• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Calling all Cape Parronts! (brown-necked or grey headed!) :)

Katyo91

Meeting neighbors
I've become really interested in these species and am starting my research on them way in advance because it probably won't be another 2 years until I would get one! Based on what I've read so far they seem to have all of the characteristics I'd want my 3rd and final flock member to have!

-larger in size (comparable to a Timneh grey)
-can be both cuddly and independent
-supposedly have an excellent speaking ability (just a plus!)
-"gentle giants"?? is this for the most part true?
-"relatively" quiet (i do have a sun conure which doesn't seem all that loud to me)

i know I've read that they are stubborn which I'm okay with because I already have quite the diva of a sun conure :p lol

The only bummer is that these guys aren't very easy to find! I think that I would prefer to rescue and not get a newly weaned bird...

Is there anyone who has something to add ? I'd like to know average costs for bird only and what age you got them?

They have climbed to the top of my list of "dream birds" that I would actually be capable of getting so I'd love to know as much about them as possible to compare/contrast my other favorites.

Or does anyone have any other species suggestions that might fit my criteria??

BTW You guys are the best, I love reading this forum! :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Shade has a beautiful cape. She might be able to help you.

Matt

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
You can read this thread - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Cape parrots | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

As far as stuff to add, I find it easier to answer specific questions, so don't hesitate to ask.

The only bummer is that these guys aren't very easy to find! I think that I would prefer to rescue and not get a newly weaned bird...

While true, it is starting to get easier and easier to find them in the States, in the recent months, I've seen more and more looking for new homes - the downside of their growing popularity.

I'd like to know average costs for bird only and what age you got them?

Most people on this forum that have Capes have gotten them as babies (around 4 months of age). Price also varies depending on location, and, depending on the breeder, sex of the bird. In the States, you'll find them generally between 1,600 and 2,000 (general rule, some can be more expensive) and in Canada, between 2,000 and 2,800.

-supposedly have an excellent speaking ability (just a plus!)

This depends from bird to bird (as with any species) so there aren't any guaranties that all will talk. I have a few Poicephalus and my Cape is the best talker out of all of them.

-"gentle giants"?? is this for the most part true?

They are birds and like all birds can bite. And a Cape bite hurts - that beak can put down a lot of pressure. With that said, getting to know your bird's body language goes a long way in bite prevention. Mine has recently gone through the terrible twos and it was an interesting (yet anticipated) experience. She still needs to learn what is appropriate but is she a "mean" bird? No. I do think like with all parrots, they need to be taught what is ok and what isn't. Mine can also spend hours wanting to snuggle and get her head scratched but if she's not in the mood for it, best not push yourself on her.

-"relatively" quiet (i do have a sun conure which doesn't seem all that loud to me)

Pois are generally more quiet than other parrots - I know my guys are far quieter than my mom's cockatoos. But Capes, like all Pois, are capable of a high pitch call which is not for everyone. On repeat, it can get annoying but, in my experience, it doesn't happen every day and when Léa does do it, it's not constant. There are times where my house is very quiet.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I also have a Cape Parrot, a female named Lola. She's almost four and a half years old now. I'd say your description is quite accurate, but I would warn that my Lola is kind of a one person bird. I can do absolutely whatever I want with her-- we trust each other completely and it's an honor :) But, she isn't crazy about other people. The only times she's ever bitten were when she was "warning" me to get away from strangers. She likes my S.O., and she likes my mom, enough at least to let them in/around the cage to feed her when I'm not around, and they can give her scratches, but that's about the extent of it. She doesn't take very well to strangers otherwise, and a bite from a Cape is NOT something you want to be on the receiving end of. That is, however largely my fault-- I didn't socialize her all that well and didn't have many guests around, so she was pretty much used to it just being us. Around me, however, she couldn't be any sweeter, all the time. She's my heart and soul :heart:

One thing I always like to warn hopeful Cape owners about as well is how pricey they are! Not just they themselves but their upkeep. Lola can strip powder coating off of cages with her beak-- easily-- and she needs to be housed in stainless steel or hard anodized aluminum. She also plows through toys like there is no tomorrow. She has destroyed $35, $40 toys in a day or two. Making your own toys helps a lot, but of course will cost you in time.

All of that said, she is my ultimate dream bird and in my eyes, she is perfect :) She is everything I wanted in a parrot and more. And sadly, although they're still on the rarer side, cape parrots are coming up for rehome more and more often. I have a strong feeling that especially if you are willing to wait two years, you will likely be able to find one that needs a good home.

