out yet but we will give a review once we do.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I have the Calphalon ceramic set from Bed Bath & Beyond and love them. They heat up really fast and evenly. Not setting the heat as high definitely applies with these pans!