• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Calling all Jardines

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think the Jardine parrot lookes like emeralds. So lovely but I seldom read anything about them on AA.
Are there any Jardine parents here? What is the true personality like and do you have any photo

th.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are a few of these special poicephalus parrots around here! Hope to see then comment.

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
Joey is a lesser Jardine. He is 16, and I've had him since he was four months old.

He went through a nippy period, but outgrew it. He is definitely a one-person bird. He likes to cuddle when he feels like it, but he also enjoys independent play.

He is very sweet most of the time.

However, he is very stubborn. If he wants to do something, he will keep testing me over and over again. Yesterday he took a button off of my nightgown.

I love him, and he is a great companion.

Despicio

Walking the driveway
I have a blackwing (poss crossed with a greater) Jardine's cock named Brid. He's 2 years old and I got him a few months ago. He's very gentle and I think, rather dim. He has managed to learn a few simple tricks already though so he's not as much of a cabbage as I feared at first. He's generally quiet but will have periods of calling when he's excited, even when he's being 'loud', it's not as loud as something like an amazon. Most of his calls are quite nice and he can whistle a lovely tune but he also does a horrible high pitched whistle once or twice a day.

Brid is also obsessed with licking/preening people and will spend hours sitting licking an arm, if given the chance. I'm fairly sure that's not normal...

He likes to chew up bits of wood but otherwise doesn't seem to be as playful as my senegal or little parrots. Maybe that will change as he gets more used to having different toys (I don't know what his previous home was like.)

He's very good and will go to anyone. Hopefully he won't change too much as he matures (apart from getting more red on him!)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
AW Joey you are so special. Can I see more photos of him please?

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
In June, I got my first Jardine's named Bogart. He was 3 months old at the time. Bogart was sweet, affectionate and very playful. Unfortunately he succombed to a respiratory problem on August 9th, and his necropsy didn't turn up anything conclusive. Needless to say I was extremely distraught at having lost my precious little angel at such a young age.

One week later I got another Jardine's, Teak, a 4 month old precious little sweetheart. She/he is the love of my life. So very affectionate, and she'll go to anyone, although she does prefer to hang out with me at this point in time..

I would recommend a Jardines, hands down. However, you must be aware that they do go through a nippy phase. Bogart did, but so far Teak has not.

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
I uploaded a picture of Joey after a misting, playing with his favorite toys -- a stick and a box.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Joey is a lesser Jardine. He is 16, and I've had him since he was four months old.

He went through a nippy period, but outgrew it. He is definitely a one-person bird. He likes to cuddle when he feels like it, but he also enjoys independent play.

He is very sweet most of the time.

However, he is very stubborn. If he wants to do something, he will keep testing me over and over again. Yesterday he took a button off of my nightgown.

I love him, and he is a great companion.

First I am amazed you still have buttons on any thing and next that you buy anything with buttons! Joey does sound like a dear though.