Scootersmom

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Deborah
I agree with what the others posted. Scotty is huge fun, has a huge sense of humor, and is quite a good talker. He lived in a bird store for a couple of years (we think) and he has a huge repertoire of sayings, some of which are rarely heard, some he uses all the time. Some days he likes to sneak out of his food and water doors when I'm feeding him (he knows it isn't time yet and goes back in cheerfully), but on some occasions he prefers to hover near the dish and bang his beak on it when I'm closing it, saying "Hey! Stop it!".

Scotty seems to be a low-destruction Cape. He is in an aluminum cage and I had to get a special PVC segment to protect the cork on his water bottle, but it takes him AGES to chew up toys. He hangs upside down and snarls at them and bangs them around, but he's actually not that big a chewer. The big expense with him is keeping him in nuts! That beak was purpose-built to open and pick the meat out of nut-like things and they have a higher than average fat requirement, so he gets a couple of pistachios in his meal and he forages for 3 or so almonds a day.

We found him by accident -- we weren't looking specifically for a Cape, but for a medium bird that would be fun for my husband (and naturally the bird decided I was the nertz....) It was a couple of years ago, so I don't know if what we paid would be indicative at all. They did give us a bit of a price break because he'd been around for a while and it seemed to me some of the store staff were afraid of him. He was said to be 1.5 years at the time, but one of the employees estimated he'd been there at least two years and was probably closer to 3.

He has never bitten me (well, once, but he was falling and my finger was just what he happened to catch) but he has bitten my husband several times. It seems more in the spirit of rough play with a smidgen of territorial behavior, he's not downright aggressive, and we've learned to read his body language pretty well. He's not above saying "step up", raising his foot, and then trying to sneak in a bite. It's been almost a year since the last time, however, and he's generally sweet with him as long as he's away from his cage.

Basically, he's kind of perfect as far as I'm concerned!

Katyo91

Meeting neighbors
I love all of the detailed replies. Thank you so much! I feel like the more I read about these birds, the more I fall in love with them as a species! :) Wish I didnt have to wait so long to add a new bird to my family. But I know when I do it will be so exciting! And I hope it is a Cape!

So do all of you who have responded so far have grey-headed capes or brow-necked? Just curious! :)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I love all of the detailed replies. Thank you so much! I feel like the more I read about these birds, the more I fall in love with them as a species! :) Wish I didnt have to wait so long to add a new bird to my family. But I know when I do it will be so exciting! And I hope it is a Cape!

So do all of you who have responded so far have grey-headed capes or brow-necked? Just curious! :)

I have a grey headed parrot, lotus15 has a brown necked parrot.

Scootersmom

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Deborah
Pretty sure Scotty is a brown-necked, but don't know for sure. The color difference is pretty subtle, although I can see there is orange mixed in the with grey in his neck feathers. He's on the small side, which is consistent with brown necked.

Rusty

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Russell
Hi Katy,
I have a two and half year old brown necked female cape named Willow and she is the sweetest bird. She has never bitten me hard and when she does bite it's while we're playing and that's usually when she's on her back playing with my hand and she stops if she thinks she's hurting me. She went thru a stage for several months where she would pinch me thinking it was funny, but I got her to understand that I didn't like it and she has stopped. Like Scotty Willow has a great sense of humor but can be quite stubborn at times. I really didn't socialize her well so she really is a one person bird at this point, but she is not afraid of people, she just hasn't been handled by other people. Unfortunately Willow never really picked up any words except hello which my other bird taught her, I think this may be due that some parrots have trouble picking up words from men because our voices are deeper then woman's and children's. She does all sorts of whistle that I taught her though and she loves to mimic several ring tones on my phone especially a duck call and a robot which is quite funny. She is pretty quiet most of the time but when my other bird a Yellow Collar Mini Macaw starts to scream she sometimes joins in. Willow isn't too destructive, she loves foot toys especially little mini sneakers and beads and she goes thru periods when she will chomp thru wood toys like crazy and others when she ignores them. I keep her in a powder coated cage and had no problems at all with her chewing the bars. I highly recommend a Cape parrot if you're looking for a sweet active bird who loves to play and you have the time to devote to them, because I would hate to see one stuck in a cage all the time. :dancing:

Katyo91

Meeting neighbors
:hug8: reading about all of your capes makes me feel more and more like this may be the kind of bird for me someday down the road! It's so nice to hear from you guys!